The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Francesco Aquilini says "I have no plans to make changes."

Rate this topic

AriGold2.0

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Aquilini knows this isn’t the season to make big changes.

A full season of fans in the stands to recoup some money then he can spend big on a management overhaul.

Benning will be able to add some more talent in another draft and then next season if he hasnt cleaned up some bad contracts then he can get the axe.

The Spanish have a nice way of saying that " hasta manana "  ... until tomorrow. There's been a lot of hast manana in Vancouver hockey. Some fans have been told hasta manana for 30-40 years. Now if you're new to the table I can understand but for long time fans hasta manana excuse is growing thin

• Cheers 1

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Cleaning up some of those bad contracts that he handed out will likely cost us picks (which logically reduces the effectiveness of the drafting, clearly the club’s strongest attribute).

Sutter, Pearson, Benn, Spooner, Baertschi off the books is 13 million.

Myers exposed in the Seattle expansion.

Edler re-signed to a hometown last contract.

Eriksson, Roussel, and Beagle entering the last year of their contracts make them much easier to move.

Could be as much as 33 million dollars off the books in the offseason if Benning can be aggressive. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, AriGold2.0 said:

image.png.dec62fccffdeb07376c2b768da2e186f.png

Too cheap to can anyone eh Mr. Billionaire... Sure it is an odd ball season, but you really okay with your young players playing a whole year in this tire fire environment with piss pour coaching and cap issues out the wazoo due to the GM who went to the cap and beyond during a retool?

You don't have to can everyone but sure as hell should make some sort of a move...you haven't extended the head coach so he is the easiest large scale move you can make, are his assistants all in their last year too...cause they should both go in season, no worries about quarantine...put Jason King on the bench temporarily until replacements complete quarantine.

Guess it is almost time to just look at the TDL and see if we try to gain any assets by moving some players out...or is that too risky for us and we rather not get picks or prospects back and let em walk for nothing...that is the Canuck way!!

I am already looking forward to next year, this season is almost a write off...see what kind of effort the team does the rest of the way

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 3

14 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Sutter, Pearson, Benn, Spooner, Baertschi off the books is 13 million.

Myers exposed in the Seattle expansion.

Edler re-signed to a hometown last contract.

Eriksson, Roussel, and Beagle entering the last year of their contracts make them much easier to move.

Could be as much as 33 million dollars off the books in the offseason if Benning can be aggressive. 

And (assuming we're not in a playoff race) we're likely to add picks by selling some of these pieces off at the TDL.

People are so bloody short sighted :lol:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I don't necessarily agree with his choice but I absolutely respect the timing of Aqua saying here is what he thinks and he is backing the team, management and coach.  The media is poison here and it is great to have clarity instead of massive uncertainty.

I believe that this move will help the young Canucks find their game.

I like our ownership and whether or not you agree with Aqua's choice you have to respect him for coming out and shutting down the talking heads.

• Cheers 2

Just walked in the door & heard this.(haven't scrolled for any outside opinion yet)

I've been critical of TG, but am quite pleased to hear this message from FA. We're headed in the right direction folks. Glad & relieved ownership takes the long view(assuming the tweets are genuine/sincere).

We've NEVER had drafting like this. Keep on hurling ringers, JB!

It’s quite obvious they don’t want to spend anymore money. He also doesn’t care about all the careless money Benning has spent either. The incompetence starts at ownership and trickles down. They are going to lose fans in the end. Being complacent is a losers mentality and I can’t stand the fact he would come out and say this. He just has to go against everything that makes sense. It’s the same way in which they didn’t go for a rebuild  but sort of did. No leadership in this organization and it starts at the top. So no matter if they keep on losing nothing is going to change.Apathy will set in folks. Just terrible.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Sounds like he got told no by Dean Lombardi for the 100th time about taking a job here and is doing some subsequent damage control to protect Benning and Weisbrod.

I'd be very shocked to see Benning still around come the off-season.  I'd have to question FA's ambitions to ice a good hockey team if Benning's still here by next season.

benning should be director of hockey ops or president or do scouting  bring in lombardi  to do trades  frees agency