The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Trade) Laine to CBJ - Dubois to Jets

MikeBossy

7 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Rumour is is came down to Columbus choosing between Laine or Loui 

we just missed out on this one 

Should or picked Loui while they had the chance. He’s obviously more of a torts player than Laine. 

CBJ’s loss. 

The North just got a lot better Imo.

LAINE is a good scorer no doubt but Dubois is a very capable #1C. Likely is a great 1B in Winnipeg. You build your club thru the middle. The Jets already have of scoring talent and more on the horizon with Perfetti. 

This gives the Jets a primary need an elite top end center for what was an excess of scoring talent. Well removing a disgruntled employee. This might unify the jets now they just need a piece or two on D. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, mll said:

Forgot about Kekko

Kinda feeling a country familial sense of responsibility blinded him.  Laine is way to much of a 1 way player to be effective.  Like Ovi without the scoring, snarl size and backstrom circa 2009

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Sean Monahan said:

So PLD ends up in a smaller market, crappier city playing behind a centre who’s much better than him and will likely remain much better than him for several years. 

Maybe it was Torts revenge sending PLD to Winnipeg! Take that you bass turd! :lol:

• Cheers 1

On 1/18/2021 at 4:45 PM, oldnews said:

perhaps all the more reason for those two teams to work out a deal involving Laine, Roslovic and Dubois.

I'd love to see Dubois in Winnipeg.

this was not a particularly hard deal to call..,

but I'm glad it happened.   Really like Laine and Roslovic - but if Dubois can improve as a faceoff guy and defensive center (and not require 65+% ozone starts) - a power center like him is a difficult asset to acquire (or even draft).

Laine might wind up wishing he'd been more careful what he wished for. 

But if I'm the CBJ - Torts' shelf life has expired.  And Maurice in Winnipeg, not far behind imo.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

I feel Winnipeg should have gotten a serviceable winger to even this trade out. 

They will most likely be looking for scoring now. 

Laine, is hands down the most compelling talent.  I normally argue the team who ends up with the best player wins.  In this case CBJ.  

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

omg HUGE trade

Well done Winnipeg.  

Dubois is hands down the better player than Laine and I don't care what argument you put out

See @Baer. 's note; 40 goal scorer for 50 point center.  Not hands down at all.  But? 

Winnipeg traded from a position of strength.  They still have three top line capable wingers; Kyle Connor, Blake Wheeler & Nikolaj Ehlers. Adds an ideal 2knd line, big physical center. Potential is great for Winnipeg if his compete level stays. Its a great positional move! 

>> Danger sign is he gave up on his team in CBJ. His game style requires being emotionally invested. Even more so than Laine /// Was it Torts, or was it entitlement?

Columbus?  Torts rode ''his'' style players out of town.  They surprised the last two years playing physically demanding, in your face hockey, winning battles. Domi tries. A pop shot on Kesler notwithstanding? CBJ loses hundreds of physical battles each year having injected Max Domi in place of Josh Anderson. And they lose twice from the hockey side here. They lose physicality plus don't have any center depth to replace Dubois! Texier and Domi as one & two pivots? Who is going to feed Laine all the assists to make him effective?

>> Danger all over the place... Created a gaping hole in the roster to get the best player. Lose physicality. I dont believe they have the assets to trade for a #1 C.  

I don't like it. But can buy it from Winnipeg's standpoint.  I don't get it from CBJ's view at all.

I also see the way Torts handled the media two nights ago. ''Ask him,'' Dubois that is, Torts tells the media. Reality is he forced his GM's hand. Like he tried to here, wanting more turnover of players, different players than he was given? So he got fired. Lets see if he forced the right hand?  You can be a good ''hockey'' coach, still a dinosaur who hurts and constantly damages your team. I think Torts should have left, ala Babcock in Toronto.        

I like this trade for the Jets.  Scheifele and Dubois will be a great 1-2 punch.  Quite frankly, I think the Jets have learned to be competitive without Laine in the line-up.  He's obviously a huge addition when in the line-up and still has potential to be one of if not the best goal scorer in the NHL, but 

Not sure how I feel about this trade for CBJ.  Laine should be productive for them, but losing PLD leaves them with little C depth.  I guess Texier and Domi are their top-Cs now?

2 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

So PLD ends up in a smaller market, crappier city playing behind a centre who’s much better than him and will likely remain much better than him for several years.

That 'crappier' city thing - is spoken like someone who has never been to the Winnipeg Folk Festival, someone that doesn't love Lebanese food nor all the other cultural riches of the coldest city in the world outside Siberia lol.

But on a serious note - I think the "playing behind a center who's better" is one of the best aspects of this for Dubois.  Dubois isn't necessarily really 'ready' to be a 1C (at least not over 200ft = not a particularly good faceoff guy, or 'possession' player thus far) - and Scheifele will eat a lot of matchups that otherwise would have been keyed on Dubois....Winnipeg also has very solid depth centers imo - I think this will actually be a very good playing context for Dubois.  There are some pretty good examples of teams with a pair of high end centers who find time and opportunity for both of them - and there are worse things than being loaded up on a line to feast with (as a LW).

This actually looks like an even trade to me but the variance on the outcome is insane.  

PLD could turn out to be a franchise center.  He's really good and only 22!  

Laine and Roslovic are no joke.  Roslovic will turn into a really good second line player once all is said and done. 

4 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Excellent!  Let's lobby the government so that PLD isn't available for any of their games against the Canucks :gocan:

@oldnews correct me if I’m wrong but wasn’t a big part of the issue for PLD in Columbus that he wanted to be on a “bigger stage”? I took that to mean a bigger market, more responsibility, or both. Winnipeg is definitely more of a hockey market than Columbus is but c’mon...it’s Winnipeg. Monty’s gonna tell us why it’s so much better than we think and the west coast actually sucks but there’s a reason real estate is cheap in Winnipeg. Nobody wants to live there. 

Edited by Sean Monahan
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Laine, is hands down the most compelling talent.  I normally argue the team who ends up with the best player wins.  In this case CBJ.  

See @Baer. 's note; 40 goal scorer for 50 point center.  Not hands down at all.  But? 

Winnipeg traded from a position of strength.  They still have three top line capable wingers; Kyle Connor, Blake Wheeler & Nikolaj Ehlers. Adds an ideal 2knd line, big physical center. Potential is great for Winnipeg if his compete level stays. Its a great positional move! 

>> Danger sign is he gave up on his team in CBJ. His game style requires being emotionally invested. Even more so than Laine /// Was it Torts, or was it entitlement?

Columbus?  Torts rode ''his'' style players out of town.  They surprised the last two years playing physically demanding, in your face hockey, winning battles. Domi tries. A pop shot on Kesler notwithstanding? CBJ loses hundreds of physical battles each year having injected Max Domi in place of Josh Anderson. And they lose twice from the hockey side here. They lose physicality plus don't have any center depth to replace Dubois! Texier and Domi as one & two pivots? Who is going to feed Laine all the assists to make him effective?

>> Danger all over the place... Created a gaping hole in the roster to get the best player. Lose physicality. I dont believe they have the assets to trade for a #1 C.  

I don't like it. But can buy it from Winnipeg's standpoint.  I don't get it from CBJ's view at all.

I also see the way Torts handled the media two nights ago. ''Ask him,'' Dubois that is, Torts tells the media. Reality is he forced his GM's hand. Like he tried to here, wanting more turnover of players, different players than he was given? So he got fired. Lets see if he forced the right hand?  You can be a good ''hockey'' coach, still a dinosaur who hurts and constantly damages your team. I think Torts should have left, ala Babcock in Toronto.        

Horvat

or

Boeser

Bergeron

or

Marchand

Center over winger every day.  Laine might be a shade more dynamic but he's absolutely shown an unwillingness to get dirty where Dubois is ok with it.  Dubois is a work in progress but imo only, when it shakes out Columbus lost this deal long term

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Excellent!  Let's lobby the government so that PLD isn't available for any of their games against the Canucks :gocan:

He misses 1 game against us, 2 against EDM and 3 against CGY with his 14 day quarantine

Edited by Mackcanuck