The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Winnterpeg Jets | March 1, 2021 | 5 p.m. PT | SNP, TVAS

Rate this topic

-SN-

2 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Went from hoping they'd miss the playoffs to hoping they'll win every game. :(

I think so too, or atleast he can be. Not having played for so long he's still rounding into form, but I think he's legit.

And considering he wants to stay in Western Canada maybe he can be a longer term player for 

Dont mind Hamonic staying for cheap, we need defensive defensemen badly and he is one that can PK too. I wouldnt sign Edler though, since Joulevi seems ready to play more next season plus we can sign Tryamkin or Rathbone can make it next year.

Hughes-Tryamkin

Hamonic-Schmidt

Joulevi-Myers

Rathbone, Benn for depth.

Out: Edler and if Myers is exposed and taken, that 6 mil would be used for a much better D in a trade ie. Cernak from Tampa

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'm hoping we retain him, he was basically Calgary's Tanev 

Saves our having to find an RD during the offseason 

Same. Even more so if they expose Myers.

The good news is Rathbone looks like he could be ready pretty soon, but he won't be playing RD with Hughes. Maybe a replacement for Edler.

Left side looks good with Rathbone & Juolevi coming up behind Hughes.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Just now, Beary Sweet said:

Need a repeat of tonight tomorrow. Great team effort. Still in the playoff race. Not out of reach yet

I think our PP is really bad. I doubt we make it to playoffs. Newell Brown needs to get fired for using the same tactic and same PP1 unit for 2 years with ZERO changes. Would love to see Hoglander in PP1 instead of Miller or Boeser. 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

3 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

Dont mind Hamonic staying for cheap, we need defensive defensemen badly and he is one that can PK too. I wouldnt sign Edler though, since Joulevi seems ready to play more next season plus we can sign Tryamkin or Rathbone can make it next year.

Hughes-Tryamkin

Hamonic-Schmidt

Joulevi-Myers

Rathbone, Benn for depth.

Out: Edler and if Myers is exposed and taken, that 6 mil would be used for a much better D in a trade ie. Cernak from Tampa

Yeah time to give the prospects a legit chance and replenish the prospect cupboard. Also, as the vets move out, the team identity and culture will change as well to reflect the new core (when Edler goes, Bo & JV will be the last holdovers from the Sedins Era).

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

I remember clearly all the tankers whining when Demko got his first career win back in the day. Sad bunch.

Tonight his first regular season shutout. I love it 

I dont mind them winning but could be too little too late and I blame the coaching staff.

• Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Same. Even more so if they expose Myers.

The good news is Rathbone looks like he could be ready pretty soon, but he won't be playing RD with Hughes. Maybe a replacement for Edler.

Left side looks good with Rathbone & Juolevi coming up behind Hughes.

I mean, I was advocating signing Benn to a one year extension to use as expansion fodder but I think Myers may be exposed. Dunno how I feel about that, Myers adds a useful skillset to our back end and is one of the few D who consistently pushes back physically (sometimes resulting in "big man bad for being physical with smaller players" penalties). But it seems like a fit, Hamonic likely doesn't wanna leave western Canada. 

Rathbone should be retained, I do not want to see him traded as I see him being an NHL regular and you need multiple D who can move the puck to be successful in today's game. Hughes and Schmidt don't make him redundant. 

I do think Edler comes back for at least one more season though. 

1 minute ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yeah time to give the prospects a legit chance and replenish the prospect cupboard. Also, as the vets move out, the team identity and culture will change as well to reflect the new core (when Edler goes, Bo will be the last hold over from the Sedins Era).

I dont consider Bo part of Sedins Era though, Horvat is part of the new core. I also think Rathbone should make the team next year as he has been really hot in the AHL. Plays a bit like Hughes but he is bigger and has better defense. Would be a solid defender on the 3rd pairing.

• Huggy Bear 1

Just now, DefCon1 said:

I dont mind them winning but could be too little too late and I blame the coaching staff.

Could be for sure. Who knows with Calgary and Montreal stumbling. I’ll always cheer them and hope for wins and get excited about the draft after.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1