The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

38 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Amazes me anything gets done there....

Illinois and N.Y have been getting screwed by this administration and losing lot of lives.

People have been talking about Biden platform, for us here “I am not Trump” will be enough.

Those in better position can talk about platforms and other things.

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

My neighbours are about to be introduced to Marilyn Manson, RATM and G & R.

We share a balcony (with a 6 foot glass divider in between).  They've got 3 carloads of guests over, including a dog that they're letting run loose on my yard...the one that we just finished landscaping yesterday (including fresh grass seed).

I told them, but they speak very little English.  We're normally friendly but I'm about to go ballistic.  I'm working HARD to keep my family safe ... even lost my job over it.  I'll be damned if these dimwits are going to cram in and invade my space.

Smoking and the smoke drifts right into my kitchen.  Had to close my patio door, but am not happy.  So let's play some music, shall we?  Trying to be positive, but they apparently are all here to wash their cars in our shared driveway space.  Hope they like loud music.....Dope Show here we come...

My neighbour called the police because I was playing Social Distortion too loud. The VPD came over and arrested my neighbour. 

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 2
  • Wat 1

9 hours ago, Jester13 said:

The damage it would do to your lung capillaries and alveoli would absolutely be detrimental to your health and make it much worse. Even steroidal asthma inhalers can decrease a person's immune system and can be worse for people for preventing and fighting infection. 

So can the lack of Oxygen

9 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Regardless of your 'anecdotal' sightings, this province is doing extremely well social distancing to flatten the curve. 

98% of people dying are 80 and older so obviously those folk need to stay home. We are doing well.

Panic is unnecessary but we need to continue what we are doing. Our professionals making the decisions are doing extremely well.

I agree with what your are saying Kanuk

But, not saying anything, only makes it sound OK...….

Where I think Boudrais's point is it is still happening and there is still room for improvement

I would also note that a lot of the 80 year olders, are in nursing homes and can't escape

and once the virus is in there, it spreads like wild fire in there

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Jester13 said:

^That's Alberta.

Hasn't BC already taken measures to make grocery stores safer, such as limiting the number of customers, the directional arrows, hand sanitizer at entrance, and plastic shields at the tills?

So if I get this right, you are advocating the following

#1...……….disregard the recommendations of the BC health authority....because you know better

#2...……….Disregard the concerns of others...……….because your rights are more important

#3...……….Show no respect for your fellow man or woman

#4...……….and now you are tell us that we should ignore the concerns of the staff, because well, they would not have the same concerns as the people in Alberta

I am sorry, but I don't get your position on this

You seem to be arguing against common sense

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...………...a Republican

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

they are opening some golf courses here on the Island.

Love golf but I don't know what to think about that.

Not sure if it's not a bit too soon. 

Hey

I live in Nanaimo and traveled to Duncan to play last week

Before we even left we had agreed to a set of rules we would abide by

Drove down alone, kept 2 m distance from anyone, no touching anyone else's ball (I put that one in there for you) but we actually agreed to that (LOL)

When we got there, the course had a whole set of rules as well

1 in the pro shop at a time

2 M separation

2" deep holes

no touching the flag pole (it stays in)

lengthened the time between Tee-offs by 50%

and had 2 Course Marshall's out enforcing the rules

Lounge was closed as was the snack bar

I honestly could not think of anything else

I felt very safe

If anyone could give me a reason to think this was any worse that going for a walk with the dog on a busy street

I am all ears...….

As a person that has worked in emergency preparedness, I though it was very safe

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Speak for yourself. I'm in ontario and daycares are closed. My wife is a nurse and I work in the alchohol industry.  Things are tough right now having a little one. I'd pay double to have daycares open let alone free.

Daycare is more essential than tim hortons and Canadian tire in my eyes. 

I have to disagree on this one. Only parents should be looking after their children. The problem has been governments not taxing and forcing corporations to pay fair wages and fair taxes. The Trickledown Theory has yet again been a disaster for society. Look at the oil industry in Alberta for example and all the orphan wells that the oil industry left for the taxpayers to clean up all the while royalties were being cut from 30% to 3%. The Albertans loved their Trump style Klein but he allowed the oil companies to right their own environmental policies while they lined his pockets quite cheaply as he loved his drink. 
I could go on and on with this rant but please people use this downtime to really look into some of the history and how we the sheep have been fleeced. 
I hope somehow we can can come out of this a better stronger society. A society and a civilization like a chain is only as strong as it’s weakest link and this pandemic has exposed several weak links. 
The scary part is that the coming climate change will test us well beyond this pandemic. Best we strengthen our chain/children now. 

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

So can the lack of Oxygen

Huh? 

57 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

So if I get this right, you are advocating the following

#1...……….disregard the recommendations of the BC health authority....because you know better

#2...……….Disregard the concerns of others...……….because your rights are more important

#3...……….Show no respect for your fellow man or woman

#4...……….and now you are tell us that we should ignore the concerns of the staff, because well, they would not have the same concerns as the people in Alberta

I am sorry, but I don't get your position on this

You seem to be arguing against common sense

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...………...a Republican

How the heck did you get to these conclusions? You obviously haven't taken any time to read or try to comprehend anything I've said. Seems like a common occurrence in this thread with a few posters. And now I'm a republican? Yeesh.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Huh? 

How the heck did you get to these conclusions? You obviously haven't taken any time to read or try to comprehend anything I've said. Seems like a common occurrence in this thread with a few posters. And now I'm a republican? Yeesh.

I get you bud. :)

Got you at: not wanting it to be written as Law. 

And that this proposition of it becoming Law is in Calgary.

I think we all go through times of miscommunication and mismanage our ability to transfer desired thinking patterns. 

The total possibility of communication via posting is about 10% and can easily be taken very differently than intended.

Sometimes we mean something, but in the grander context of the conversation, it may seem standoffish. We further discuss and clarify and move on. 

It is clear to me that you are abiding by common sense, are intelligent, and contribute greatly to the calm needed during these times, all the while raising the possibility of being forced to be something we’re not, by Law.

I appreciate that.

Edited by Me_

9 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Huh? 

Yes, inhalers do exactly what you say, but the flip to that is for those that need them, they enhance the quality and volume of air, by opening up the airways and reducing inflammation.

So in fact, it provides you with more oxygen...………. my answer

As per the Numbers 1 to 4

#1...…….You seem to relish it is only a recommendation, to enter store singularly......meaning only 1 family member needs to go in

#2...……..you seem to champion the right of couples going into the store together, even if it crowds the aisles

#3...……..By taking the above positions, you basically say...to hell with your concerns, I will do it, its legal, totally disregarding their fears

#4...……..Then you state the quoted statement about workers in Alberta being concerned, by basically saying well that was an Albertian quote

As if workers in BC, would not have the same concerns.

To me, your position is pro, the aggressors rights, and totally ignoring what should be common sense, and respecting those people that struggle with those fears, for what ever reason.

#5...…….My tendon is chronic , and I would have bought the shoes earlier, as I need some shoe, and none others are loose enough, so my need is paramount, and I do ice it every night, I also have prescription anti-inflamitory cream to put on, as well as ice. 

I rest it and still it won't settle down...………….so I did not enter Costco, lightly, as my wife has cancer, and I have Heart and lung disease, so going in there was a last resort.

Even in an area of the province that does not seem to have any/few Covid-19 cases...………..I am not paranoid, I like to be smart about it.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Me_ said:

These idiots can't get past one month of social distancing and they're going to be dragging this all out for months longer for the majority of us who are trying our best to do our part.

• Cheers 4

1 minute ago, janisahockeynut said:

Yes, inhalers do exactly what you say, but the flip to that is for those that need them, they enhance the quality and volume of air, by opening up the airways and reducing inflammation.

So in fact, it provides you with more oxygen...………. my answer

As per the Numbers 1 to 4

#1...…….You seem to relish it is only a recommendation, to enter store singularly......meaning only 1 family member needs to go in

#2...……..you seem to champion the right of couples going into the store together, even if it crowds the aisles

#3...……..By taking the above positions, you basically say...to hell with your concerns, I will do it, its legal, totally disregarding their fears

#4...……..Then you state the quoted statement about workers in Alberta being concerned, by basically saying well that was an Albertian quote

As if workers in BC, would not have the same concerns.

To me, your position is pro, the aggressors rights, and totally ignoring what should be common sense, and respecting those people that struggle with those fears, for what ever reason.

#5...…….My tendon is chronic , and I would have bought the shoes earlier, as I need some shoe, and none others are loose enough, so my need is paramount, and I do ice it every night, I also have prescription anti-inflamitory cream to put on, as well as ice. 

I rest it and still it won't settle down...………….so I did not enter Costco, lightly, as my wife has cancer, and I have Heart and lung disease, so going in there was a last resort.

Even in an area of the province that does not seem to have any/few Covid-19 cases...………..I am not paranoid, I like to be smart about it.

You're wrong on all accounts. Inhaling alcohol or any other kind of non prescribed medicine is harmful, and my point was that even a prescribed one such as asthma inhalers can be detrimental in ways. You taking what I said to assume that I don't know the benefits of it is just unnecessary, as that had nothing to do with anything I was saying. You added that assumption.

1) I'm not relishing anything. It is a recommendation, that is just a pure fact. What I relish is people doing their best to follow recommendations as best as possible, and I also relish that there are many situations where safety can still be the utmost importance and followed, even if recommendations are not 100% taken. 

2) I champion couples to make their decisions that they believe is right, all while advocating for people to do the right thing. But I'm definitely not advocating any crowding of aisles, and I don't understand why you would think otherwise. 

3) Not my positions.

4) you want grocery laws because of how other provinces are calling for it, as their covid situations aren't going as well as BC? 

https://www.vicnews.com/sports/all-golf-courses-in-the-province-should-be-closed-to-prevent-virus-spreading-british-columbia-golf-says/ 

Please read the a I've article. This is why I posted earlier that every single one of us can be better. Golf courses are shut down in Alberta. BC Golf Association is requesting all golf courses shut down, yet you went golfing in Duncan. Your hands are not clean. And don't get me wrong, I'm not criticising you for going. You took the correct precautions and that's great, and I applaud you for it, but it is still an example of hypocrisy, which we are all guilty of if we dig a little deeper. And my point with saying the article is from Alberta is to say that their situation is different than BC, just like the golf courses. I'm not an advocate for callouts or witch hunts. I'm an advocate for trust in our community members and our provincial government. 

Since you haven't been able to pick up on my stances at all and instead think I'm pro aggressor and don't respect people with fears, allow me to clearly state that I'm fully aware there are many fearful and panicked people right now, and I fully respect that. 

Where I think we differ is in delivery towards others who don't follow the recommendations, as well as that I don't believe panic and fear trumps calm and sensibility. The respect goes both ways.

5) I wasn't criticizing your decision to go and buy shoes. I respect that you made that decision to go and that you practiced SD as best as possible. I used that as an example to show that we all have our own unique circumstances and that we should all respect each other for making our adult decisions and trust that we're making the right choices, rather than putting judgement onto others that they're in the wrong and we're not. 

I'll use us both as an example: You did have the option of getting your shoes when you also buy groceries, as it saves a trip and limits the amount of times you go to Costco, which is a recommendation. There are other options, but you chose what you chose. I'm ok with your choice and do not think you should've done one over the other, as long as proper SD is done then I'm all for it. I respect your decision. For me, I get groceries with my wife, even though the recommendation is to try not to do that. But we go together because we live downtown, do not own a vehicle, and we buy enough for three weeks so that we don't have to go as often, which is a good thing. We also are highly conscious of SD practice and others around us, just like you. I could go alone and make multiple trips, but we've decided we're safer in a variety of ways when we go together. 

This is in no way advocating for crowded aisles or any of the assumptions you've put onto my posts. Emotions are running high, I get that, which is why I prefer calm and sensibility during a time of crisis. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

A lot of people say that we can't trust the Chinese numbers. Well, I'm not convinced we can trust the numbers from the USA either. The graph below appears to be 'capped'. Maybe it is daily test capacity, but i also think that under reporting would ease the angst around the economy, in the eyes of the american administration.

image.png.610f6ba996baf70e5981b6e69c804f2c.png