The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Winnterpeg Jets | March 1, 2021 | 5 p.m. PT | SNP, TVAS

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

He's an absolute giant who skates fairly well for a man his size. He brings a toughness factor, intimidates, plays steady defensive minutes, and he's got a huge wingspan for his stickwork. He adds an element our D core currently lacks. 

There aren't many players who are going to be keen on going into his corner for a puck. He broke Richardson last time he was here and he looked like he was barely trying. 

If he can bring that,  even 15 mins a game,  that would be huge for our d code.

• Cheers 3

38 minutes ago, Pickly said:

No,  Tryamkin isn’t the solution to the defensive core. Hell, even with the addition of Hughes and Juolevi the Canucks still need that top pairing, minute munching guy that can play in all situations. I love what those two bring to the table but we need a true presence back there once Eddie leaves which is sooner than later. Problem is those guys are hard to come by but good thing is there’s a couple in this years draft that can help that. Fingers crossed Jimbo comes in clutch this years draft. 

I think Schmidt is the next guy after Edler, if he isn't there right now. He's already taken Edler's spot on the 2nd PP, he plays the PK, & plays the hardest minutes w/ Edler 5 on 5. He (briefly) formed a good pair anchoring Myers too. And he's locked up long term.

So he's one. We could use another one though, as Edler gets older (and already having lost Tanev). 

Rathbone is a play driving type. I think he'll play top 4 mins, but not sure if he's the ideal hard matchup guy. He skates well enough, maybe he can grow into it. 

And Juolevi, I'm not sure what he is yet. He's got the IQ to be a matchup guy, it's just whether his mobility will improve IMO.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Are we still crying over those players?

Not signing Markstrom to that deal was the right move, I like Marky but I wouldn't give him 6x6 at almost age 31. He's 31 now. Not with a younger goaltender like Demko in the wings, who's showing this season that he's capable of being a difference maker for this team. 

Stecher walking wasn't a huge deal imo. He played with a lot of heart, was a fan fave, loved being here, played his guts out. But he struggled more come playoff time, Juolevi is an upgrade with likely both a higher ceiling and floor. 

Tanev played an entire season for the first time in his career last season, which was an anomaly. I wouldn't have given him that deal either, it's only a matter of time before he's hurt in Calgary. Appreciated him while he was here, we were better with him in the lineup than out of it, but I wouldn't give him 5x4.4m at almost age 31 when history tells you he'll be hurt for large portions of that tenure. 

Leivo was a depth piece who's not making much of an impact on a mediocre Flames club, nothing to see here. 

to u

Toffoli's someone I'd like to have retained, but his loss is overblown. He was brought in when Boeser went down to help us make a playoff run, and while he was effective during the regular season it wasn't long before he went down himself. We beat Minnesota and St. Louis without him. That run was well worth the cost. When we brought him in it'd been forecasted that the cap would rise, if it had risen as anticipated we'd likely have retained him. 

Schmidt for a third was a good deal. Holtby on a two year deal as a safety valve for Demko wasn't a bad signing. Hamonic is an absolute win. 

Beagle's contract is fine for what he brings, and it's almost over. Roussel was an effective player during his first season here and came as advertised, he admittedly hasn't been the same since coming back from injury but that's hockey. Sutter's probably overpaid by maybe 1-1.5m, but he's an effective player for us and we should consider retaining him on a shorter, cheaper deal. 

Context matters, these guys were signed to insulate our young core as we were trying to emerge from the depth crater left by Gillis@co. 

You seem to argue with me for sake of arguing. If I say the sky is blue you will probably chime in to say it is not. You really think if we had cap space we would give up all those players? especially Toffoli who we gave up a 2nd round draft pick and Madden for. Please dont tell me or give me reasons to suggest it was a good idea to give up Toffoli and Tanev. Heck Benning would have signed Marky too if we had lots of cap room. This is the same guy who gave Roussel and Beagle 3 million and Myers 6 million. Take off the rose colored glasses and look around other forums and see what people think of our off season instead of praising Benning at every turn.

• Cheers 1

Great game by the Canucks (including the coaching)!  You could really see how the extra practice time has helped the team.  This team is decent but they aren't making the playoffs this year.  I'm not a tanker though.  Tanking just builds a losing culture.  The other teams in the division have too many games in hand. 

I really like how we've played in the last 10 games or so.  The big boys (Jake, Gaudette and Zack) all played well.  Great to see Demko get his first shutout!

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

He's an absolute giant who skates fairly well for a man his size. He brings a toughness factor, intimidates, plays steady defensive minutes, and he's got a huge wingspan for his stickwork. He adds an element our D core currently lacks. 

There aren't many players who are going to be keen on going into his corner for a puck. He broke Richardson last time he was here and he looked like he was barely trying. 

9 minutes ago, BCNate said:

If he can bring that,  even 15 mins a game,  that would be huge for our d code.

It would be a shame to lose Tryamkins rights without even giving it another shot.

Even if he's only a bottom pair guy for the first while, it's worth it w/ his size & skating ability.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

50 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

And the best part if he moves very well for such a big dude, no need to worry about him being a sloth

I dunno man, every team is trying to draft or acquire one of those players. They're unicorns and teams don't let them go. The last one we saw move was Petro, and look at what he cost Vegas in terms of assets and cash. Before that you're probably looking at Karlsson. 

Much easier to build a more balanced D core than chase a unicorn. Tryamkin isn't the solution, but when it comes to hockey it's rare that a single player is. What he can be is part of an effective D core. 

im not worried blut tryamkin he wil come in and play hard and clear the crease and be like dana murzyn or willie mitchell was for us. we havent had a guy like that on our d corp since   maybe bieska but hes wasnt as big as thoughs to 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

im not worried blut tryamkin he wil come in and play hard and clear the crease and be like dana murzyn or willie mitchell was for us. we havent had a guy like that on our d corp since   maybe bieska but hes wasnt as big as thoughs to 

lets hope Benning signs him because Canucks do need a big guy like Tryamkin if Seattle takes Myers off our hands.Tryamkin can replace Myers size and toughness easily while the cqp space allows us to add maybe another top 4 D to the mix. At least that is my hope of how things will turn out. 

4 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Liked what I saw tonight, textbook example of keeping things simple (the three goals against Hellebuyck were point shots with screens, tips and deflections).  

I just dont know why they dont use that strategy for PP1. Have a Hoglander or Pearson stand in front of the net and tip pucks in, instead of the same perimeter play. Cant wait til they fire Brown and hire someone that can teach our guys how to play on the powerplay. Our PP1 is very talented, it just needs change in tactic.

• Vintage 1

52 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Are we still crying over those players?

Not signing Markstrom to that deal was the right move, I like Marky but I wouldn't give him 6x6 at almost age 31. He's 31 now. Not with a younger goaltender like Demko in the wings, who's showing this season that he's capable of being a difference maker for this team. 

Stecher walking wasn't a huge deal imo. He played with a lot of heart, was a fan fave, loved being here, played his guts out. But he struggled more come playoff time, Juolevi is an upgrade with likely both a higher ceiling and floor. 

Tanev played an entire season for the first time in his career last season, which was an anomaly. I wouldn't have given him that deal either, it's only a matter of time before he's hurt in Calgary. Appreciated him while he was here, we were better with him in the lineup than out of it, but I wouldn't give him 4x4.5m at almost age 31 when history tells you he'll be hurt for large portions of that tenure. 

Leivo was a depth piece who's not making much of an impact on a mediocre Flames club, nothing to see here. 

Toffoli's someone I'd like to have retained, but his loss is overblown. He was brought in when Boeser went down to help us make a playoff run, and while he was effective during the regular season it wasn't long before he went down himself. We beat Minnesota and St. Louis without him. That run was well worth the cost. When we brought him in it'd been forecasted that the cap would rise, if it had risen as anticipated we'd likely have retained him. 

Schmidt for a third was a good deal. Holtby on a two year deal as a safety valve for Demko wasn't a bad signing. Hamonic is an absolute win. 

Beagle's contract is fine for what he brings, and it's almost over. Roussel was an effective player during his first season here and came as advertised, he admittedly hasn't been the same since coming back from injury but that's hockey. Sutter's probably overpaid by maybe 1-1.5m, but he's an effective player for us and we should consider retaining him on a shorter, cheaper deal. 

Context matters, these guys were signed to insulate our young core as we were trying to emerge from the depth crater left by Gillis@co. 

very well said!

• Like 1