The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

26 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Could not agree more that there seems to be a plan...but also still feel Canuck fans who have either forgotten about OJ or had written him off will be quite pleasantly surprised how much impact he will have in a positive way in the mobility on the back end and complement the star power of Hughes and NS.   Rathbone can flat out fly and the next group of D prospects in the pipeline have none with lead feet either.   

For anyone who hasn't watched OJ recently, his play last year in Utica was sometimes dominate but almost always steady as steady can be.   He drove the play, played with determination and used his big frame well.   He looked ready.   My guess is once the season starts and people see minutes from him (I am assuming he is making the team), the tantalizing attributes that made him one of the most sought after Dmen in that draft will become more apparent.

I think its safe to say he's penciled in beside Myers to at least start the season. Thats a pretty nice "bottom" pairing for lack of a better word. 

Fun to have you back Rob. 

• Cheers 4

23 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

I am sorry buddy but Ferland will be put on LTIR so we make the room for Hamonic to join the team. And while Ferland did play in the playoffs you know he got a concussion after he fought against the Wild right? You know his concussion history right? With that all said he won’t be back this season and possibly won’t be back for good sadly. You can bet before the puck drops next week Ferland will be on LTIR. Bank it. 

edited: as @RWMc1 mentioned above he is already on LTIR. 

Actually he is only on the injured reserve right now. They will LTIR him when they set the initial roster for the season. That's why I believe they will try to get right up against the cap first before making moves with the LTIR space created.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RWMc1 said:

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks

Opinions should be based on facts. I'll try to use smaller words for you in the future.

your right, but the worlds not perfect. look at us politics, both sides could show you thier right with facts. it's sad but true

like right now your coming across as salty, and potentially disengenous., That's just my opinion on the matter, no facts involved. 

I mean you already have come to some conclusion on me, without even speaking to me.

i will give you some insight why i act like this

I have a mental illness, one of the symptoms of the illness is to get attached/obsessed/addicted to things it usually only lasts a few weeks before i get bored. right now its this site, in a few weeks it might be one of my three other hobbies i routinely go back to. it also gives me ADHD and seeing mistakes makes me want to correct them. anyways im sorry if i come across as a dick, i know i can be very blunt at times. I do sometimes sucumb to trolling, but generally only reserve it to the hater's. My apologies if you feel like im trolling you.

as for your link,

Im sorry to say this my friend, but that site is just predicting what the canucks will do. a few weeks ago ferland was put on the LTIR on the website, but there was no official announcement from the canucks. search the forum, google the internet, it hasn't happened yet. here's a link https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/players/playerpage/1769712/micheal-ferland ************ it literally was reported during making this post.

if you prefer, i can abstain from correcting mistakes i see in your posts.

Edited by Petey_BOI

2 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

your right, but the worlds not perfect. look at us politics, both sides could show you thier right with facts. it's sad but true

like right now your coming across as salty, and potentially disengenous., That's just my opinion on the matter, no facts involved. 

I mean you already have come to some conclusion on me, without even speaking to me.

i will give you some insight why i act like this

I have a mental illness, one of the symptoms of the illness is to get attached/obsessed/addicted to things it usually only lasts a few weeks before i get bored. right now its this site, in a few weeks it might be one of my three other hobbies i routinely go back to. it also gives me ADHD and seeing mistakes makes me want to correct them. anyways im sorry if i come across as a dick, i know i can be very blunt at times. I do sometimes sucumb to trolling, but generally only reserve it to the hater's. My apologies if you feel like im trolling you.

as for your link,

Im sorry to say this my friend, but that site is just predicting what the canucks will do. a few weeks ago ferland was put on the LTIR on the website, but there was no official announcement from the canucks. search the forum, google the internet, it hasn't happened yet. here's a link https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/players/playerpage/1769712/micheal-ferland

if you prefer, i can abstain from correcting mistakes i see in your posts.

Literally a few posts above yours. Take a look.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Agreed.

Because there was so much focus on what we lost in the offseason, its not yet fully appreciated what an upgrade Schmidt will be for our team.

Compare our top 4 to other Canadian teams, stacks up pretty well:

Hughes, Schmidt, Edler, Myers

Vs

Giordano, Andersson, Tanev, Hanifin

Larsson, Nurse, Barrie, Bear

Morrissey, Pionk, DeMelo, Beaulieu

Weber, Petry, Chiarot, Edmundson

Rielly, Muzzin, Brodie, Bogosian

Chabot, Gudbranson, Zaitsev, Coburn(?)

Goes to show what listening to the media too much will do hey? Vancouver media is especially laughable and I thought Toronto media was a joke, nothing to compared to here... 

2 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Agreed.

Because there was so much focus on what we lost in the offseason, its not yet fully appreciated what an upgrade Schmidt will be for our team.

Compare our top 4 to other Canadian teams, stacks up pretty well:

Hughes, Schmidt, Edler, Myers

Vs

Giordano, Andersson, Tanev, Hanifin

Larsson, Nurse, Barrie, Bear

Morrissey, Pionk, DeMelo, Beaulieu

Weber, Petry, Chiarot, Edmundson

Rielly, Muzzin, Brodie, Bogosian

Chabot, Gudbranson, Zaitsev, Coburn(?)

It will be interesting to see if Andersson in Calgary can come out of being sheltered?  Still looks like a good top 4, depending on how long Gio can keep it up?

Without it knocking anybody, its a general compliment, Hamonic is also undoubtedly in our top four? It looks, like he will play with Hughes. 

We will have a top 4D on our 3rd pair. Two, if Juolevi plays up to potential? And Rob Zepp's suggestion...

Montreal looks solid, if unspectacular?  Very physical. Next best D core to us IMO. 

I do not like Toronto. Bogosian, who is too slow, the only natural RHD. I think Muzzin & Brodie both play off side? But its a bad recipe. Philly did it for years & was exposed. Wasted the best years of Voracek, Giroux. Getting otherwise good D to look bad playing outside their natural positiion.       

Winnipeg would have looked very good with Hamonic. Missed opportunity. Will have Heinola in their top 4, and it will look better than as above. Later, Samberg. 

Gudbrandson never really had a puck mover to rescue him here, Anaheim. He did, and looked good in Florida? Wonder if he will look ok with Chabot, one of the best zone exit / entry guys in the league?  If not Ottawa looks in for trouble.  Coburn struggled in Philly 6 years ago on his off side. Wonder how he will do again now in his mid 30's...  

Edmonton has the potential to be ok. Lost year for Klefbom really hurts them. Could have actually been good?  

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Could not agree more that there seems to be a plan...but also still feel Canuck fans who have either forgotten about OJ or had written him off will be quite pleasantly surprised how much impact he will have in a positive way in the mobility on the back end and complement the star power of Hughes and NS.   Rathbone can flat out fly and the next group of D prospects in the pipeline have none with lead feet either.   

For anyone who hasn't watched OJ recently, his play last year in Utica was sometimes dominate but almost always steady as steady can be.   He drove the play, played with determination and used his big frame well.   He looked ready.   My guess is once the season starts and people see minutes from him (I am assuming he is making the team), the tantalizing attributes that made him one of the most sought after Dmen in that draft will become more apparent.

The great thing about him too, is that because of all the recent Rookie success we have had he feels like found money.

• Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

run on sentence gurn.........................................................................................:lol:

I'm not an English teacher, but I believe the use of commas, has me covered.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

It is indeed cooool.   The example that started the conversation was about one rookie D being chosen over another rookie D as one would make the GM look better.   I called that out and this iteration started with some, you included, taking it in other directions so that is very cooooool.    Cool.   :lol:

I'm just here for the laughs bro

6 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I don't think Rafferty is going to get regular playing time.  The PTO and impending signing of Hamonic all but guarantees that, IMHO.  My expectation is that the coaches see Juolevi as a better option than Rafferty since he's more steady in the defensive zone but can still contribute with the breakout.  The question to me is how the Canucks will manage Rafferty's usage.  Will they send Rafferty to Utica or keep him on the taxi squad?  My guess is one of Chatfield or Rafferty will be demoted but in deciding to demote anyone, quarantine requirements will make it challenging for them to bring in anyone from Utica up quickly.

There are going to be some interesting decisions.  Based on what we're seeing so far, I could see the following:

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Hoglander

Roussel-Sutter/Gaudette-Virtanen

Motte-Beagle-MacEwen

Hughes-Hamonic

Edler-Schmidt

Juolevi-Myers

Holtby, Demko

Depending on how management wants to manage the cap and player availability:

Healthy Scratches:  possible none or some mix of players from the Taxi Squad except for Eriksson to the max 23 player roster 

Taxi Squad (max. 6):  Eriksson, Baertschi (over Bailey and Lind), Benn, Rafferty or Chatfield, Hawryluk (over Graovac), possibly Gaudette/Sutter, possibly Rathbone depending on whether the team will keep any healthy scratches that are not on the taxi squad

LTIR:  Ferland

Management could shock by demoting Eriksson but I have a very hard time seeing that happening.  The cap benefit of either having him on the taxi squad or in Utica is the same as far as I understand it.

There was talk of Lockwood being a potential surprise to make the team but I have a hard time seeing him make it based on his development and cap constraints.  It's probably better for a guy like Lockwood to play in Utica instead of just practicing and watching games.  He seems unlikely to get into the line-up outside of some major problems.  Michaelis has looked decent but I also think he would probably be seen as being better served by playing in Utica this year.

Great post and agree with all of it. I think a lot of people get excited by how some prospects can show well in camp but forget how they often look when exhibition games start and they’re playing against nhl / AHL players. 

The Canucks don’t make decisions solely on the short 10 days of camp, especially this year as travel is problematic.

they will consider if the prospects can handle the full season and more importantly what’s best for them to develop. Play a few games every 10 because of injury etc, or be playing a full year in Utica with important ice time (pp,ok, 3 on 3 and lots of minutes). 

It makes no sense to have Rafferty or Lind  etc sitting most nights and losing a valuable year of development. Better to have Erickson, Baerchi, Benn and guys like that as depth as they aren’t in the long term plans and can play adequately as spares 

• Vintage 1