The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Also we would have every 1st round pick on the roster since the 2014 draft.

I can confidently say we’ve never done that in our history.

jared mccann spoils that, but I'll let it slide because he was a bonus pick. 

12 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

Green just tweeted he's comfortable with sutter,beagle and gaudette playing centre, he also said he was going to need a lot of depth this year. and that he will have to make some hard decisions with the veterans.

@aGENT

@FaninMex

And? So am I. (And he's not talking about the TDL regardless.)

FWIW, I agree with your convo earlier that MacEwan is likely the odd man out and we start the year with all of Gaudette, Sutter and Beagle on the roster.

Also FWIW, I've never cut down Sutter. In fact, I've historically defended him a lot here (and would continue to do so now, in the present).

Now granted, there's going to be some movement with Gaudette/Sutter on wing etc given there's only 4 C spots. But I think you're still kidding yourself that Benning wouldn't consider moving an expiring Sutter at the TDL. Particularly with a view at upgrading the roster as I outlined.

The only thing that might prevent it is Covid and it restricting movement of players. In a normal year where that's not the case, this isn't even a question. This is precisely what you strive for as an organization. The ability to sell off expiring vets to replenish and/or improve elsewhere while promoting competent youth and added quality in trades.

The key is to always keep pushing for improvement. Retaining Sutter at the TDL, while certainly a decent option as an 'own rental', does not otherwise accomplish that.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

I’m not talking about Journalists or Bloggers, I’m talking about hockey Experts.  You know, people that have been in the business, players, other coaches, scouts  I’m not talking about people like you or me.  

I made a UNIVERSAL FACT about politics in hockey and you Just Can’t Let It Go. 

Do you think Podkolzin would be the 13th forward on his SKA team if he signed with them for 6 years?  You think maybe he’d be treated differently?  It’s called    P   O   L   I   T   I   C S.

Anyway my time is precious and I’ve spent way too much time on you.  

Not to derail this thread but Gavrikov was in the same position as Podz and was given a bonus mid-season even tho the team knew he was leaving.

I was kind of surprised by some of the Anti-Russia talk by Canadian pundits. I expect that from Americans but not from Canadians.  Podz plays where he plays because of his age and the way his coach coaches. His teammates a year older have been shown the exact same treatment and are now being given more prime minutes.  

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

The greater point is what really matters ;)

We're in a golden age of drafted players for this organization. Regardless of a McCann etc.

Pffft.... I miss the good old days when Grabner was the best first round pick the franchise made in a decade or so :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

And? So am I. (And he's not talking about the TDL regardless.)

FWIW, I agree with your convo earlier that MacEwan is likely the odd man out and we start the year with all of Gaudette, Sutter and Beagle on the roster.

Also FWIW, I've never cut down Sutter. In fact, I've historically defended him a lot here (and would continue to do so now, in the present).

Now granted, there's going to be some movement with Gaudette/Sutter on wing etc given there's only 4 C spots. But I think you're still kidding yourself that Benning wouldn't consider moving an expiring Sutter at the TDL. Particularly with a view at upgrading the roster as I outlined.

The only thing that might prevent it is Covid and it restricting movement of players. In a normal year where that's not the case, this isn't even a question. This is precisely what you strive for as an organization. The ability to sell off expiring vets to replenish and/or improve elsewhere while promoting competent youth and added quality in trades.

The key is to always keep pushing for improvement. Retaining Sutter at the TDL, while certainly a decent option as an 'own rental', does not otherwise accomplish that.

I don't  agree with the absolute that trading away expiring contracts brings value to the team. that absolute assumes that  he doesn't already have a plan for the cap. There are scenario's where letting a player walk will be the best thing for your team. for instance, locking up petterson, hughes and demko to long term deals, or  the expiring player himself. you could also use that capspace on free agency which is going to be full of free agents looking to sign short contracts  so as not to miss out on thier "pay raise" when the cap goes up. I could go on and on, trading a declining Beagle is a possibility.

my main trouble with your proposal earlier is that your trading from a position of weakness instead of trading from a postion of strength. you wouldn't even consider trading a defenceman,  If like you said the goal is to improve then shouldn't we consider that a more realistic possibility? both benn and edler are free agents as well. and im pretty sure were not going to have a roster spot available for all our young D. we could have another 3 D ready to make the jump next year. we should be able to afford to trade one of these D. I would love to upgrade at center to a elite 3rd liner and if we could get that by trading a young d piece and one of sutter/beagle/gaudette I would  definetley consider that trade. But I would prefer the trade is closer to march than april.

it seems i have changed my tune a bit about the possibility of a trade, though it will be very hard to make this trade, I would cconsider it.

Edited by Petey_BOI

6 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

I don't  agree with the absolute that trading away expiring contracts brings value to the team. that absolute assumes that  he doesn't already have a plan for the cap. There are scenario's where letting a player walk will be the best thing for your team. for instance, locking up petterson, hughes and demko to long term deals, or  the expiring player himself. you could also use that capspace on free agency which is going to be full of free agents looking to sign short contracts  so as not to miss out on thier "pay raise" when the cap goes up. I could go on and on, trading a declining Beagle is a possibility.

my main trouble with your proposal earlier is that your trading from a position of weakness instead of trading from a postion of strength. you wouldn't even consider trading a defenceman,  If like you said the goal is to improve then shouldn't we consider that a more realistic possibility? both benn and edler are free agents as well. and im pretty sure were not going to have a roster spot available for all our young D. we could have another 3 D ready to make the jump next year. we should be able to afford to trade one of these D. I would love to upgrade at center to a elite 3rd liner and if we could get that by trading a young d piece and one of sutter/beagle/gaudette I would  definetley consider that trade. But I would prefer the trade is closer to march than april.

Busy BOI eh?

5 minutes ago, FriendlyCanuck said:

If you were a betting man what are the odds that Hollanger stays with the Canucks?

To us who are Jake fans this is a direct insult and frankly an unbelievable move to place a small rookie on a 2nd line? It's all fun and games just for trial but Green can't be serious to actually let Hollanger start on a 2nd line? What?

If he can keep up and put up some offence, Why not? We all saw what a force Horvat can be on the offensive side of the puck against the Blues. If he has someone flanking his wing that wants to play the same way. I see no reason to deny him a spot. Jake on the other hand has had 6 training camps to claim a spot in the top six but seems to find a way to give it to someone else every time. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, FriendlyCanuck said:

If you were a betting man what are the odds that Hollanger stays with the Canucks?

To us who are Jake fans this is a direct insult and frankly an unbelievable move to place a small rookie on a 2nd line? It's all fun and games just for trial but Green can't be serious to actually let Hollanger start on a 2nd line? What?

Welcome to the forum. unless of course your a calgary fan trying to steal our forum, like you did our players

im so confused by your post, are you quoting someone? 

and  very nice touch on bashing the coach, we were running low on green basher's.

something tell's me you'll fit in fine here Friendly

3 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

jesus, maybe i should just leave.... i didn't mean to upset you. I apologize mad jon, for correcting someone else's post. i hope in your travels one day you can forgive me, then we can be friends for life Mad Jon, for life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 

eye roll... 

• Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

Welcome to the forum. unless of course your a calgary fan trying to steal our forum, like you did our players

im so confused by your post, are you quoting someone? 

and  very nice touch on bashing the coach, we were running low on green basher's.

something tell's me you'll fit in fine here Friendly

Hold it! That's enough!!! Don't you dare tell the Lames they can't have Louie Eriksson FFS! If they take LE, they can have the forum, we'll just have to make another one (IF we can stop laughing long enough to do it)

Edited by iceman64
  • Haha 1