The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Toronto Maple Leaves | March 6, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | CBC, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

2 minutes ago, AllWeatherFan said:

I looked this up tonight also. So good to see Demko's numbers ahead of Marky's. 

Despite the pain this first half of the season has inflicted I'm still glad JB didn't give what the Flames did to Marky/Tanev

I think the gap will only get bigger too. Demko's numbers are trending up as the D has stabilized... unlike the horror show it was in early season. Markstrom could struggle coming back from injury, and he's not getting any younger. It's looking like it was the right move letting him walk in favour of Demmer.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

12 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Mike Peca did have a great career...  for Buffalo and the Islanders...

Fraser was drafted in the 70’s, so almost 50 years, I was close...

I’m hoping Demko and Hoglander have much better careers than Raymond, Scatchard, Cullimore and Slegr...

Yes Gillis did trade away a lot of those 2nd round picks, but based on his drafting record I am sure none of them would have made the NHL...

Given Gillis' drafting record, he might as well have traded away all of the first round picks leading up to 2012 to help us get over the hump.

2008: In hindsight, Hodgson should have traded away sooner, like after WHJC for legit 2nd line scorer or top 3D. His stock was high.

2009: Trade away the pick for immediate help instead of drafting Schroder.

2010: Traded... but not for the right player.

2011: Should've traded the pick for a roster player at the TDL in prep for the cup run. We lost in game 7 and ended up picking Jensen, who didn't pan out.

2012: Same as above. We were on path to president's trophy and one more run. Should've traded this pick for immediate help.

With Daniel in the line up we would have won against LA and surely would've beaten all teams in our path to the cup. Whoever he traded for in 2011 and 2012 could've been enough to hold on until Daniel comes back.

It almost feels like Gillis didn't go all in -- he should have just mortgaged the future for one cup.

Edited by khay
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, lmm said:

that was a classy post

we should seriously consider what you call classless

ha ha har

Sorry; I just think the NHL would be a better league without either of those subhuman wastes of oxygen disgracing the sport every time they step on the ice.  I'd prefer if the NHL did their job and just banned them for life, but since they won't, an enforcer stepping up and doing the right thing makes the league a better place for the respectable players.

24 minutes ago, Pickly said:

I was thinking that during the game. There’s no reason why you shouldn’t try Petey on Bo’s wing. Could bring out something we haven’t seen in either player before. Worth a shot for a game at least. 

Moving Pearson into the third strengthens our forward group so much more. I agree we have to start spreading it out. During that bad stretch our bottom six looked dismal.  Now I’m noticing them  really start to come around.  Hoglander is ready and Virt needs the opportunity. Strategically placing Petey where we can get him away from the matchups and get him to start carrying a line.

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We haven’t had any decent 2nd round picks in 50 years.  Now Benning has already drafted 2 that can be both superstars.  But the only thing you can think of is Benning traded away some picks?  

lol holy sensitivity. I was thinking more gillis/nonis trading them away during our competitive years

• Huggy Bear 1

Just now, I.Am.Ironman said:

lol holy sensitivity. I was thinking more gillis/nonis trading them away during our competitive years

Well in all fairness, Gillis wouldn't have picked anything good if he'd kept them.  That idiot was the worst drafter in the history of the franchise.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

We play Toffoli and the Habs next 4/7 games. Pretty critical point

Yes. It is make or break time now. Obviously the Canucks were embarrassed by the last mini series against MTL and now that they're getting their swagger back you can be sure they're going to bring their A game. Will it be enough? Only time will tell.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Well in all fairness, Gillis wouldn't have picked anything good if he'd kept them.  That idiot was the worst drafter in the history of the franchise.

Probably true. Though he didn't have many high draft picks.. only the Horvat and Hodgson picks. The Horvat - Schneider trade was pretty good. Hodgson and Rodin could have been decent picks but the injury bug claimed their careers. Also... Gaunce :sick:

Play demko all the way out thus season.....win or.lose he needs the run and Holtby is done other than a few games if needed 

And review our assets and those players not part of the future - trade them now before we lose them for nothing or worse stunt their development further to the point they have no trade value.

Better effort the last 2 games but its time to accept they won't be changing the coaching so it's time to make the other minor changes to the roster now and let.this  group have some games coming together as a team so we don't fund ourselves sharting the bed for the first 25 games of the season next year 

6 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

In 2010 his entire draft class played only one game in the NHL.  And I am sure it wasn’t even for the whole game...