The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Winnipeg Jets | February 21, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP NHLN

Rate this topic

-SN-

10 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

I see this season as a year to iron out the kinks. Demko is getting valuable time as a starter (and imo, we should start him more); Hoglander gets his feet wet in the NHL; Juolevi finally made his debut and slowly developing towards a Top 4 D. I think all 3 will be key parts of this team going forward. Next off-season, the goal should focused on shedding cap-space and moving out deadweights. Give this team good supporting cast so to the the pressure off the young players. We are fine long term.

I'd add MacEwen as a great bottom six physical force. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

38 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

these guys didn't lose us the game either. A very good shot in 3 on 3 did. 

I think you are missing the point of the quote Jimmy

The guys listed above Boeser, Pettersson, Millre, Edler, Schmidt, and Holtby were all zero or plus players for the game, these guys were not. I did mention coaching as well, so I think you kind of took this one part and quoted it out of context. Maybe I was not clear in my point, but it was there in the box score for the game, for anyone to see.

As much as I loved seeing Pettersson scoring goals, his line was a minus tonight. 

The bigger question, and the one that should be discussed is why are we loosing games? Is it the players, the goaltending or the coaching? I actually do not think it is the players, as much as the later 2 (Goaltending and deployment) I am just not sure what to do about it? 

I actually think our players are as good as anyone's (within reason)

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, janisahockeynut said:

The guys listed above Boeser, Pettersson, Millre, Edler, Schmidt, and Holtby were all zero or plus players for the game, these guys were not. I did mention coaching as well, so I think you kind of took this one part and quoted it out of context. Maybe I was not clear in my point, but it was there in the box score for the game, for anyone to see.

As much as I loved seeing Pettersson scoring goals, his line was a minus tonight. 

The bigger question, and the one that should be discussed is why are we loosing games? Is it the players, the goaltending or the coaching? I actually do not think it is the players, as much as the later 2 (Goaltending and deployment) I am just not sure what to do about it? 

for me it comes down to Green's assistant coaches, not our players. I see effort and improvement in nearly everyone but Jake. 

• Vintage 1

28 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

what does our 1st and Gaud's get us from Nashville? 

That is intriguing. I automatically assumed the Canucks would pick in the Top 10 again this year, but maybe Benning does something similar when he got Miller? I'm not sure a high first will help this team in the near future, could take years for the "new guy" to get up to good NHL speed. 

Idea:

Trade Jake to BUF or OTT or some other team he won't flourish on. Do not trade him to BOS or within the division. 

to BOS: Gaudette and 1st (sending Gaud home) - and ??

to VAN: Carlo and Coyle (or something like that)

bottom 6:

Motte - Coyle - MacEwen

Roussel - Beagle - Sutter

D:

Edler - Myers

Hughes - Carlo

Juolevi - Schmidt

EDIT - I realized the cap wouldn't allow something like this, unless VAN could somehow shed salary

Edited by NUCKER67

12 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

That is intriguing. I automatically assumed the Canucks would pick in the Top 10 again this year, but maybe Benning does something similar when he got Miller? I'm not sure a high first will help this team in the near future, could take years for the "new guy" to get up to good NHL speed. 

Idea:

Trade Jake to BUF or OTT or some other team he won't flourish on. Do not trade him to BOS or within the division. 

to BOS: Gaudette and 1st (sending Gaud home)

bottom 6:

Motte - Coyle - MacEwen

D:

Edler - Myers

Hughes - Carlo

Juolevi - Schmidt

A 1st is too steep, especially given the way things have been trending, we are giving up a top 10 pick + Gaudtte who I believe still have upside. Sometimes we have to remember that development isn't always on an upward trajectory.

31 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I think it's growing pains.  QHs and EP are getting the attention they deserve, as a result both guys are played to grind them down.   For me we are missing the lack of support from the bottom six - as in JV and AG, their goals from last year right now would make the difference in a W or a L most games (last 7-8)....

Goaltending has been good enough the last 7 games too.   For sure we are missing the stolen games from last year.

Overall i'd say it's disappointing.   If we have to point fingers it's a double edged sword - JB is to blame for his dead weight contracts - but he's also the reason we have these guys in the first place.   If we only sucked for one more year - all would be forgiven and all would be ok.    Next season .... well.   The core needs to arrive or it might not be so good either...the following one is the start of the peak years.    A lot of variables and a lot could happen.  Personally I don't think we have enough and at most only some of it is coaching. That said the room backed him up, and for sure have had great first periods that last 7 or so games.   That's coaching.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

The Canucks are 0-1-1 while wearing the reverse retro jerseys.

We wear these jerseys for our next two games, too.

I noticed this, seems a lot of times the Canucks wear a special type jersey, they lose. I wonder what the record is. I do recall during the Heritage Classic against OTT several years ago, VAN lost that one too.  

20 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Idea:

to BOS: Gaudette and 1st (sending Gaud home) - and ??

bottom 6:

Motte - Coyle - MacEwen

D:

Edler - Myers

Hughes - Carlo

Juolevi - Schmidt

EDIT - I realized the cap wouldn't allow something like this, unless VAN could somehow shed salary

The biggest problem I see with this is that Boston is still in a "win now" mode and probably see themselves as a legit Cup contender. Carlo and Coyle are contributing to that "win now" mode today, whereas Gaudette and a 1st that "could take years to get up to good NHL speed" would be a step back in their "win now" window.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, canuktravella said:

ya if their salaries were 1 mill and 2.5 mill id be ok with it but 7.25 mill for 9 combined points   in 43 combined games played has bad optics   i like sutter  at a 1/3 of his salary  

That's not realistic though, you're not getting a younger Sutter for roughly 1.4m. Particularly before a dead Covid related cap. He's currently overpaid for what he brings, but 1.4 is a lowball. The sweet spot would probably be closer to 2.5-3.25m. If we end up retaining him I imagine he lands somewhere between 2.5-3m. 

As for Rouss, that's a tough one. When we signed him as a ufa he was supposed to be a premier third liner who could agitate, play hard, and contribute offensively. If you go back and look at his numbers with Dallas that's what he brought, and that's what we got during his first season here. Like Sutter, he's run into injury trouble as a Canuck though, and hasn't really been quite the same player since coming back last season. He looks like dead weight right now, but what we're seeing isn't the player we signed. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, Convincing John said:

It’s both, VGK didn’t change their Identity when they changed coaches. How many different coaches did the Devils have in the 90’s? Even the Red Wings. The identity starts with the GM, he builds a plan with the scouting staff, they pick these players on the draft floor. Then you need coaches that can coach the brand that you’re building. The GM then adds players that complement the core he drafted and the system the coaching staff has in place. Like I said before. Who are we? If you could coach us into an identity then tell me what that identity would be? 

The GM can acquire the players but it is still up to the coaches on how they are deployed and what system they play on the ice.  Of course, when a coach\staff gets fired the GM will look to continue a system if it has been successful (such as the case of those teams you had mentioned), for example: Gallant in Vegas the GM deemed it was time to move on from him but they still kept the same system (perhaps due to the roster) but most of the time when a team is struggling the GM brings in a new coach with his preferred system and will look to maximze the talent in the roster.

I do somewhat agree, that the teams' roster is built with the working & planning of the GM, Scouting dept and Coaching staff; but Imo, it is still the staff that puts it all together cause the deployment & the system the team plays on the ice is still determined by them on game time.  

Edited by ShawnAntoski

22 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

for me it comes down to Green's assistant coaches, not our players. I see effort and improvement in nearly everyone but Jake. 

7 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Idea:

to BOS: Gaudette and 1st (sending Gaud home)

bottom 6:

Motte - Coyle - MacEwen

D:

Edler - Myers

Hughes - Carlo

Juolevi - Schmidt

I agree on coaching Jimmy, and before we go and start selling off draft picks, I want to see what a coaching change does.

Truthfully, I want to see us clear up our cap space before adding any players, and would like to wait and clear that space organically in the summer

This year seems to be a write off, and if we are going to add a significant player, it needs to be just that. IMO, you are not getting much of an upgrade over Sutter

by way of trade, especially when we are tight to the cap. 

Canucks have no business even thinking of dealing a first round pick that potentially could be a lottery pick.  Baring a huge overpayment by the OTHER team.  Stay the course and work with your strengths- drafting.  Gaudette has minimal value right now.  Better off keeping him.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2