The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

29 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

An interesting read...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-ontario-recovery-stage-1.5586557

This article is a great explanation as to why BC has done an exceptional job in dealing with Covid-19, compared to (in this case) Ontario. One of the more striking theories, is the approach put forth to the people of the province. Rather than having the 'dog and pony show' of blending medical experts and politicians presenting information to the public, BC has pushed a medical expertise first; political elements secondary. This has given the population a more consistent and concise explanation of the health situation, as well as a language of 'we, us, ours' that has encouraged the people to work together and face the challenge together. This solid message, combined with the encouragement to help each other and to say calm and be kind, has had an impact on the psyche of our people. I think all of us owe a lot to Dr. Henry, Mr. Dix and Premier Horgan (as well as the many others that work with them) for putting together an incredibly thoughtful and cohesive approach.

I'd just like to highlight a stat that is very significant for this province, that will hopefully relieve some of the anxiety I see on CDC. As of

May 26, here are the stats for active cases in BC...

Fraser Health: 168

Coastal Health: 83

Interior Health; Vancouver Island Health; Northern Health: 7 (this is an inclusive stat)

New cases continue to be low since early May and are usually related to institutions or large business (packing companies). The team that does the tracking in this province have done a terrific job as well.

We still need to be cautious and continue applying the measures/guidelines that we have come to learn. If the numbers start to spike (as they probably will), we will need to be more vigilant. Here in BC, we have discovered that we can work together and flatten the curve if/when it is required. It's something we may have live with for quite some time.

Be kind, be calm, and be safe.

You make a lot of good points higgy.

I agree with pretty much everything you've mentioned. 

It still concerns me GREATLY that Henry/Horgan have taken the point of view that it's in the best interests of the province to send children back to school.  I understand all of the protocols/measures they're taking and I STILL have great concerns.  I don't think many people would have caused much fuss whatsoever if they had shut down schools until Sept at the earliest.  I mean in the big picture - it's 4 weeks more of the same and realistically, the K-5 kids are only attending 2x per week in June and the older kids even less so one has to ask the question - is the risk worth the reward in sending kids back to be babysat for 8 days total in June? 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, wloutet said:

Are you old enough to have had the strap at school?.

heh, I'm old enough to have the strap given to me on weekends by Mistress Diana.....but that's a story for another board.:ph34r:

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

heh, I'm old enough to have the strap given to me on weekends by Mistress Diana.....but that's a story for another board.:ph34r:

Just curious.....did you have a hard time finding diapers because of Covid19?

If Dr Bonnie is moving to a Herd immunity approach... at least be consistent...

No overnight summer camps as kids can “transmit virus” yet rationale for early return to school was because kids do not easily transmit virus .... need more scientific data pa-lease
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Me_ said:

DTES?

Down town east side.

I thought you had to show that you made at least 5k in the last year and forced out of work due to covid etc...

Some are fudging their applications. 

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Down town east side.

I thought you had to show that you made at least 5k in the last year and forced out of work due to covid etc...

Why wouldn't they if able to when they can get away with copious other violent and thieving crimes down there as well with no recourse.

no way they will be found and prosecuted when living at no fixed address, make one up. government doesn't even flag semi-fraudulently looking claims.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

No overnight summer camps as kids can “transmit virus” yet rationale for early return to school was because kids do not easily transmit virus .... need more scientific data pa-lease

Exactly kos.

I brought up the conflicting messaging coming from leadership several pages ago but it has to be revisited because it's just too ludicrous:

Wear a mask, but not at school - it's safe.

No large gatherings, but it's ok at school since it's safe.

Kids can't transmit the virus and/or aren't really effected by it - but hold on a second, we're still gathering research on this.

Keep your bubble small - but not at school, it's safe.

Social distance at all times, but not at school, it's safe.

I don't think there's a face-palm emoji large enough to cover the mixed-messaging coming down from the highest provincial level right now. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Fanuck said:

You make a lot of good points higgy.

I agree with pretty much everything you've mentioned. 

It still concerns me GREATLY that Henry/Horgan have taken the point of view that it's in the best interests of the province to send children back to school.  I understand all of the protocols/measures they're taking and I STILL have great concerns.  I don't think many people would have caused much fuss whatsoever if they had shut down schools until Sept at the earliest.  I mean in the big picture - it's 4 weeks more of the same and realistically, the K-5 kids are only attending 2x per week in June and the older kids even less so one has to ask the question - is the risk worth the reward in sending kids back to be babysat for 8 days total in June? 

Yeah, I understand the concern; especially for folks living in the Coastal and Fraser Health Regions.  Seeing as there are +5000 children of essential service workers that have been attending schools since the shutdown, I suspect that the tracking team have kept a careful watch on staff and students.  I would think that if it were such a bad situation as what some are suggesting, this process would have been shut down.  Yet we have heard nothing. 

Regardless, if I had school age children and lived in Vancouver/Fraser areas, I would probably opt to keep the kiddies at home. I wouldn't have a problem in the remaining 3 health regions, but only if both parents are working and/or the child has special needs that would benefit from the school environment.

8 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Exactly kos.

I brought up the conflicting messaging coming from leadership several pages ago but it has to be revisited because it's just too ludicrous:

Wear a mask, but not at school - it's safe.

No large gatherings, but it's ok at school since it's safe.

Kids can't transmit the virus and/or aren't really effected by it - but hold on a second, we're still gathering research on this.

Keep your bubble small - but not at school, it's safe.

Social distance at all times, but not at school, it's safe.

I don't think there's a face-palm emoji large enough to cover the mixed-messaging coming down from the highest provincial level right now. 

I'm sure this will all be discussed in parliament, once they deem it safe to reopen of course. 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Summer camps are run by teenagers and young adults as group leaders.  Definitely a good idea to keep these crazy world zoos closed.  Dr.Henry is a scientist and has access to all the data available regarding Covid- 19 in BC.  If it weren't for her, we would be in a far worse situation here in BC.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

I'm sure this will all be discussed in parliament, once they deem it safe to reopen of course. 

My  daughter wants an all day  birthday party next week with 9 friends coming over ...

I wonder if Doctor Bonnie is willing to come over and supervise them...  No masks on any of them of course......

• Wat 2

5 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Summer camps are run by teenagers and young adults as group leaders.  Definitely a good idea to keep these crazy world zoos closed.  Dr.Henry is a scientist and has access to all the data available regarding Covid- 19 in BC.  If it weren't for her, we would be in a far worse situation here in BC.

Gave Dr. Bonnie an A  + for the month of March/April

Gave Dr. Bonnie an F  for the month of May

Luckily earlier decisions have had a bigger impact. 

Way too many mixed messages she gave out the last few weeks....   people are no longer acting safe when out.   Part of this is too many mixed messages by Dr. Bonnie.....

I really think we will see  a larger 2nd wave of Covid as a result of this. 

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Wat 2
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Down town east side.

Highly likely yes.

However, maybe for some, it’s the opportunity they may need in order to get ahead...

That one push they needed...

But for most fraudulent claims, you are right.

7 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Gave Dr. Bonnie an A  + for the month of March/April

Gave Dr. Bonnie an F  for the month of May

Luckily earlier decisions have had a bigger impact. 

Way too many mixed messages she gave out the last few weeks....   people are no longer acting safe when out.   Part of this is too many mixed messages by Dr. Bonnie.....

I really think we will see  a larger 2nd wave of Covid as a result of this. 

It’s not just Dr. Bonnie.

Societies all across the Globe are tired of doing nothing. 

I don’t think a second, much harder wave is preventable.