The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Trade) Laine to CBJ - Dubois to Jets

MikeBossy

The winner is the team that gets the player that puts it together. Tbh it’s still up in the air. Laine can score no doubt but he has not done it consistently through the season. It’s been in bunches. Still it’s goals but i think this trade could go either way at this point. I don’t know if Laine stays in Columbus either.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

I see PLD is getting the Monahan treatment- people assume he’s a future (or current) Selke candidate because he’s big and Canadian. Dude doesn’t kill penalties, gets sheltered deployment with poor possession outcomes, and hasn’t put up great numbers without Panarin on his wing. Maybe it’ll come but it’s not there yet. 

• Cheers 2

37 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

And PLDs attitude is any better? Just wait until PLD needs to change his tampon again. Cried his way out of Columbus and I wouldn’t put it past him to pout about being in Winnipeg

He's not the first player to have an issue playing with Torts though.... so I reckon it's more a Torts problem than a player problem.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Horvat

or

Boeser

Bergeron

or

Marchand

Center over winger every day.  Laine might be a shade more dynamic but he's absolutely shown an unwillingness to get dirty where Dubois is ok with it.  Dubois is a work in progress but imo only, when it shakes out Columbus lost this deal long term

8 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

?

Not sure what you're quoting or why it looks like that.

My statement is that the center wins out over time almost every time.  Added that I genuinely think Laine is a flight risk.  5 years will see

Edited by Warhippy
  • Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Horvat

or

Boeser

Bergeron

or

Marchand

Center over winger every day.  Laine might be a shade more dynamic but he's absolutely shown an unwillingness to get dirty where Dubois is ok with it.  Dubois is a work in progress but imo only, when it shakes out Columbus lost this deal long term

At this point it would be more like:

Barkov

or 

Huberdeau

Point

or

Kucherov

Dubois is well below average in the FO circle and does not have a 2 way game, so at this point he has played sheltered offensive minutes and managed a career best of 61pts.  I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I think Columbus clearly won this trade when the salary retention and Roslovic are factored in.

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Not sure what youre quoting.

My statement is that the center wins out over time almost every time

A 2knd line center versus a 2knd line winger? Yes I agree! 1st line to 1st line?  Still agree.

A 2knd line center, versus a top line, perhaps all star winger? Upside higher than an all star? I am not so sure.

Laine has so much upside. Creates a match up problem as soon as he is on the ice. I dont believe the line in the sand is obvious, thats all. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Canuck Surfer said:

A 2knd line center versus a 2knd line winger? Yes I agree! 1st line to 1st line?  Still agree.

A 2knd line center, versus a top line, perhaps all star winger? Upside higher than an all star? I am not so sure.

Laine has so much upside. Creates a match up problem as soon as he is on the ice. I dont believe the line in the sand is obvious, thats all. 

That's fair.

Laine has the toolbox.  Dubois does too though.  at days end one of them will lead their team to something and I just don't see it being Laine

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

@oldnews correct me if I’m wrong but wasn’t a big part of the issue for PLD in Columbus that he wanted to be on a “bigger stage”? I took that to mean either a bigger market, more responsibility, or both. Winnipeg is definitely more of a hockey market than Columbus is but c’mon...it’s Winnipeg. Monty’s gonna tell us why it’s so much better than we think and the west coast actually sucks but there’s a reason real estate is cheap in Winnipeg. Nobody wants to live there. 

I was born there - which is in part why I fluff Winnipeg (partly tongue-in-cheek of course) - and cheap real estate is a positive in my books - but I can't speak for Dubois reasons for wanting out of Columbus - wanting a bigger stage may be part of it - who knows (I think Winnipeg is a rabid hockey market and that part 'should' qualify) - but I'd have to think that Tortorella was prime mover #1.  I personally would not tolerate his amateurish lack of self-control and counter-productive relationship wrecking ball - I'd launch him in a heartbeat.  He 'promised' to temper his tendency to come unhinged - a large part of what bought him another chance - his b.s. mea culpa - but it's patently obvious that it lasted virtually no time at all - he was ballbusting guys like Hartnell in short order.  I have to think that Dubois' primary issue was getting the fk away from Mr Anger Management = "here's Johnny" - but it's admittedly large part impression/assumption (only Dubois could really elaborate, but the endless footage of Tortorella railing on him leaves a convincing impression for sure.

image.jpeg.c0b11e9eb1cde8f053d4c33fc8e384f8.jpeg

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, oldnews said:

The bolded part is certainly Columbus' challenge moving forward.

And I don't think the 40g for 50pt thing quite stands up.

Dubois 159pts in 239 games (55pts per 82) .  Laine 250 in 306 (67 per 82).

That 12 pt gap imo is counterbalanced by the value of Dubois being a center (if he doesn't wind up a winger conversion in the end, which I don't think he will).

But dealing a center for winger in Columbus' circumstances - not ideal by any stretch of the imagination (and I like Roslovic but not sure he will change that top 6 any time soon).   Maybe Foudy will become an answer but there are some real question marks there.

Domi

Texier

(Foudy)

(Roslovic)

Riley Nash

Jenner

(Foligno also capable of and does play center)

Domi in particular I am skeptical can handle the two way duties and matchups of a 'top line' C (and at 25 has yet to crack 50% in the faceoff circle) - with Dubois gone, the heat on these two (and potential successors) will probably only intensify.

Very good 'bottom 6' centers - but I think they've weakened at those critical top 6 center spots.

Kind of sad to see where that franchise has 'devolved' to considering their trajectory a few years ago.  But step one:  fire Torts.

Maybe if the centre is capable of doing things centres do....like win a lot of face-offs (which Dubois doesnt) and play a strong 2 way game (which Dubois doesnt).  A 12 point gap is the difference between a 1st liner and a 2nd liner (Pettersson and Horvat was a 13 point gap).

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, HKSR said:

He's not the first player to have an issue playing with Torts though.... so I reckon it's more a Torts problem than a player problem.

Yea any player that’s softer than baby$h!+ will ask for a trade out. You’re in the f***ing show now, you expect your boss to treat you like a child? They are at the highest level of hockey, the smallest of errors has consequences and if you can’t correct your issues, you better bet your a$$ someone’s breathing down your neck.

Torts is a hardass and didn’t win a Stanley cup by coddling his players. He’s a straight shooter, if you can’t handle the hard truth you arent cut out for his team. Why is it only PLD right now that wanted out bad enough that he stopped playing hockey with any effort? The kid is an entitled brat. The rest of the players didn’t give up despite Torts wrath. Those guys are the team players, PLD is the selfish player who’s there to make his money and doesn’t like being yelled at. To me, PLD quit on his team.

• Like 1