The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Calgary Lames | February 17, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SN1, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

19 minutes ago, zimmy said:

Not surprised anymore about the predictable knee jerk reactions to the play of LE but, holy crap, there’s too many knee jerk reactions to LE after this game! I’m not suggesting he gets nominated for a Selke but this continual boring take on his play is completely without imagination!

I recall one questionable clearance in the first period and an awkward icing in the  second when he caught his line mates completely unaware but other than that he delivered a solid defensive effort, suppressing chances, positioning and angling and almost always on the right side of the puck.

I get it. Fun to get the digs in. 6 shmillions etc etc

I hear what you're saying - and kudos for identifying two of worse moments this game - but I think you're being overly generous in your description of the "other than that".

He generally does get to the right areas of the ice and read the play well - but he's also too aloof at times, particularly in the dzone, where he just doesn't get to the puck battles, doesn't do the necessary grinding, particularly on those long shifts where he's hemmed in - just too finesse for me.  The difference between that line with Motte and that line with Eriksson - is massive.   LE just doesn't attack the play - positioning is great, but if it's too passive it's annoying af.  I'm glad they're able to harm reduce at least with him in the lineup - but I'd say there were more like a half dozen annoying incidents - not just the two obvious miscues.

Edited by oldnews
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Pickly said:

Man if anybody ever makes that comparison they are delusional. Iginla is arguably one of the best players to never win a cup and one of the best “heart and soul” players of all time. I don’t care what anybody thinks even if he was a Flame. Guy was an absolute beast and beauty and was a consummate professional on and off the ice. From the infamous “Iggy!” heard around the world to him bringing out the entire Flames team to shake Trevor Lindens hand during his last game ever he will forever hold a place in my heart and should for all real Canadian hockey fans. 

Tkachuk has zero character and that is what will define his career.  Olli has a lot of character and is starting to make up ground. In a couple of years the Canucks will be a contender and Calgary will be in disarray and staring at a rebuild. Olli will be a solid part of the up and coming Canucks team while Tkachuk will still be, well, Tkachuk.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Tkachuk has zero character and that is what will define his career.  Olli has a lot of character and is starting to make up ground. In a couple of years the Canucks will be a contender and Calgary will be in disarray and staring at a rebuild. Olli will be a solid part of the up and coming Canucks team while Tkachuk will still be, well, Tkachuk.

Silverspoon brothers, that's what those 2 should be referred to as.

54 minutes ago, 1-d said:

The best game they played since the game against WPG.

Win or lose, this is how I want my team to play every night. Anything is possible when you move your feet and play as a 5-man unit.

Happy for Holtby too. He called out his team in TOR and we've played much better since.

Totally, that might end up being the turning point of the season...  season that ends in playoffs or at least doesn't end up in complete embarrassment. Either way, I'll take it! 

30 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

I literally watched him at 3:03 left in the third give up and coast on the back check which led to a great scoring chance for Calgary

No need to go back and break down the tapes or anything  (although you recognized this in real time). 

I will stand by my observation that LE is not deserving of any scorn after that effort and that signalling him out is a boring and predictable take (even though I’m not particularly an LE defender and have been disappointed in his effort and play in the past).

Edited by zimmy
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I hear what you're saying - and kudos for identifying two of worse moments this game - but I think you're being overly generous in your description of the "other than that".

He generally does get to the right areas of the ice and read the play well - but he's also too aloof at times, particularly in the dzone, where he just doesn't get to the puck battles, doesn't do the necessary grinding, particularly on those long shifts where he's hemmed in - just too finesse for me.  The difference between that line with Motte and that line with Eriksson - is massive.   LE just doesn't attack the play - positioning is great, but if it's too passive it's annoying af.  I'm glad they're able to hard reduce at least with him in the lineup - but I'd say there were more like a half dozen annoying incidents - not just the two obvious miscues.

I have to disagree with you there.  Loui is always the responsible one that's also covering for the d-men, so he puts himself in a position more often where he HAS to make defensive plays.  

Loui's been better for my money then Roussel and Jake in the last few games.  

Is it any surprise that our new leader in # of takeaways this season, with 15. Is Hoglander?  Next up is Petey, Pearson and QH with 10 apiece.

Per 60 minutes, though, surprisingly, the leader at 4.32 is, .......Loui.  Yes.  Hogz is at an even 3.00 per 60 mins.  Go figure.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Man if anybody ever makes that comparison they are delusional. Iginla is arguably one of the best players to never win a cup and one of the best “heart and soul” players of all time. I don’t care what anybody thinks even if he was a Flame. Guy was an absolute beast and beauty and was a consummate professional on and off the ice. From the infamous “Iggy!” heard around the world to him bringing out the entire Flames team to shake Trevor Lindens hand during his last game ever he will forever hold a place in my heart and should for all real Canadian hockey fans. 

He is a seriously good dude.  He is moving back to the Okanagan and teaching at an academy my nephew goes to.

He also gave a big chunk of change to a non profit I am involved with in the area.

He is equivalent to Linden for the Flames... mad respect for the guy even though I hated our team playing against him.

• Cheers 2