The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

The credit for BC low rates of Covid should primarily go right to the citizens of BC.

People here so far have done an amazing job .

85% of BC highschool parents knew better than the BC gov and did NOT follow the governments advice about sending their kids to school.

People should be encouraged to use PPE when working around others  indoors.......     this is just COMMEN SENSE........

Dr. B has a sweet pair of Fluevog shoes... when i was younger i preferred Dr. Martens though....   but her earlier  lack of support for Mask wearing is pretty surprising.....

I remember you.  You used to use your Dr. Martens in high school to stump on the nerdy students like Bonnie Henry's male friends.  Lol.

3 minutes ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

I remember you.  You used to use your Dr. Martens in high school to stump on the nerdy students like Bonnie Henry's male friends.  Lol.

Nope.  I love nerds. 

200.gif

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

The problem with masks is they only work if everyone uses them. If you go to a store, and you are one of the only people wearing a mask, it's essentially useless. As much as I don't like the way KOS posts, I think he is right. Teachers are at the mercy of their employers right now. They are not allowed to require students to wear masks so wearing a mask themselves will only protect the students.

There are no windows in many classrooms, and terrible ventilation, so it's often a stagnant environment and a perfect breeding ground to spread the virus. Combine that with the fact high school students are one of the most irresponsible demographics when it comes to social distancing and you have a highly stressful and risky situation for teachers, students, and their families. 

In my opinion, based on the recommendations of health and disease experts from around the world, the answer is simple. Everyone wears a mask when indoors. It's the only way to get kids back to school in a safer and meaningful way. Online learning doesn't work for many students, and having 20 percent of the students come in 2 days a week is babysitting at best. 

Actually, I'd argue it doesn't work for many parents........ones who don't want to put the time in.

Right now, we have no idea what it will look like in Sept, but my guess it will look a lot like it did in June, just with more kids.  

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Right now, we have no idea what it will look like in Sept, but my guess it will look a lot like it did in June, just with more kids.  

I imagine you're probably right. In which case the only reasonable, effective, and cost effective method is everyone wears a mask indoors. Not holding my breath though. 

2 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

I imagine you're probably right. In which case the only reasonable, effective, and cost effective method is everyone wears a mask indoors. Not holding my breath though. 

I'm not either.  I was.........ok with how it was setup in June, but we had less than 20% back in my school, so it's impossible to say how I'll feel in Sept.  I love my job, but I am not looking forward to going back...........my lungs are so shot I think I'd be in big trouble if I caught it again (if I indeed had it before)

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

8 minutes ago, Violator said:

i8er2ye3b7a51.jpg

I’m going to exercise a bit of restraint by not making a smart azz comment about karma......though I will say in regards to efforts at fundraising on his funeral costs might be better put towards individuals who caught the virus from people who didn’t wear facemasks nor followed proper protocols regarding this disease.

• Cheers 2

Florida shattering records....

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/florida-reports-largest-single-day-increase-in-covid-cases/ar-BB16DTwN?li=AAggFp4

Florida shattered the national record Sunday for the largest single-day increase in positive coronavirus cases in any state since the beginning of the pandemic, adding more than 15,000 cases as its daily average death toll continued to also rise.

According to state Department of Health statistics, 15,299 people tested positive, for a total of 269,811 cases, and 45 deaths were recorded.

California had the previous record of daily positive cases — 11,694, set on Wednesday. New York had 11,571 on April 15.

The numbers come at the end of a grim, record-breaking week as Florida reported 514 fatalities — an average of 73 per day. Three weeks ago, the state was averaging 30 deaths per day. Since the pandemic began in March, 4,346 people have died in Florida of COVID-19, the state says.

Testing has doubled over the last month, going from about 25,000 tests per day to almost 50,000, but the percentage of people testing positive has risen even more dramatically. A month ago, fewer than 5% of tests came up positive on a daily average. Over the past week, the daily average exceeded 19%.

Looking good for the upcoming RNC, eh Ron?

Florida Governor Shows Up To Briefing Wearing Single Glove ...

20 minutes ago, stawns said:

but aren't they claiming the death rate is dropping?

Dr Evil Whatever GIF

To them, the fact that number of positive tests quadrupled and the number of deaths only doubled is seen as a victory.

"We are in a good place" says Trump.  

22 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

To them, the fact that number of positive tests quadrupled and the number of deaths only doubled is seen as a victory.

"We are in a good place" says Trump.  

Death rates tend to lag behind positive tests. The full impacts of these surges in confirmed cases will likely be seen over the coming weeks and months. Especially in the many counties where ICU beds have already reached 100% occupancy. They are not in a good place. :( 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Death rates tend to lag behind positive tests. The full impacts of these surges in confirmed cases will likely be seen over the coming weeks and months. Especially in the many counties where ICU beds have already reached 100% occupancy. They are not in a good place. :( 

That’s when the crap hits the fan.  

• Thanks 1

I see that one school district in BC, Abbotsford? I think, but could be wrong, is going to the quarter system of two classes at a time , one in the morning, other in the afternoon, for 10 weeks. Then you have 2 more for the next 10 weeks, etc. I have taught math under this system, with 30 to a class, and it has some good things and some bad things. Primarily, if you get behind, or are sick for a few days, it is very hard to catch up. The lessons go by like you're on an assembly line, and the time to really grasp a topic is hard. It will be interesting to see how it will work.