The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Winnipeg Jets | February 21, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP NHLN

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 hour ago, Mustard Tiger said:

I see people still thinking pettersson is a 8+ million dollar player, in a flat cap at that. As well as a comparison to Aho, who is a superior, more dynamic player. I love watching carolina play ( my east team ) And its easy to make the case svech has the same if not more impact on games then petey currently.
Sometimes it helps to actually watch another teams play, not such check the stat sheet. Barzal is a closer comparison, who is stuck on a defense first team.
I find it hard to believe he's shown this year he's any more valuable then boeser. Which game has he dominated to earn that level of pay? You dont pay for what someone could become, You pay for what they are right now.

12m range is the matthews/mcdavid's. Ones that show up every night to dominate.
8-10 range is the Aho/marners. Ones who make something happen every single shift, Maybe not dominate but the presence is felt.
6-7 range are the barzals/boesers. Ones who have solid outings most games, and dominate shifts when they are on their game.

A few guys having stupid friendly contracts like pasta and mackinnon, Easy to put them in the 10+ range.

Now where does petey rank at this point in time. Well he dominates a few shifts a game, Other games you wouldn't know hes playing if we didn't have a powerplay.
A bridge deal should be expected, As he has the tools to be the 10m dollar player, Just isn't at that level. Therefor we have no reason to pay him that. You could have a case prior to this year for a 8x8 but covid /  his current performance has thrown a wrench into that.

I see him far closer to 6, if he turns it up to a level we have seen at times in previous years to finish this year, 7 would be more fair. On a 3 year deal of course.

The pressure on him right now to be our best player on a ELC is crazy already. How about when hes the highest paid forward? I love petey, he will be a corner stone for us for years to come. I just hope he understands he's like mackinnon before breaking out currently, And deserves a contract closer to that range.

Alot of the Canuck diehards will not like this one bit, But its my opinion based on watching a good amount of hockey, Not just our team

Don’t forget Pettersson and Hughes are now represented by the same agent which will probably give them some extra negotiating power, I could see him closer to 8 than 6.

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

He did???

Give us the scoop, because the official version Is that he and Benn were quarantined because they were sharing Benn's house, and contact tracing showed that Benn might be a carrier from his Dallas brother, who did test positive for covid.   After 4 negative tests in 7 days he was released to join the team, and hired a private jet to get him to Calgary

You have a different, insider's version?

Jeezuz man, no need to be so patronizing. My bad, I thought JT had COVID. I stand corrected.  I guess I'll jump on the 'worthless bum' bandwagon with the other half of CDC now, lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, TNucks1 said:

May be an image of text that says "iter HONDA TOGET WEF SOG 15:00 FREE BEER! POR JORALL ALL FANS IN ATTENDANCE TONIGHT ONLY DUCKS HOCKEY 3 Û CLUT UCI Health ANAHEIM DD"

Damn.   True story.   I've seen FIRE GREEN on here so much - the first thing i saw on the scoreboard was FIRE BEER!     Dumb Nuck and 2288 maybe tone it done a little and save us some heart palpitations.

Edit:  Green vs Beer?   Ha ha bye bye Green. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Jeezuz man, no need to be so patronizing. My bad, I thought JT had COVID. I stand corrected.  I guess I'll jump on the 'worthless bum' bandwagon with the other half of CDC now, lol.

Don't worry - it happens to the best of us.   Too much information - too little time.   Have to trust some of the information, nobody has enough time to fact check all of it.   And as an aside.  It could be so much worse, instead we could be pulling some odd Ron McLean segways, about some inane subjects like a shirt we owned as a kid of a specific hockey card.   That said id be happy to talk about a 94 conference final t-shirt i acquired that will never fit me. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

I'm getting flashbacks to decades past. Oh no, Kes signed an offer sheet..Oh man, Lu wants too much. Yayyy, we signed him, & it's a lifetime-deal for our Hart-worthy 'tender!

Burr's reasonable deal. What should we do with the twins?!

All our negos seemed to go swimmingly. Then of course, the league(NHL Hindquarters) decides to make up new rules, just for us! Just wonderful...

As the yrs go by, feeling less & less interested in these things. Am sure many young stars will be compensated handsomely. Wake me when it's official.

• Vintage 4

29 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Damn.   True story.   I've seen FIRE GREEN on here so much - the first thing i saw on the scoreboard was FIRE BEER!     Dumb Nuck and 2288 maybe tone it done a little and save us some heart palpitations.

Free Green 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Don’t forget Pettersson and Hughes are now represented by the same agent which will probably give them some extra negotiating power, I could see him closer to 8 than 6.

Hughes isn't a worry to me. He has zero rights. Signs or doesn't play. Obviously he will still get a good deal but looking at numbers of other defenders, Low end good dmen that are young are klingberg/theodore/mcavoy/sergachev are 4.25 to 5.25. Top dmen in UFA years are hedman/josi are 7.8 to 9.

Huggy is still pretty weak on the defensive side compared to the top dogs, But he's a first class offensive guy right now. Still with the lack of rights it puts him IMO boeser range just like petey. 5.85 to maybe 6.5

It will be interesting to see how this off-season plays out though. I'm almost more interested in that then this current year

2 hours ago, gurn said:

"Look at what McDavid and Draisaitl are doing for EDM,"

So your comparison is McDavid, tabbed by most as the best in the league and

Draisaitl, last years Art Ross winner?

Those guys are the best in the league and are paid as such.  They can dominate a game.

Miller and EP...not so much.  They're good but not next level good (at least not yet for EP).  I think EP needs to bulk up a bit (and be Forsberg like :)).

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Hughes isn't a worry to me. He has zero rights. Signs or doesn't play. Obviously he will still get a good deal but looking at numbers of other defenders, Low end good dmen that are young are klingberg/theodore/mcavoy/sergachev are 4.25 to 5.25. Top dmen in UFA years are hedman/josi are 7.8 to 9.

Huggy is still pretty weak on the defensive side compared to the top dogs, But he's a first class offensive guy right now. Still with the lack of rights it puts him IMO boeser range just like petey. 5.85 to maybe 6.5

It will be interesting to see how this off-season plays out though. I'm almost more interested in that then this current year

I think a $6×2 or $7x2 bridge deal would be reasonable. Hopefully these guys will accept that. 

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Firing Green is one thing...firing beer, never!!!

• Cheers 1

Is anyone else worried about the tone of the team? I just don't hear a lot in their comments to the media about the need to win a lot of games to get back into the playoff race. It just seems like everyone is happy they are playing better. I just would like an expectation to win and the need to win and come out hard. It feels like a development year again which is not good because it is not.

I think the Canucks should really consider adding a goon to this team, this team already takes enough penalties so that part wouldn't hurt them, he can play in the bottom 6 they're not relied on to score points to carry this team and if he's not that good defensively he can just be benched in the 3rd, perfect fit and gives the young guys the protection they need especially if this franchise is going to rely on smaller players for skill going forward. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Is anyone else worried about the tone of the team? I just don't hear a lot in their comments to the media about the need to win a lot of games to get back into the playoff race. It just seems like everyone is happy they are playing better. I just would like an expectation to win and the need to win and come out hard. It feels like a development year again which is not good because it is not.

Embrace the tank, the team has. 1sy overall here we come...