The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TSN 1040 has been eliminated

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

Classy. The owners are probably not happy cuz TSN drove up a lot of interest in the market. The coaches are probably happy because 1040 can be very toxic for the fanbase during losing skids. Feel for those out of work but it shows no one is invincible in these tough economic times. 

I hope they land on there feet. Would love to see a few of their shows up end in podcast form. Could be a fun thing for them and provide more flexibility for the hosts.

With them losing the game rights they were able to be more negative towards the team without worry of  repercussions from the Canucks / higher ups  , more freedom of speech etc 

22 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

What does net new mean? I've heard this corporate gobbledygook before but have never heard a definition. 

And yes, Bell are vile, greedy scum.  

I’m guessing the “net” part refers to the gross number of new customers less the number of old customers who left during that quarter.

In any case it shows that Bell has been doing very well during tough times yet they still saw fit to spray a toxic tank full of misery on their vulnerable employees whose chances of reemployment must be slim indeed. Cutting back when corporate survival is on the line is one thing, but this is not that. Shame on them. Something to be considered when choosing telecom services in the future.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

What will I listen too while I spark one during the intermissions?  I tried giving 650 a go, not much reception.  I will give them a tip of the cap for allowing a lot of 1040 listeners to come on thier station to say goodbye, that was classy.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

they had security gurards they to kick them out if they took longer than 30 mins?

That part could possibly be true, but disproportionately reported on. It’s not extraordinary for security to be around during layoffs. I highly doubt anyone was physically thrown out if they took one minute too long or anything. But you don’t want anyone doing something they’ll regret in a highly emotionally charged atmosphere.

27 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

@StealthNuck  Roman, regardless of what their payroll is/was, they still had a net profit of almost 1 billion dollars in the last quarter of 2020 alone! They shouldn't have taken any government relief as they clearly do not need it.

No disagreement on that, but now we are talking about moral side of the story. Very few large corporations put "morals" and "financials" on the same line.

4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

WTH????

Just got home from work.....this world is already too weird right now as it is.  So we're going to lose familiar voices and something comforting when we're stuck at home?

Awful.

and Brian Burke will be off the air with his new job....

15 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

WTH????

Just got home from work.....this world is already too weird right now as it is.  So we're going to lose familiar voices and something comforting when we're stuck at home?

Awful.

Awful for sure. I was on medical leave when covid first hit could barely get out of bed and these people kept my day somewhat sane. I still remember listening to 1040 the day the first games got cancelled and it was like breaking news every 5 minutes. Terrible the way this ended. I know Moj quite well outside  the radio and he is just such an awesome guy. I never made the switch to 650. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 3

Hated Bell since they took over Virgin and got stuck with them, got out quick and never went back, had the unfortunate chore of having to deal with their reps for several years and they maintained my first impression of a garbage company the whole time.

Edited by Dumb Nuck
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1