The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Edited] Bottom 5 Finish Now in Reach!

Rate this topic

Provost

I've been seeing this idea go around on Twitter that the Canucks would comfortably be in a playoff spot had they been playing in the Pacfic division.

While we're at it, we may as well say the Canucks would comfortably be in first place if they were playing against u14s.  That darn NHL, always screwing us over!

Edited by Alain Vigneault
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Alain Vigneault said:

I've been seeing this idea go around on Twitter that the Canucks would comfortably be in a playoff spot had they been playing in the Pacfic division.

While we're at it, we may as well say the Canucks would comfortably be in first place if they were playing against u14s.  That darn NHL, always screwing us over!

Facts are facts. Could have should’ve would’ve. If my aunt had balls she would have been my uncle. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Alain Vigneault said:

13 minutes ago, spur1 said:

Facts are facts. Could have should’ve would’ve. If my aunt had balls she would have been my uncle. 

Comfortably? Who’s doing that math? LA and Arizona are just 2 points behind us, with 5 and 4 games in hand respectively.

Not to mention we’re 4-0 vs Ottawa. Don’t think we’d have a better record playing them less.

Canucks are almost out of it because they’ve played terrible hockey for long stretches. If Demko hadn’t stole some games (such as last night), they’d already be toast.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, D-Money said:

Comfortably? Who’s doing that math? LA and Arizona are just 2 points behind us, with 5 and 4 games in hand respectively.

Not to mention we’re 4-0 vs Ottawa. Don’t think we’d have a better record playing them less.

Canucks are almost out of it because they’ve played terrible hockey for long stretches. If Demko hadn’t stole some games (such as last night), they’d already be toast.

I'm pretty comfortable playing SJ, LA, ANA and ARI - as are MIN, COL, St. Louis etc...for sure it's a weak division.  And will get weaker .. EK saying he didn't realize he was coming into a rebuild is fairly naive given Pavelski's age, Burns age, Coutures age etc.   Wilson has managed to re-tool for quite some time but eventually the too will be like we were, picking high for awhile.   ANA without Gibson would be quite a bit worse, doing his best Luongo impression.   Too bad Seattle is coming in and ARI is out.   LA isn't that good.   For sure the Pacific will be an easier division then the North is...bet OTT wouldnt have too much trouble against these teams either. 

16 hours ago, Provost said:

That seems about right.  I just wish I shared your optimism about being able to get close to that level of play.

I don't think anyone would be happier than me if Demko somehow dragged us into the post season with his play.

So far two CDCers have said they'd tattoo Demko's face onto their body parts if we made it .... wonder how happy they will be lol.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

I'm pretty comfortable playing SJ, LA, ANA and ARI - as are MIN, COL, St. Louis etc...for sure it's a weak division.  And will get weaker .. EK saying he didn't realize he was coming into a rebuild is fairly naive given Pavelski's age, Burns age, Coutures age etc.   Wilson has managed to re-tool for quite some time but eventually the too will be like we were, picking high for awhile.   ANA without Gibson would be quite a bit worse, doing his best Luongo impression.   Too bad Seattle is coming in and ARI is out.   LA isn't that good.   For sure the Pacific will be an easier division then the North is...bet OTT wouldnt have too much trouble against these teams either. 

Ah, so you’re talking about the West division, not Pacific. I don’t think the top 4 (Vegas, Colorado, Minnesota, St. Louis) are worse than the Canadian top-4. In fact, I’m pretty sure Vegas is better than any teams in the North, maybe Colorado too.

It’s easier to make the playoffs in the Canadian division than anywhere else, because there are 7 teams in it.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Ah, so you’re talking about the West division, not Pacific. I don’t think the top 4 (Vegas, Colorado, Minnesota, St. Louis) are worse than the Canadian top-4. In fact, I’m pretty sure Vegas is better than any teams in the North, maybe Colorado too.

It’s easier to make the playoffs in the Canadian division than anywhere else, because there are 7 teams in it.

One thing to keep in mind is how we were built. I agree with you that the Pacific division is a bit better than the canadian division. But we were built to play against the bigger teams of the west coast. Hence why the speedy east teams skate circles around us.

It's a weird year.

47 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Well....we did just beat Minni and St Louis last playoffs and took Vegas to game 7 so technically, we are better than 2 of those teams. 

12 hours ago, D-Money said:

That's precisely my point.

Many who support Benning and believe his conveyor belt of excuses for why the Canucks are bad this year are the same ones who are peddling this idea that we'd be a playoff team under normal circumstances.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Well....we did just beat Minni and St Louis last playoffs and took Vegas to game 7 so technically, we are better than 2 of those teams. 

Minnesota has improved this season. Better goaltending, and Kaprisov has upped their forward talent. The numbers suggest they’re a better team than Vancouver this season, by a fair margin.

Most of the Blues were recovering from COVID. And on top of that, their goalie imploded. Not sure we win that series if they just let Allen play it. Vegas absolutely dominated us. Demko’s goaltending was in no way sustainable.

As well as the team did in the bubble, it is becoming clear that it was lightning in a bottle. The team was falling out of a playoff spot when the pandemic hit, and is back to being a non-playoff team.

I’m a big Canucks fan, and want to believe they are better than their record suggests, but the evidence suggests they’re just not a good hockey team...again. 

4 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Minnesota has improved this season. Better goaltending, and Kaprisov has upped their forward talent. The numbers suggest they’re a better team than Vancouver this season, by a fair margin.

Most of the Blues were recovering from COVID. And on top of that, their goalie imploded. Not sure we win that series if they just let Allen play it. Vegas absolutely dominated us. Demko’s goaltending was in no way sustainable.

As well as the team did in the bubble, it is becoming clear that it was lightning in a bottle. The team was falling out of a playoff spot when the pandemic hit, and is back to being a non-playoff team.

I’m a big Canucks fan, and want to believe they are better than their record suggests, but the evidence suggests they’re just not a good hockey team...again. 

Yes Minni is looking better this year but their record could also be attributed to playing Coyotes, Ducks, Sharks and King's all season long. 

That is easier than our division bottom feeders which is pretty much just OTT (and us) 

The fact that the even the King's have a winning record shows that beating up on multiple lower tier teams can inflate perception. 

As for the Blues and covid, yes I did read reports that during stoppage, some players contracted it. 

The GM said they only started to feel better after playing in the bubble but prior to that, they didn't get to work out etc. 

That sounds similar to the Canucks excuse that they haven't had enough practice time and days off to start the season to properly get ready yet we aren't acknowledging that as an acceptable excuse. 

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Yes Minni is looking better this year but their record could also be attributed to playing Coyotes, Ducks, Sharks and King's all season long. 

That is easier than our division bottom feeders which is pretty much just OTT (and us) 

The fact that the even the King's have a winning record shows that beating up on multiple lower tier teams can inflate perception. 

As for the Blues and covid, yes I did read reports that during stoppage, some players contracted it. 

The GM said they only started to feel better after playing in the bubble but prior to that, they didn't get to work out etc. 

That sounds similar to the Canucks excuse that they haven't had enough practice time and days off to start the season to properly get ready yet we aren't acknowledging that as an acceptable excuse. 

The Blues had a lot less time to get their crap together in the bubble than we have this season. They had 9 games over 20 days. Canucks were in OK shape after their first 11 games. But they fell apart from game 12 through 24, when they went 2-9-2.

Kings are turning into a pretty good team. In their last 13 games prior to COVID, Kings went 10-2-1, including a win over Vegas, and going 2-0-1 against Colorado. Comparatively, Canucks went 6-6-1, including losses to Anaheim, Arizona, and Ottawa. Both teams are kind of picking up where they left off. Although LA is 2 points behind us, they have 5 games in hand - their .519 point percentage is far better than Vancouver's .469. San Jose and Arizona are also ahead of Vancouver by that measure as well.

Edited by D-Money

12 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Minnesota outproduced the Canucks by 15 goals at 5v5 last season while allowing 5 less.  Canucks relied on special teams to make the difference especially their PP but were average at 5v5.  Wild had poor special teams especially their PK.  Other than the 1st game it was mostly a special teams battle which speaks to Vancouver’s strength and the Wild’s weakness. 

The Wild continue to be one of the better 5v5 teams.  They are deep which makes them harder to defend + they are one of the very best defensive teams.  Their PK is so much better now that they have goaltending (86%) but PP is horrid (last at 8%).  If the games are mostly at EV not really seeing Vancouver coming out on top.  The Wild are still in a retool.  

They have played Vegas and Colorado each 4 times and have 2 wins against each.

LA were one of the better teams to end last season.  McLellan says they are out of their rebuild and it’s time to climb.