The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Senators trade Marian Gaborik, Anders Nilsson to Lightning for Braydon Coburn, Cedric Paquette, 2022 2nd-round pick

2 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

Who are the 2x2Cs for Chicago? 

You’re right. Mixed it with Colorado with Sakic/Forsberg arrangement. 

Only Sharp and maybe playoff Bolland come close to being part of a 2 x 2C.

Edited by Me_

17 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

bryam little might have to retire and their dcorp sucks with out big buff trouba and myers  u can have a good  coach but u dont have horses in stables your done for 

They replaced him with Paul Stastny who’s an upgrade on him at this point in their respective careers and they should be getting full time contributions from Jansen Harkins and Mason Appleton. Morrissey is still a legitimate top pair defenseman and Neal Pionk very quitely had a 45 point season. Oh and they still have that Connor Hellebuyck guy too. 

19 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

bryam little might have to retire and their dcorp sucks with out big buff trouba and myers  u can have a good  coach but u dont have horses in stables your done for 

Stasny helps plug a hole and hopefully makes Laine a bit happier.  If he turns it around look out.  They're hard to play against and will physically bully a soft team like Toronto, or a team like Calgary that should be receiving women's rights awards for allowing their top 6 to play in a men's league.

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

Is an aging Joe Thornton and Wayne Simmons really going to move the needle any more than an aging Patrick Marleau and Jason Spezza? The centre of the universe may want to believe that. I’m not as convinced. :)

You make a good point, and I don't think either will be enough to make Toronto the team those fans think they have. But it does help in areas they needed help, and those two guys play the way that team needs to play.

I still think they have too much cap tied up in their top 4 players, and their top players overall need to bring a more complete, consistent, and grittier game... the latter of which I'm not sure they can. I don't feel FA is the top-calibre goalie they need... he can play lights out, but is terribly inconsistent. I also feel their D is still suspect, thought Brodie should be an improvement.

Overall, I still don't see them as a cup contender - though their firepower IS impressive and I expect to see them as high as #1 in the North standings, and no lower than #3.

Calgary is a good team, and they will almost certainly be better this season. I wouldn't be surprised to see them lead the division altogether, actually. Marky should give them great goaltending, and combined with their very solid D, they are going to be stingy. They also have better firepower than many believe. I think for Calgary where it all falls apart is that their scorers are just not well suited for hard, playoff hockey.

Edmonton should also be improved with some secondary scoring, but their D took a downgrade and they still have inconsistent goaltending. They will score goals, have many against, and just generally do what Edmonton does.

All this praise for Ottawa, but I am less optimistic they will fare much better this season. Yes, they will be harder to play against but I still expect them to be at the very bottom.

Montreal is largely just another year older. Same old from them, imo.

Winnipeg is one resilient bunch but with a still-broken D, it's hard to think their good goaltending and somewhat potent scoring is enough to get them far. Still, you never know...

As for our team, I honestly don't know here either. We have lots of potential, and I think Schmidt is going to be a beauty for us, but a lot of stars are going to have to align for us be near the top of the standings. I feel we are still lacking 1 solid defenseman, as well as a top 6 forward. But we have guys with potential who may make both deficiencies moot. Then there is the goaltending, which remains to be seen, and will be required for a good season. I could see us top in the division, but I could also see us mid pack, or even lower. For us, it will all be about who steps up. Virtanen, Gaudette, Rafferty, Rathbone, OJ could all be revelations, or could all be duds this season. If we can't fill the holes, there could be problems.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Pears said:

They replaced him with Paul Stastny who’s an upgrade on him at this point in their respective careers and they should be getting full time contributions from Jansen Harkins and Mason Appleton. Morrissey is still a legitimate top pair defenseman and Neal Pionk very quitely had a 45 point season. Oh and they still have that Connor Hellebuyck guy too. 

stasny  last had 49 points  6 yrs ago hes a 40 point player now and 35yrs old hes  not gonna do much on jets hes def not better than bryan little. Morrisey and pionk are ok but are they first pair dmen  they havent shown that yet in their careers  jets are gonna have a down yr 

14 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Seeing this blatent Cap circumvention deal makes me wonder how our team cap situation would look right now,

without that unfair Luongo $3M Cap Circumvention penalty?

What is frustrating is I find picking up guys to sit on LTIR is way more blatant cap circumvention than the way Luongo's contract was structured. Also the fact his contract was legal at the time and would have had some sort of approval by the NHL makes the fact they retroactively penalized the Canucks even more ridiculous. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Seeing this blatent Cap circumvention deal makes me wonder how our team cap situation would look right now,

without that unfair Luongo $3M Cap Circumvention penalty?

better :lol:

Benning burned as much of the future as he's going to with the Miller deal, so we won't see any cap clearing deals in all likelihood.  Lots of movement now around the league tho so we'll see if he has another move in the mix but I suspect the team is pretty much set as it is, unless he can land Hamonic e.g. on a very low dollar deal. 

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

better :lol:

Benning burned as much of the future as he's going to with the Miller deal, so we won't see any cap clearing deals in all likelihood.  Lots of movement now around the league tho so we'll see if he has another move in the mix but I suspect the team is pretty much set as it is, unless he can land Hamonic e.g. on a very low dollar deal. 

During our rebuild he actually trade away/down more picks than he acquired. Now that we are trying to compete we are losing a lot of futures. Miller was a high risk move that paid off - Toffoli was a massive waste of resources and could really come back to bite us. 

While on a one-off every GM makes bad deals, the amount Benning has accumulated is insane. We wasted our cheap and productive players by filling more of our salary cap with players who are either not on the team or struggle in bottom 6 roles.  In 2018 alone we paid roughly 11 million dollars (Beagle/Roussel/Baertschi/Schaller) for 14 goals of production. That is already on top of having two terrible bottom 6 contracts in Eriksson and Sutter. To be fair the market was pretty bad BUT Benning seems to go nuts spending during expensive markets - while other teams have maybe one or two regrettable contracts, Benning stacked up 4. 

There was somewhat of a need for those players but while the team was being built it should have been picking up players who were on the downtrend but still had some game left and signing them to short term deals. Since our team was bad that player who wouldn't be a top 6 on a good team would get playing time with the Sedins, Horvat etc and raise their value for a trade at the deadline. The one time we did this was Vanek (who I wanted us to sign instead of Eriksson) and that worked out well - he played great for his contract, provided veteran leadership to Boeser, was entertaining for fans and now we have Motte. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, King Heffy said:
  1. Montreal
  2. Vancouver
  3. Ottawa
  4. Winnipeg
  5. Calgary
  6. Toronto
  7. Edmonton

How I see the standings.

You are blinded by hate for Toronto. Are they cup contenders? No, they need D. But no one from the Canadian division is a contender. Toronto is the best of the lot.

7 hours ago, canuktravella said:

winnipeg doesnt have a d corp

calgary  overpaid tanev guys injury prone il take schmidt  over tanev any day of the week. 

edmonton doesnt really have a decent bottom 6 forward lineup  if they have a goalie injury the have a sieve in mike smith 

toronto still has a suspect d corp and goaltending. jumbo joe will help them

habs are a middling team seem weak down middle 

senators  team might suprise a bunch of teams  will make playoffs 

canucks     the older pettersson gets the more dominant he will become   im excited bout juolevi and maybe hoglander  excelling  look out  stanley cup in 2-3 yrs plus podzolkin here next yr  

jets flames habs dont make playoffs unless major trades are made 

So you're just going to ignore the fact that Toronto and Edmonton both have multiple top 10 forwards in the league? Also, why would McDavid, Draisatl, Matthews and Marner follow the same growth trajectory that you have laid out for Pettersson?

Overpaid or not, Markstrom and Tanev improve Calgary. I'm hopeful Schmidt makes up for that loss.

All I'm saying is that let's not pretend our d corps is some world beater when our bottom pair is going to be made up some sort of combination of Rafferty, Benn and Juolevi. Edmonton, Toronto, and imo the Canucks have a similar weakness with defence. Toronto and Vancouver at least have decent goaltending. But both Toronto and Edmonton have higher power offences. 

8 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

seem to be getting flamed for my take on the Canucks' dcorps. I hope they prove me wrong. But by reading this thread it appears that people think we are winning the Canadian division.

I'll bet someone $100 that, barring any major roster moves to Van, at least two of Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg and/or Toronto finish above the Canucks in the standings at the conclusion of the regular season.

No one has taken my bet yet.

In such a short compressed season it will be imperative to not have a bad stretch and fall behind, especially early,

pretty much staying above .500 is an absolute must as we only play against teams in our own division 

I figure 66+ points to make the playoffs

Edited by Mackcanuck

7 hours ago, Me_ said:

You’re right. Mixed it with Colorado with Sakic/Forsberg arrangement. 

Only Sharp and maybe playoff Bolland come close to being part of a 2 x 2C.

well your point is valid I thought you meant Kane is all...

We definitely don't have Sakic and Forsberg lol but still early.

8 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Feel free to explain how us beating the blues last year correlates with our success this coming year....Other than Petey and Hughes being the only NHL players with access to an offseason training program.

I seem to be getting flamed for my take on the Canucks' dcorps. I hope they prove me wrong. But by reading this thread it appears that people think we are winning the Canadian division.

I'll bet someone $100 that, barring any major roster moves to Van, at least two of Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg and/or Toronto finish above the Canucks in the standings at the conclusion of the regular season.

I also don't feel the Canucks will do as well as most people on here.

I fear they will get banged up. It's no secret you play them tough.

Calgary physically beat them near the end last year and they will try to again this year.

Winnipeg? What are the Canucks 1-14? Look out.

Could be dangerous if Mathews or McDavid get hot. Easily the two best players in the division.

Anyways, that's why we play and watch!

43 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

well your point is valid I thought you meant Kane is all...

We definitely don't have Sakic and Forsberg lol but still early.

We definitely don’t... yet...

But I hear that duo of Pettersson / Horvat is pretty good...