The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Athletic article... Sabres vs Canucks: After 50 years and No Stanley Cups, who's fans have had it worse?

Rate this topic

CanadianRugby

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

same expansion draft format as Vegas - so they 'should' have a better shot than a whole lot of teams....

when you can pluck a #4D off any/every team in the NHL....

when no tandem is safe

and you can fill an entire roster of mid to upper range forwards... (remembering that teams must protect every NMC they have / good contract or bad)....

if you can't build a competitive team with that, you have no business GMing at the NHL level.

I mean I was just kidding, but yeah expansion teams have it pretty good nowadays.

• Cheers 3

Also, nobody cares about the Buffalo Sabres in the state of NY. I worked in upstate NY/ PA for over 3 years and ran into like 3 people who knew who Crosby was. More people know who won the World Series of poker than the Stanley cup. I bet there are more Canadians who could name more current and former Sabres then anyone in Buffalo. By a mile. 

On the flip side of losing two game 7's in the SCF is the absolute beast of runs leading up to them.

Getting a chance to watch the Russian rocket, WCE, Sedin magic, etc etc. There were a lot of great hockey moments that we enjoyed on a day-to-day basis that made us fans of this team.

Yes, we started out way worse compared to Buffalo because the expansion rules were garbage and we didn't get to draft Gilbert Perrault. But look at the last 30 years and we have definitely been the better and the more exciting team.

The last bit about how the core will only have one or two years together? That was pulled out of a$$ because there's nothing really bad to say about the future of the team. "We have too many great players and they are all going to want more money wahhhh~~~"

I do lament the fact that we didn't get to see Gretzky on Canucks. Although he was on his twilight years, getting a legendary player of his magnitude, would have altered the franchise for better.

On a positive spin we’ll be re-signing Hughes and Pettersson during a flat cap where salaries will be down.

Also Pettersson is having a bit of a quieter season than many had predicted. He’s not getting the type of numbers that would warrant the 10+ million dollar contract people were throwing around.

Hughes will get a good payday since he leads the NHL in points by a defenseman but his poor underlying numbers this season should be used to get a bit of a discount.

If both are signed long term in the 8-9 million dollar range it’s hardly crippling us. After all we have more than that in dead cap alone this season.

• Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, khay said:

On the flip side of losing two game 7's in the SCF is the absolute beast of runs leading up to them.

Getting a chance to watch the Russian rocket, WCE, Sedin magic, etc etc. There were a lot of great hockey moments that we enjoyed on a day-to-day basis that made us fans of this team.

Yes, we started out way worse compared to Buffalo because the expansion rules were garbage and we didn't get to draft Gilbert Perrault. But look at the last 30 years and we have definitely been the better and the more exciting team.

The last bit about how the core will only have one or two years together? That was pulled out of a$$ because there's nothing really bad to say about the future of the team. "We have too many great players and they are all going to want more money wahhhh~~~"

I do lament the fact that we didn't get to see Gretzky on Canucks. Although he was on his twilight years, getting a legendary player of his magnitude, would have altered the franchise for better.

Messier.