The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Winnterpeg Jets | March 1, 2021 | 5 p.m. PT | SNP, TVAS

Rate this topic

-SN-

13 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

This is very recent, uploaded on Feb 3rd. He's clearly willing to throw down when needed. Maybe the game has gotten faster, but you've gotta think that if he's been playing pro hockey since he left that he's likely improved as well no? 

I don't think people want him to so much blow them away, we're not expecting him to be Chara. I think fans just want someone who's willing to stand up for his teammates, who makes opponents think twice, while playing responsible D. He's not a high offensive guy, but not every player needs to be. 

Tram brings an element we're missing, he's not a guy players are going to want to go into a corner against or get in front of the net with. 

OK! Bring that!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Keeping Rathbone in the AHL to clean up the defensive side of his game won't hurt him.

Well I think after he plays in AHL this season, he is ready next season. We are basically wasting ELC years of Pettersson, Hughes, Hoglander and Podkolzin imo. Benning has made a lot of mistakes otherwise if we had sogned good defensemen with the cap space we had, we would let Rathbone to maybe stay a bit more in the AHL. Problem is we lack good defensmen and we need our prospect like Hughes to be playing like elite number 1 D to even make playoffs. If we had great veteran D men, then there would be less pressure and ice time for Hughes which would allow him to play better. Plus we would allow more time for our prospects to develop. Unfortunately we dont have that luxury unless you dont mind missing playoffs for the next 2 to 3 years.

13 minutes ago, oldnews said:

the game has gotten much faster since Tryamkin was here?

seriously?

I think so.

Transition.

Gaps

Skating skills vs. physicality...

Zero room for error on breakouts and execution

At the very least the position had evolved tremendously. Maybe he has as well.

When was he last here btw?

5 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

tryamkin skates well i dont care if hes a sloth out there if he beats people up and breaks their legs with hits we gold 

And the best part if he moves very well for such a big dude, no need to worry about him being a sloth

1 minute ago, Pickly said:

No,  Tryamkin isn’t the solution to the defensive core. Hell, even with the addition of Hughes and Juolevi the Canucks still need that top pairing, minute munching guy that can play in all situations. I love what those two bring to the table but we need a true presence back there once Eddie leaves which is sooner than later. Problem is those guys are hard to come by but good thing is there’s a couple in this years draft that can help that. Fingers crossed Jimbo comes in clutch this years draft. 

I dunno man, every team is trying to draft or acquire one of those players. They're unicorns and teams don't let them go. The last one we saw move was Petro, and look at what he cost Vegas in terms of assets and cash. Before that you're probably looking at Karlsson. 

Much easier to build a more balanced D core than chase a unicorn. Tryamkin isn't the solution, but when it comes to hockey it's rare that a single player is. What he can be is part of an effective D core. 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Ok you want Edler back but for how long he will play? 2 years? 3 years? until he is 40? Should we just have Rathbone in AHL for 2 to 3 more years when he can be NHL ready as soon as next year? Are we cup contenders now that you think Edler should be back to give us experience in playoffs? You have to look at the big picture, we need our prospects who are ready for NHL to be playing games in the NHL. Bringing back Edler, Hamonic, Benn and Myers locked up will just be the repeat of this season next year. I dont want to watch us miss the playoffs next season again with the same players. The team will never improve that way. 

You don't seem to be capable of a conversation where you don't fill in straw blanks for the person you're purportedly having a discussion with.

Who said anything about "until 40?"  Or even 2, 3 years in the future?   Cut the embellishment and the drama.

Benn is also expiring - and so is Hamonic - so save the assumptions/the straw - no one has proposed bringing back all those D.   I've proposed many times already to move Benn - who is nowhere near an Alex Edler - but at least capable of placeholding (and on his off side) when the team hasn't been healthy.

You'll have to consult your crystal ball guy regarding how long Edler will play.  That will be determined by both team need, and how long Edler can be effective. 

He is very effective presently - so I'm skeptical you'd be able to identify true decline - because you're prematurely expecting him to hang them up.   One year at a time.  .   

Proposing to load up an entire left side of youth - is premature.  You don't know if Rathbone is or will be ready, period.  The team already has a 21 and 22 yr old on the left side. 

Sorry - but I don't share the youth culture perspective - certainly not when it comes to peeling off the key veterans capable of playing hard minutes.  

If/when Edler is necessary to replace, then replace him - if possible.  Easier said than done.  And when you have a guy like him - a bargain - who signed an e.d. circumvention deal for this team - and remains vital to their performance - you sure as hell entertain the idea of bringing him back, particularly when his performance continues to exceed his contract.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 4

You guys need to stop getting me excited about Tryamkin! Would be awesome to have a guy like him. 

Also watch the players on the bench in the fight, they looks terrified for their teammate haha.

Good game, let's hope for a repeat tomorrow. Jake seems to continue to wake up, and Big Mac is a beauty. 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, bad alice french said:

I think so.

Transition.

Gaps

Problem is that you guys think Tryamkin is the same Tryamkin of 3 years ago while the game drastically improved in 3 years. Both are exaggerations, because we have 4 slow D men that are still playing in the NHL. Not saying Tryamkin is top 4 now but how can we be sure when he isnt given the chance to play for us.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

I think so.

Transition.

Gaps

He last played in the NHL back in 2016/2017, under Willie if I recall correctly. 

The counterargument I'd make is that NHL ice is smaller than international ice in most cases, so if anything he'd have to cover less ice. 

4 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

I think so.

Transition.

Gaps

If you don't know when he was here last - how do you assess this alleged light speed evolution of the game since then?

You're really overestimating how much the game has allegedly changed in a few years.

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

And the best part if he moves very well for such a big dude, no need to worry about him being a sloth

I dunno man, every team is trying to draft or acquire one of those players. They're unicorns and teams don't let them go. The last one we saw move was Petro, and look at what he cost Vegas in terms of assets and cash. Before that you're probably looking at Karlsson. 

Much easier to build a more balanced D core than chase a unicorn. Tryamkin isn't the solution, but when it comes to hockey it's rare that a single player is. What he can be is part of an effective D core. 

I’m just not as sold on Try as some folks are. He could be a great complimentary piece but reality is he’s probably just a depth guy that can full a certain role. The Canucks are still not very good defensively and lack a top pairing guy that can crunch minutes and can play in every situation. Like I said before, Eddie has been that under appreciated, workhorse guy that’s getting long in the tooth and unless Juolevi can take over that role which I doubt that leaves a major hole that is important to any successful team.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

5 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Problem is that you guys think Tryamkin is the same Tryamkin of 3 years ago while the game drastically improved in 3 years. Both are exaggerations, because we have 4 slow D men that are still playing in the NHL. Not saying Tryamkin is top 4 now but how can we be sure when he isnt given the chance to play for us.

He was looking to come over this year but the Canucks had no money. So he resign for one more year. I love Edler but I think he will be made a low take it or leave it offer. This could be his last year. They didn't hesitate to move on from Tanev.

Jim made the statement that he had the potential to be a number one. I wonder what they still think. You can be sure that they are scouting him.

Edited by appleboy

29 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I agree with the first sentence - but not necessarily the second.  His overall game last year was very good.  it was merely his scoring (wrist injury related imo) that was lacking.

His aggressiveness, forechecking, his willingness to go to the hard areas, his backchecking - he worked his ass off last year (and in the playoffs) in spite of not being 100%.   I thought the signs were extremelty promising (while some folks wanted to deal him believing his best days were behind him.  It was how good he was playing and how hard he was working - in those aspects that were not necessarily his 'bread and butter' - that was so impressive.

Definitely wasn’t worried about him. Thought the idea of dealing him was ridiculous on so many levels. I remember when he was playing on the third line for awhile last year. That’s when I personally noticed him working on a lot of details 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yeah time to give the prospects a legit chance and replenish the prospect cupboard. Also, as the vets move out, the team identity and culture will change as well to reflect the new core (when Edler goes, Bo will be the last hold over from the Sedins Era).

Virtanen 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Pickly said:

I’m just not as sold on Try as some folks are. He could be a great complimentary piece but reality is he’s probably just a depth guy that can full a certain role. The Canucks are still not very good defensively and lack a top pairing guy that can crunch minutes and can play in every situation. Like I said before, Eddie has been that under appreciated, workhorse guy that’s getting long in the tooth and unless Juolevi can take over that role which I doubt that leaves a major hole that is important to any successful team.

I'm admittedly a bit skeptical as it's hard to know how he plays at the NHL level until he's back doing so, but there's an awful lot to like about his game. Even if he's a bottom pairing guy who plays relatively simple defensive hockey, that can still be valuable given his intangibles. 

And yeah, Eddie gets a bad rap from fans and he's been underappreciated for most of the last decade imo. I don't think some fans will realize how effective he was until he's no longer around. As it stands, we don't have anyone who can step up and eat the minutes he's eating. Maybe Juolevi does, but that's a lot to expect of a guy who will be a sophomore next season. 

• Cheers 4