The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Winnipeg Jets | February 19, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP NHLN

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 minute ago, tas said:

there's no presentation necessary. anyone who's watched any amount of canucks hockey this season knows that gaudette isn't generating anything. it's a situation where advanced stats are telling lies.

Right. Your eyes are more reliable than stats.

Convincing. 

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Pearson has been playing good though.

Hes got the most goals on tge Canucks since he was trades here.

Not Boeser Not Miller not EP.... yes Pearson is the best goal scorer on the team over the last 120 odd games.

Well EP and BB have more ... haven't checked Miller yet .. will keep you posted ... point is Pearson isn't a long term player and he's due for a couple points - isn't he?  Miller had 27 last year .. 6 more then Pearson 

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Perhaps but they certainly do a better job of presenting their case than you just did. 

How about this. This year  he's extremely sheltered. Cant win faceoffs. Not physical. And isnt capitalizing on his chances. The stat the article speaks of has him better than elite forwards.

It literally counts as nothing in my books.

@IBatch

Sure.  Wins the calder, like what's his face - or yeah Ekblad, didn't become the true number one folks expected.   Like to see Chatfield - or anyone really - score his last goal.   That's a skilled player.   All your bringing to this discussion is naivety.   And even if that's all he brought, we could  have Gudbranson minus fighting ability - at a whopping 1.5 

million in cap savings.   I've watched this team for a long time, and can see talent when we have it, he does everything well , nothing great - pretty much the definition of a top four all-around D.   Figure some folks complaining about Edler have transferred their complaints into Myers.   Edler is older now - but was picked on ever since he got 48ish points as a young player.    Factually these guys have close to identical stats - Myers a little better at the same games played.   He's not a WNP third pairing anymore (although he moved up all the time because one of Byfuglien or Trouba was often out)... and when he did that was the best third pairing RHD in the league right?   Scoring 30/40 points without PP time is hard.   Reminds me of Bieksa too- and the amount of haters we had back then too.   On Bieksa.   Wow.  Led the league in 5 x 5 points one year for a D - still got no PP time, and still was trashed by a stubborn portion of the CDC.   shame.   

After years of Hutton, Del Zotto and Stetcher  - you'd think fans would appreciate what they have now.   Loved Babych - and see the same traits regardless of their different games.   Both amped things up when it really matters.  What did Myers do wrong - compared to what he's done right lately?

Bro I said Myers isn't tough and you managed to write a dissertation on it? Maybe you should dial it back a little. I said he isn't tough, not that he's a terrible defenceman. In fact I was replying to someone else who made a 1 sentence post that we need his Toughness and size. Dont drag me into your self righteous paragraph of indignation. Want to argue how tough he is? Great, I'm down. Because that's literally all I said. Jesus &^@#ing christ

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

How about this. This year  he's extremely sheltered. Cant win faceoffs. Not physical. And isnt capitalizing on his chances. The stat the article speaks of has him better than elite forwards.

It literally counts as nothing in my books.

It also suggests putting him on the wing so your face off comment is irrelevant. 

How many chances did Petet not capitalize on during his drought? Or Bo? 

If they do plan to move on from Pearson at the deadline which is highly likely, it wouldn't hurt to see if they have potential within. 

It's not as if we are leading the leadgue and don't want to mess with a lineup that is firing on all cylinders.

Edited by DIBdaQUIB

19 minutes ago, Davathor said:

@IBatch

Bro I said Myers isn't tough and you managed to write a dissertation on it? Maybe you should dial it back a little. I said he isn't tough, not that he's a terrible defenceman. In fact I was replying to someone else who made a 1 sentence post that we need his Toughness and size. Dont drag me into your self righteous paragraph of indignation. Want to argue how tough he is? Great, I'm down. Because that's literally all I said. Jesus &^@#ing christ

Ok.  How tough is he?  In today's game - guess he's tough enough.   Is that better?  And sorry.  I didn't mean to be self-righteous and indignant. 

Edited by IBatch

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

One or two years ain't much of a commitment, and 1.5-2m over a couple years ain't likely to be the deal that hurts us as an organization. We're already arguably getting more out of Benn than we are Jake at this point, though I hope Jake can change that.

If you re-sign Benn with the intention of exposing him I don't see how you don't offer him a fair deal, particularly as a guy you already have in the fold. League minimum would be a slap in the face and I don't see it going over well with the rest of the guys. 

Jake still has upside (granted that window is closing FAST) so I think he’s a different situation than Benn.  A lifetime Canuck, with a far greater role, was kicked to the curb without even an offer (Tanev); it’s a business and Benn hardly has lot of time in the organization (imho) to warrant that concern.  I guess I just have a different opinion of Benn.  

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Well that's because Horvat came to play yesterday, whereas before that he wasn't.

For sure.   Meant it more as a a good luck thing - i've found out in the past when i get fed up and pick on someone he soon has and a great game ... superstitious more then anything... maybe if i have a pre-game beer with natcho's it will work.  Pants or no pants, haven't decided.      Remember the church of Virtanen?  Bet you could hear a mouse fart in there right now.  Maybe JV's turn to pick on after all.   That said will say Pearson has been awful - we need to trade him so hope he scores 30 goals and gets us into the playoffs.   Whoops.  Now we can't trade him.  Say 15 goals - that gives us options ha ha.   Sometimes i wish i had an editor. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Jake still has upside (granted that window is closing FAST) so I think he’s a different situation than Benn.  A lifetime Canuck, with a far greater role, was kicked to the curb without even an offer (Tanev); it’s a business and Benn hardly has lot of time in the organization (imho) to warrant that concern.  I guess I just have a different opinion of Benn.  

Oh no doubt, Jake has upside Benn doesn't have but he's definitely running out of time to make a case for his sticking around as more of our prospects graduate. Tanev was a cap casualty I was okay with walking away from (I don't like the contract Calgary gave him), but you're right in that it's a business. 

I think Benn warrants the consideration you'd want to give any player you currently have but are considering retaining, I think respect matters. That being said, it's far from the only factor. I'm not going to argue that Benn is the ideal depth piece, but he's a piece currently in our system we could easily utilize to meet expansion requirements relatively cheaply. That's the position I come from when advocating Benn as a viable option, though differences in opinion are fine too. It'd be an awfully boring forum if we agreed about everything. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Oh no doubt, Jake has upside Benn doesn't have but he's definitely running out of time to make a case for his sticking around as more of our prospects graduate. Tanev was a cap casualty I was okay with walking away from (I don't like the contract Calgary gave him), but you're right in that it's a business. 

I think Benn warrants the consideration you'd want to give any player you currently have but are considering retaining, I think respect matters. That being said, it's far from the only factor. I'm not going to argue that Benn is the ideal depth piece, but he's a piece currently in our system we could easily utilize to meet expansion requirements relatively cheaply. That's the position I come from when advocating Benn as a viable option, though differences in opinion are fine too. It'd be an awfully boring forum if we agreed about everything. 

Yeah that’s fair.    Plus I’m not afraid to admit I’m probably more wrong than right most of the time.:P

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

For sure.   Meant it more as a a good luck thing - i've found out in the past when i get fed up and pick on someone he soon has and a great game ... superstitious more then anything... maybe if i have a pre-game beer with natcho's it will work.  Pants or no pants, haven't decided.      Remember the church of Virtanen?  Bet you could hear a mouse fart in there right now.  Maybe JV's turn to pick on after all.   That said will say Pearson has been awful - we need to trade him so hope he scores 30 goals and gets us into the playoffs.   Whoops.  Now we can't trade him.  Say 15 goals - that gives us options ha ha.   Sometimes i wish i had an editor. 

If its nachos maybe go “with” the pants, you know, hot melty cheese and all...

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Well EP and BB have more ... haven't checked Miller yet .. will keep you posted ... point is Pearson isn't a long term player and he's due for a couple points - isn't he?  Miller had 27 last year .. 6 more then Pearson 

No they don't. Between Feb 25th, 2019 and today Tanner Pearson has 35 goals, Boeser has 33, Horvat has 34, Petey has 34, and Miller has 31. Pearson is the leading Canucks goal scorer since he joined the team.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

No they don't. Between Feb 25th, 2019 and today Tanner Pearson has 35 goals, Boeser has 33, Horvat has 34, Petey has 34, and Miller has 31. Pearson is the leading Canucks goal scorer since he joined the team.

What about comparing the numbers from the entire season before he was a Canuck? Prob not the same result. Just saying Petey and Brock could easily have more and make this stat a little more redundant 

I just checked Pearson had 8 goals in 19 season not with the Canucks so 

43 Pearson 19/20 seasons

42 Boeser 

55 Petey 

differences in games played didn’t check but I’ll eat my words there that’s not bad thought Brock and Petey would have him best quite a bit more

Edited by Rick_theRyper
  • Vintage 1

20 hours ago, IBatch said:

Noticed a lot of noise the last few days about Horvats play before last nights game.   Then barely a whisper after.   Seems to happen often - so who should we pick on next?  I'm going with Pearson.    Time for a big game for him.   Got to up his trade value lol.   Honourable mention to Sutter - being awhile. 

Has nothing to do with picking on someone's play. Horvat wasn't showing up. He's the Captain, lead the way. Period. I made reference to Bo watching some Smyl videos, and he needs it. Smyl is THE best captain the Canucks have ever had. 

Edit: I just wanted to add, Linden is a close second, IMO.

Edited by BarnBurner
  • Like 1