The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Calgary Lames | February 13, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | NHN, CBC, SN

Rate this topic

-SN-

6 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Fire Benning 

Bring back Marky, Tanev , Stecher and Toffoli......

Worst GM in the league........

League tends to recycle bad GMs (or ones coasting on their past rep).  Ain’t no way Benning is the worst.  You don’t have to do anything and be by default not the worst (as there’s some really bad ones out there).

A guy like Jim Rutherford who has won cups as GM for two different teams makes the odd bloody awful mistake like giving us a decent forward for a significantly worse player Gudbranson.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

4 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

League tends to recycle bad GMs (or ones coasting on their past rep).  Ain’t no way Benning is the worst.  You don’t have to do anything and be by default not the worst (as there’s some really bad ones out there).

Worst GM in his family... his brother Craig Benning would even be better....  he is GM of the Dawson Creek Senior Canucks of  North Peace Hockey League

• Haha 2

I remember an interview with Lamarillo just a month back. He said every player has a role and they need to play that role. Petey, Hughes = skill. Boeser is scoring. Demko playing well enough, Bo is a beast at faceoffs, Motte is the energizer bunny PK. They are playing their roles. Im missing some others but my point is who are the bangers? The prickly needles on a beautiful plant? This team is so soft it's embarrassing. I've been a supporter of JB but where is the sandpaper? Your to blame to Green et all. It isn't just the players as it's obvious now that he is as passive coach as he was a player. Win lose, whatever. But we need more players that will tear the head of a bunny rabbit to win. 

Edited by rekker
  • Cheers 3

3 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

I do not understand why Green slips through all this mess unscathed 

JB made mistakes but Green still has plenty to work with and this team still is not performing for has it performed under his tenure

I do understand that any new experienced gm will immediately show Green the door....not extend him 

Do you think that a new GM won’t have a say in who coaches the team?

11 minutes ago, rekker said:

I remember an interview with Lamarillo just a month back. He said every player has a role and they need to play that role. Petey, Hughes = skill. Boeser is scoring. Demko playing well enough, Bo is a beast at playoffs, Motte is the energizer bunny PK. They are playing their roles. Im missing some others but my point is who are the bangers? The prickly needles on a beautiful plant? This team is so soft it's embarrassing. I've been a supporter of JB but where is the sandpaper? Your to blame to Green et all. It isn't just the players as it's obvious now that he is as passive coach as he was a player. Win lose, whatever. But we need more players that will tear the head of a bunny rabbit to win. 

peace out goodbye GIF

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, flat land fish said:

Firing the gm and front office during a short season where we may end up with a top 10 pick would be asinine.  Drafting is harder than ever given reduced player exposure and if there is any area the existing team is strong at is drafting.  Bringing in the next gm now could impact our 2021 draft in a negative way which isn’t worth the risk.  For everyone out there flouting jb has had 7 years we also need to account that the first 4 years were the sedins sunset and the organization wasn’t running a full rebuild while they were here.  Only way JB is let go this year is if he refuses to move on from Green

Ditto, and it is pointless trying to convince the Fire JB crowd cause all they want is perfection with the foresight of hindsight.  Preferably, I hope he wins with his core and despite hurting himself with some of his signings he still seems to be learning as time goes - being a GM is not a linear progression as some of these complainers tend to believe and just like the team he still seems to be trending in the right direction (imo).  Some of the best GM'S in the league had been in there position for decades (Poile, Lombardi and etc) and if you look into to there history you can also find something to complain about but there whole body of work is what keeps them in there position.   In the end, it is Aquamans' assesment(s) of this whole situation that will matter and I hope he starts with the coaching staff & hires a team president that can work with JB; I remember hearing/reading that a coaching change has more affect on a teams' standings than a GM change can (?).

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I think we are due for one coming up here ... not sure if it's this game, but we've been playing marginally better the last couple. That being said, the difference in goaltending could just tank that idea. Wouldn't be surprised if we pull one out here though; usually do when someone is about to get fired.

7 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

Quinn would be rolling over in his grave right now.

i remember when he was being interviewed way back when, talking about how you don’t let your players go to a divisional rival ever, as it will always come back to bite you in the a$$.  
Benning new he wasn’t going to resign any of those 4 guys well before hand, so why the hell did he not at least use his powers to control where they go at the deadline, plus, Markstrom would have got us a low 1st, as well the others might have fetched us some picks, so what gives????? 
Rookie mistakes costing us year after year

Not sure of what power your talking about but based on the TT trade, JB & Aquaman were wanting to be in the playoffs no matter what and the best roster they can ice includes JM, so there was no way he was getting traded...

6 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

Quinn would be rolling over in his grave right now.

i remember when he was being interviewed way back when, talking about how you don’t let your players go to a divisional rival ever, as it will always come back to bite you in the a$$.  
Benning new he wasn’t going to resign any of those 4 guys well before hand, so why the hell did he not at least use his powers to control where they go at the deadline, plus, Markstrom would have got us a low 1st, as well the others might have fetched us some picks, so what gives????? 
Rookie mistakes costing us year after year

You are twisting reality man..

Which 4 players are you talking about? Markstrom, Tanev, Toffoli and? 

In your reality we would have never had Toffoli in the first place, he would have never been a Canuck.

Markstrom at the deadline was a good goalie who let in soft goals here and there and has never played

a Playoff game. And UFA. I don't think he could have fetched a first.

Tanev I think we should have re-signed but definitely not traded at the deadline.

We were in a Playoff spot for the first time since 2015, have young hungry players and we blow up the team to maybe get a low first or second for Marky?

Did you forget we ended up in a game 7 against Vegas? After winning a Playoff round for the first time since 2011? 

And if the players are mad now that Tanev, Marky, Toffoli left.. imagine how mad they would have been if we blow up the team at last years deadline..

8 minutes ago, TheCustodian said:

I think we are due for one coming up here ... not sure if it's this game, but we've been playing marginally better the last couple. That being said, the difference in goaltending could just tank that idea. Wouldn't be surprised if we pull one out here though; usually do when someone is about to get fired.

Hope Demko & OJ stays in...

16 minutes ago, Nathancanuck said:

You are twisting reality man..

Which 4 players are you talking about? Markstrom, Tanev, Toffoli and? 

In your reality we would have never had Toffoli in the first place, he would have never been a Canuck.

Markstrom at the deadline was a good goalie who let in soft goals here and there and has never played

a Playoff game. And UFA. I don't think he could have fetched a first.

Tanev I think we should have re-signed but definitely not traded at the deadline.

We were in a Playoff spot for the first time since 2015, have young hungry players and we blow up the team to maybe get a low first or second for Marky?

Did you forget we ended up in a game 7 against Vegas? After winning a Playoff round for the first time since 2011? 

And if the players are mad now that Tanev, Marky, Toffoli left.. imagine how mad they would have been if we blow up the team at last years deadline..

I remembered the same scenario(s) leading up the playoff - the team was competing for a spot and the moves being made seems to indicate that they wanted to get in with best roster they can ice.  Also, we were a Lehner robbery of Boeser from beating the Knights and moving on - these complainers/haters are lazy but it would be boring if this board ever became an echo chamber without the trolls...

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1