The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Winnipeg Jets | February 21, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP NHLN

Rate this topic

-SN-

11 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I would be very surprised if this was the case given the criminal negligence that happened last game.  If thew league actually held refs accountable, I would agree with your logic, but we're likely going to get the same scumbags from the previous game with absolutely no indication from their league that their conduct wasn't acceptable.  I'm expecting them to be protecting Forbort from getting what he has coming to him.  If I'm right, Meier needs to be spending the next 6 months in the ICU so he isn't able to pull any more of this crap, and a message is sent to the league that there are consequences for unprofessional officials who disgrace the sport with their refusal to call an honest game.

You are correct the refs will react swiftly to punish any canuck that goes after forbort.  You are dreaming if you think the league will take any action  to correct or discipline their incompetence. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

Actually that's the ref's cue to jump in....close game and they were still focused on winning.  You better believe we'd end up shorthanded there and it wouldn't likely have changed Forbutt's course of action.

Atrocious display of negligence by Meier and Markovic.  Not calling anything there allowed things to escalate...they're basically paid figure skaters out there at that point.  At least do a double freakin' axel and put some effort in if you're going to ignore the penalties.

We should ask for a refund.

Agree 100% Deb however we all know NHL refs are terrible 

the unwritten rule in the league is you take care of things when the refs don’t 

its more important to defend a teammate vs trying to salvage a point plus the ref would have allowed a response knowing he just allowed 3 crosschecks and a slash. would have taken him off the hook actually 

my whole issue is when you look out for each other points don't mean a thing because you will never have the true “team” it takes to win a cup

pack mentality is what we need. Mess with one player you mess with the entire team 

2 hours ago, yes we can nucks said:

It still burns me that Fordork got away with attacking Hogs with not even a full minute in the penalty box. And we didn't even get a pp! What's to deter a goon from going after Hughes or Petey like that in other games? Even if they escape injury it could intimidate them.

The only recourse I see in the absence of competent officiating is to go back after Fordork ...or one of the Jet stars.

Edit: sorry, brain fart. In the absence of COMPETENT, not weak officiating.

I would love to see Virtanen running guys tonight. If a lanky guy like Petterson can finish his checks JV has no excuse (other than laziness). Unfortunately he's the only forward in the line up who can lay a punishing check. We need to start laying on the body early to set the tone and send the message that we won't tolerate abuse of our young stars. No need to play dirty or Bertuzzi anyone, just check hard and check often. 

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

I would love to see Virtanen running guys tonight. If a lanky guy like Petterson can finish his checks JV has no excuse (other than laziness). Unfortunately he's the only forward in the line up who can lay a punishing check. We need to start laying on the body early to set the tone and send the message that we won't tolerate abuse of our young stars. No need to play dirty or Bertuzzi anyone, just check hard and check often. 

Agree completely.

9 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Oh no, not another Loui Eriksson night, please. 

maybe its because in 4 games together Loui, Beagle and Jake only have 1 goal against. 

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/linestats.php?fromseason=20202021&thruseason=20202021&stype=2&sit=5v5&score=all&rate=n&team=VAN&vteam=ALL&view=wowy&loc=B&gpfilt=none&fd=2021-01-13&td=2021-05-08&tgp=2000&strict=incl&p1=8470626&p2=8474291&p3=8477937&p4=0&p5=0

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, yes we can nucks said:

And yet Miller has 16 points in 18 games... good enough for top 30 in the league. Pettersson is 2 pts behind.  Are you discounting the value of their assists? You know their lotto linemate Brock has 12 goals, second most in the league? Does that happen without 40 and 9?

Granted they haven't been as dominant as last year. But they're not the disaster you're suggesting they are. A big game or two from them and they'll be back on track. And I would say it's more a matter of the third and fourth lines needing to 'step up big time' with secondary scoring than it is for Petey and Mills.

Assists are nice, but... I'm looking at overall play. Miller hasn't put in 100%, especially defensively, and Pettersson looks like a rookie out there this year. Lots of giveaways and gaffs, no confidence in his one-timer. I really like Pettersson and Miller, but I'm not going to sugar coat it. If they had raised their game to last year's level, they might be in a playoff spot right now. Look at what McDavid and Draisaitl are doing for EDM, 2nd in the division right now. Canucks need GOALS from these guys.

34 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Was thinking last night about the NHL’s EBUG rules (emergency back up goalie) and how you’re basically allowed to dress anybody who can wear pads, when your starter and backup get injured. Maybe we should find the biggest, scariest bareknuckle streetfighter or MMA guy in Canada and get him some goalie pads and a few bear league starts (just to make it look legit). If the refs ever decide to pull shenanigans and not keep order and protect the players, our goalies both suddenly come down with mysterious “injuries” and can’t play, and we put an absolute monster in the net. On the next puck drop, he just goes Gino style and fights everyone, only stopping his rampage when the whole opposing team, five skaters and the goalie, are either well bloodied or completely laid out and “taking a nap” on the ice.

Do you remember Gino against the Blues? One of my favourite moments as a Canucks fan.

All Anderson could do was run away

• Upvote 1

About retaliatory fights

Ever since the Bertuzzi/Moore incident, players have been alot more careful to not go out of their way, after the incident, there by not having as many 2nd game type retaliatory premeditated fights. It is not that it does not happen, but it is much more part of the 2nd game play, rather than skate up to a guy and jump him. It is much more planned and discussed between the players planning to fight. Which is why you see, more 2nd game fights that are void of secondary scrums, and more before the play starts.

Basically, the guy knows something is coming and the tough guy comes over and says in warm up, they are going to start me, and I am coming over to fight you. It is very civilized in a weird way. This is to control incidental injuries, such as Moores, when in the heat of the moment, too many guys are involved, there by increasing the chance of injury.

Old time hockey, is gone for the most part. Now a days, these guys are practicing with each other all summer, in different ice rentals, so there is much more friendships happening, multiply that with the general publics distain for violence, and there is just not as much of that in compared to yester year.

This is why, I get so upset with Horvat, because it was in the moment, where there should be a instinctual response, as a team mate and as a captain. Again, if Horvat responds to the 1st occurrence, the second one does not happen. IMO

IMO, since we do not have that tough guy, I think the incident is over. 

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

Yawn.... 

Same old same old. 

Do you think the Canucks have played better the last 5-6 games or are they playing at the same level as the beginning of the season? 

You gotta find positives and build on it. 

I would admittedly be worried if they still couldn't string 2 passes together. They've actually carried the play recently. 

Time is running out on this season but I do like what I'm seeing from this team and we have a bright future. 

Carrying the play and having no puck luck in a shortened season is different from a macro view of the stats and saying we lost 8 out of 10.

I remember Tron when it first came out as a kid - fascinating stuff.   I imagine this is what is happening win or loss so far this season on a few accounts, what the CDC looks like inside and those poor folks that have to file stuff :spam mail GIF

Edited by IBatch

8 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Assists are nice, but... I'm looking at overall play. Miller hasn't put in 100%, especially defensively, and Pettersson looks like a rookie out there this year. Lots of giveaways and gaffs, no confidence in his one-timer. I really like Pettersson and Miller, but I'm not going to sugar coat it. If they had raised their game to last year's level, they might be in a playoff spot right now. Look at what McDavid and Draisaitl are doing for EDM, 2nd in the division right now. Canucks need GOALS from these guys.

Still think you're barking up the wrong tree. I already mentioned their offensive contribution. And the Nucks are already one of the top scoring teams in the league. Would more goals help? Yeah. But their dismal GA stat suggests overall team defence is the main problem.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Do you remember Gino against the Blues? One of my favourite moments as a Canucks fan.

All Anderson could do was run away

He wasn't too happy was he.   Janis touched up this above too - these days are now long gone.   Back during the battle of Alberta - during the summer they used to have events together and were deliberately sat at opposite sides of the room and nobody interacted because fireworks would surely occur.   Now guys have other players at their weddings, train together and the world is a lot smaller communication wise via the internet (simple to stay in touch - plan beers after the game with old teammates etc)...

Take out all the goons and every enforcer (they don't exist anymore)...and this is just what you get.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

In what way? Same amount of pts in twice as many games. 

We're  5-6 with mac in the lineup 

We're 2-2-1 with little things in the lineup

Macewens hits have never really made an impact in a game this year imo. 

Neither of them look like am nhler to me 

When Mac was playing the whole team played poorly so you can't blame that on Mac.  Mac has all the tools.  He needs to play to develope.  As far as LE is concerned, he's not playing that bad.  You all have this preconcieved hate for LE but his line is playing good.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, yes we can nucks said:

Still think you're barking up the wrong tree. I already mentioned their offensive contribution. And the Nucks are already one of the top scoring teams in the league. Would more goals help? Yeah. But their dismal GA stat suggests overall team defence is the main problem.

I agree, the team defence has been poor all season. It is nice to see Juolevi progressing every game. They need the 1st goal tonight.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

About retaliatory fights

Ever since the Bertuzzi/Moore incident, players have been alot more careful to not go out of their way, after the incident, there by not having as many 2nd game type retaliatory premeditated fights. It is not that it does not happen, but it is much more part of the 2nd game play, rather than skate up to a guy and jump him. It is much more planned and discussed between the players planning to fight. Which is why you see, more 2nd game fights that are void of secondary scrums, and more before the play starts.

Basically, the guy knows something is coming and the tough guy comes over and says in warm up, they are going to start me, and I am coming over to fight you. It is very civilized in a weird way. This is to control incidental injuries, such as Moores, when in the heat of the moment, too many guys are involved, there by increasing the chance of injury.

Old time hockey, is gone for the most part. Now a days, these guys are practicing with each other all summer, in different ice rentals, so there is much more friendships happening, multiply that with the general publics distain for violence, and there is just not as much of that in compared to yester year.

This is why, I get so upset with Horvat, because it was in the moment, where there should be a instinctual response, as a team mate and as a captain. Again, if Horvat responds to the 1st occurrence, the second one does not happen. IMO

IMO, since we do not have that tough guy, I think the incident is over. 

I agree.   With the exception that i do think some fireworks could happen, i do think that the incident has been filed, and at some point the ledger will get balanced.   Personally i love this sort of thing, glad it happened - and all these mini-series as it's starting to build a little hate/rivalry.   First game against WNP was arguably our best game all year - for sure they remembered - and both teams fought hard.    TG has the team coming out hard in the first the last six games - as long as it continues, the wins will come.   

• Cheers 1

Winnipeg are starting to look more and more like the team everyone expected - great top line, solid physical defence and good goaltending. Meanwhile we've looked nothing like the team we were last year or should be this year.

This game is going to be a big character one for either team, whichever team wins will be the gutsier one that shows more character. Right now I don't like our chances but you never know who will step up, I'm hoping for Hoglander on the top line with Petey and Brock to score the GWG.

7 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

image.png

At least it's not the two crooks we got last game.  I would assume Benning would have had a long discussion with the league and advised them to send both of those dirtbags to the US for the season to prevent further incidents.  The league does have the guys who worked the WJHC available in an emergency, which would be a better option than giving us officials who are unlikely to call an honest game.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, yes we can nucks said:

They've tightened up over the last six games.   Keep that up and we will absolutely win more then lose.   Personally i'm a fan of 5-4 games ... or 4-3 ones at the minimum.   Bored to tears for almost a decade but kept watching anyways.   Don't mind a bad D if the O is good enough in other words - as a game plan.   After half a decade with some of the worst D production i've ever seen - i will take the gaffes over a chess match anyday.   It's entertaining as heck i comparrison.   And that decade i'm talking about is of course the dead puck one.   Crawford at least didn't buy into that too much as well.  And the worst D production ever refers to the Sedin decline rebuild we've just had. 

Edited by IBatch