The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

19 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Unless they feed the lions to the gazelles and the hyena to the zebras....that would be ironic.

Still a circle of life, just a screwed up one.

• Hydration 1

This is what happens when you don't believe in social distancing because it infringes on your freedom:

The bump in coronavirus cases is most pronounced in states without stay at home orders. Oklahoma saw a 53% increase in cases over the past week, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University. Over same time, cases jumped 60% in Arkansas, 74% in Nebraska, and 82% in Iowa. South Dakota saw a whopping 205% spike.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/17/politics/republican-governors-stay-at-home-coronavirus/index.html?fbclid=IwAR0VBYPuXWEAfRd9_Ck1hZRIccOJUQrpJjEc_fSHGjdcfm4_yeot7B9-n1A

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

My grocery run yesterday: On the drive there I saw a group of young kids being kids, no social distance; two women on a walk, no distance; main street full of cars; hardware store with security limiting entry and yes the lot was pretty full; Extra Foods: lot about half full but people visiting on the lot, no limit to entry, no sanitizer except at checkout, people generally maintaining distance, some employees with gloves but most without. 

Many people do not seem to be able to function in isolation. A large number of people have completing the necessaries of life like shopping as their social life. Especially older folks. Surprising number of people don't have the capacity to understand their risks. I am in a rural community and many people will not take the virus seriously unless it impacts them directly. 

Big news from a NYC doctor who was saying he was losing 80% of the patients he put on a ventilator. He realized patients needed oxygen and not forced air. He is now advocating CPAP machines with oxygen and having patients moved from one side to the other. 

• Vintage 2

With Trump now saying, "It's up to the states to decide how and when they bring things back to normal", I have two thoughts. Didn't he just say a day or two ago that he would make the decision? And, I think he might be setting the states become a scapegoat for when it doesn't succeed. If it blows up in, let's say, Florida, then he can say, "Well the Governor there really made a huge mistake, it wasn't me!".

• Upvote 2
4 minutes ago, wloutet said:

With Trump now saying, "It's up to the states to decide how and when they bring things back to normal", I have two thoughts. Didn't he just say a day or two ago that he would make the decision? And, I think he might be setting the states become a scapegoat for when it doesn't succeed. If it blows up in, let's say, Florida, then he can say, "Well the Governor there really made a huge mistake, it wasn't me!".

His handlers realized they politicize it by tweeting to "liberate" these states and get his nutjob followers to protest.

I think Civil War, Part Deux is on its way down there.

• Upvote 3
5 minutes ago, wloutet said:

That's exactly what I thought.  He's all over the map and his one goal is to do things his way without accepting any responsibility if/when it goes wrong.  

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

I was talking to a friend last night and he had a thought regarding a potential treatment:

If alcohol kills the COVID, why not try inhaling alcohol through a vaporizer. Might keep the lungs clearer, help kill the virus.

I though about it, and on the surface it seems logical. But how and where do you get a hold of somebody that would actually know if it has a chance or not?

• Wat 2
8 minutes ago, gurn said:

I was talking to a friend last night and he had a thought regarding a potential treatment:

If alcohol kills the COVID, why not try inhaling alcohol through a vaporizer. Might keep the lungs clearer, help kill the virus.

I though about it, and on the surface it seems logical. But how and where do you get a hold of somebody that would actually know if it has a chance or not?

That's a good idea but it may cause more harm than good.

26 minutes ago, stawns said:

His handlers realized they politicize it by tweeting to "liberate" these states and get his nutjob followers to protest.

I think Civil War, Part Deux is on its way down there.

Who knows with Civil War, but I can't see how those tweets aren't considered treasonous?  He's literally advocating for the overthrow of the governments in those states.  In my books that's treason.

Edited by Wilbur
  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Who knows with Civil War, but I can't see how those tweets aren't considered treasonous?  He's literally advocating for the overthrow of the governments in those states.  In my books that's treason.

No argument here, but this is treason case #7654 in his 4 years

• Hydration 2
5 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Ironically, he's committed no less than 17 acts of potential treason by the laws since taking power.  But those most staunchly behind the 2nd amendment, defend him.  They defend him while defending the same amendment that was written to ensure people like him never took or held power.

• Hydration 2
20 minutes ago, Lionized27 said:

That's a good idea but it may cause more harm than good.

I wouldn't know, but I do wonder if maybe it would work. If so how and to who, do you pass the idea to?

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

I wouldn't know, but I do wonder if maybe it would work. If so how and to who, do you pass the idea to?

I'd imagine this would go very bad.  Alcohol kills all types of cells.  The reason hand sanitizer doesn't screw up our hands horribly is because the outer layers of our skin is comprised of a lot of already dead skills cells.

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I'd imagine this would go very bad.  Alcohol kills all types of cells.  The reason hand sanitizer doesn't screw up our hands horribly is because the outer layers of our skin is comprised of a lot of already dead skills cells.

As I said, I would not know, but wonder if the actual medical folk would consider the idea.

10 minutes ago, gurn said:

I honestly feel there are so many things that alcohol does in a bad way to the body, like killing oxygen rich blood cells and promoting dehydration.

Just not sure...I've seen the effects on a liver (worked in an alcohol/drug centre years ago).  Healthy liver looks just like....liver.  Someone who'd died from sclerosis had a liver that was a shrivelled, hard, rock looking thing.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I honestly feel there are so many things that alcohol does in a bad way to the body, like killing oxygen rich blood cells and promoting dehydration.

Just not sure...I've seen the effects on a liver (worked in an alcohol/drug centre years ago).  Healthy liver looks just like....liver.  Someone who'd died from sclerosis had a liver that was a shrivelled, hard, rock looking thing.

It would do more bad things to the body than good.  Just like ingesting isopropyl alcohol can cause bleeding in the digesting tract because it is killing cells along the way, so would inhaling aerosolized alcohol kill important lung cells.  The ethanol does the same thing, just not as severely because it is way more dilute and I'd imagine it is harmful to things like the liver because that is where the alcohol becomes more concentrated in the body with lots of drinking over time.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1
5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Just announced.  Canada and the US have extended the border closure by 30 days.

America said we'll open the border.  Canada said nope.  The border stays closed.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-saturday-covid-19-update-1.5537251?fbclid=IwAR1QUtVXDD2Yb_bL7dhI6yVBhoJ7h0BoBQBPRNXzTXu3waxV79vC_sK8irk

https://torontosun.com/news/provincial/i-dont-want-them-in-ontario-ford-says-of-americans-until-pandemic-under-control

Doug Ford again is right (don't think I'd live long enough to say that again & again :lol:)

• Thanks 2
  • -SN- locked and unlocked this topic
  • -SN- featured and pinned this topic
  • -SN- unfeatured this topic