The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TSN 1040 has been eliminated

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, davidgoliath said:

JD is awesome. He may be too intelligent for you. The show with him and Wadden on Saturday was a favourite for me and I am sickened by this typically “corporate” move. 

JD is an intelligent guy but he’s not really a Canucks fan.   He enjoys it when the Canucks lose because it allows him the opportunity to say controversial things that ultimately appeal to his fanbase.

Guys like Neil McRae, Tony Gallagher, JP McConnell, Dan Russell etc., all criticized (or criticize) the Canucks when appropriate but it came from a good place.   JD Burke is literally a snake in the grass.

Edited by DarkIndianRises
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

JD is an intelligent guy but he’s not really a Canucks fan.   He enjoys it when the Canucks lose because it allows him the opportunity to say controversial things that ultimately appeal to his fanbase.

Guys like Neil McRae, Tony Gallagher, JP McConnell, Dan Russell etc., all criticized (or criticize) the Canucks when appropriate but it came from a good place.   JD Burke is literally a snake in the grass.

In a weird sort of way, JD Burke is the “embodiment” of the HF “Canucks fans.”

He would rather see the Canucks lose and be proven right rather than seeing the Canucks succeed and being proven wrong.

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, davidgoliath said:

From the Motley Fool financial folks:

“BCE (TSX:BCE)(NYSE:BCE) is one of Canada’s largest telecommunication operators. Last week, the company had reported its fourth-quarter earnings. Despite the pandemic’s impact, the company added 147,000 net new customers during the quarter. Its direct fiber and rural wireless home internet locations reached 6 million at the end of the last year. Meanwhile, the company’s management expects the number to reach 6.9 million by the end of this year.

Amid the increased demand for its services, BCE has planned to make a $1 to $1.2 billion capital investment over the next two years to expand its broadband fiber network. It is also looking at expanding its 5G network, which has reached 150 markets across Canada.

These initiatives could drive the company’s top line, bottom line, and cash flows in 2021. The management expects its top-line to grow by 2% – 5%, while its adjusted EPS could increase by 1% – 6%. Further, the company’s management has raised its 2021 dividends by 5.1% to $3.50 per share, marking its 13 consecutive years of dividend hike of more than 5%. Its dividend yield currently stands at an attractive 6.3%.“

Bunch of greedy bastards IMO.

Best wishes to all the devastated families from today’s corporate actions.

What does net new mean? I've heard this corporate gobbledygook before but have never heard a definition. 

And yes, Bell are vile, greedy scum.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

What does net new mean? I've heard this corporate gobbledygook before but have never heard a definition. 

And yes, Bell are vile, greedy scum.  

It means added to the total.

If they lose 1,000 individual subscribers in a time period... and gain 2,000 new subscribers... they have 1,000 net new subscribers even though they have 2,000 new ones.

• Upvote 1

Freaking dog-gone Bell. I hope the Whitecaps ditch them as a kit sponsor. The late great Paul Carson must be turning in his grave now. The man who gave Vancouver and BC both Sports Page on CKVU-TV and the TEAM 1040 Radio and discovered great broadcasting talent. Worst of all, so many good people lost their jobs at the expense of corporate greed.

Canadian media corporations absolutely are pathetic. 

Edited by Tiger-Hearted
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, gurn said:

Sadly, a few days ago I "went on air" and Matt was commending me on my voice. Asked if I'd worked in the industry, then said it was a good thing I didn't given what was happening to the trade.

damn, now i'm curious what you sound like

The larger the media-entity, the more likely they've jumped the shark.

Have found several daily run, youtube channels(by everyday, random individuals) a more enlightening, instructional & interesting way to spend some spare time.

RIP(Rest In Pieces) to almost all of the larger, wh*ring, duplicitous, lackey media-entities.

Just now, Provost said:

It means added to the total.

If they lose 1,000 individual subscribers in a time period... and gain 2,000 new subscribers... they have 1,000 net new subscribers even though they have 2,000 new ones.

So they lose 1,000, who are gone. 

Then they gain 2,000 new ones, those are not just new, but net new. 

Still doesn't make sense and is really just corporate BS. 

2 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

The larger the media-entity, the more likely they've jumped the shark.

Have found several daily run, youtube channels(by everyday, random individuals) a more enlightening, instructional & interesting way to spend some spare time.

RIP(Rest In Pieces) to almost all of the larger, wh*ring, duplicitous, lackey media-entities.

I feel like alot of YouTubers aren't steered by corporate interests at the start but seem to buy into I can make more money the more I sell out. Thus making how popular they are and original diminish over time.

30 minutes ago, LAorVancouver said:

So like goons showing up at the radio personality desk with batons and give them 30 mins to pack up and throw them out on the street? Without warning without notice just 30 mins and you are out without a good bye to the fans?

Give me a break Bell wouldn't do that  l  Bell? The same billion dollar company Bell? This is 2021 not 1921 companies are ultra careful not to distrupt social frameworks or overstep politically correct motives, no way Bell did this. The staff must have known long ahead or something else - Canadian mega corporations don't act like this. 

Yes, this is 100% Bell.  They have spent the last month laying people off all over the country.  Many who have been there for a very long time.  I know several personally. And sadly, it is common practice for corporations to march people out within 30 minutes.  That is down to the lawyers.  If you believe Bell is somehow a saintly company who wouldn't disrespect their employees when they slash their jobs with no notice you are very much mistaken.  

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Raspberries said:

Yes, this is 100% Bell.  They have spent the last month laying people off all over the country.  Many who have been there for a very long time.  I know several personally. And sadly, it is common practice for corporations to march people out within 30 minutes.  That is down to the lawyers.  If you believe Bell is somehow a saintly company who wouldn't disrespect their employees when they slash their jobs with no notice you are very much mistaken.  

they had security gurards they to kick them out if they took longer than 30 mins?

14 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

So they lose 1,000, who are gone. 

Then they gain 2,000 new ones, those are not just new, but net new. 

Still doesn't make sense and is really just corporate BS. 

Because they don’t want to make it seem like they added 2,000 additional subscribers when their total numbers not went up by 1,000?