The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers | March 13, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP, CBC, NHLN, TVAS2

Rate this topic

-SN-

6 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I think if Benn and Edler go then we have room for both Tryamkin and Juolevi. Rathbone can be our 8th dman, which would mean about 10-15 games.  

Makes sense given our abundance of LD, but I just wonder if they have the cojones to cut bait with Edler. 

52 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Um yes you do 

Which is like saying you never have a fight/argument with someone you love, or that they don't have a quality or two that you're not a fan of.

It's la-la-land thinking.

Edited by kanucks25

33 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

I will be disappointed if OJ doesn't make the squad as well. I thought he played well and will certainly be an upgrade on Ben. 

Personnel is part of the equation but our style of play in our own is far too passive.  Don't know if that is Green or Baumgartner but after years of surrendering the most shots and grade A scoring chances, regardless of the personnel, it needs to change.

I disagree, Ben has been playing very well for us, a real veteran presence with a Bite that OJ just doesn't have YET, but he will get better and better over time. 

You mention our style in our own end in too passive? Then Ben is a better option now than OJ, and the Coaching staff seem to agree with me

Go Canucks Go

29 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Motte-Miller-Boeser

Pearson-Bo-Jake

Hogs-Petey-Gauds

These lines could be quite effective, which one would get all of the attention from the opposition?

Somebody is going to get great line match ups, especially from a team like Edmonton.

not a fan. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Devron44 said:

The next GM - If there is one will have nothing to clean-up. In fact he would be laughing. Excellent young core. Big contracts coming off the books. Reaping the awards of expiring contract and a beauty line of young players 

Well said

2 hours ago, combover said:

Lol 

the only reason it wasn’t a blow out again is the goaltender. What a great “plan” 

So better not extend the leagues best goalie coach.

It’ll be good when the worst gm in franchise history is fired.

BDF156D7-FA25-488D-978A-A7CF39B745B4.jpeg

You must be Mike Gillis or just have something personal against JB ?

• Vintage 2

17 minutes ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

I disagree, Ben has been playing very well for us, a real veteran presence with a Bite that OJ just doesn't have YET, but he will get better and better over time. 

You mention our style in our own end in too passive? Then Ben is a better option now than OJ, and the Coaching staff seem to agree with me

Go Canucks Go

Imo, just like JM with Demko, it is time to move on from the vet(s) & give those minutes to players like OJ.  Sure Benn has been playing well but he is also playing for a contract and hopefully, JB will be able to trade some of these vets or just let them walk; if I am GM, I would only offer Edler one year contracts at a very reduced cost - still has the smarts but very slow (now) and seems to not be very good when being pressured hard (ofcourse, same can be said be said for most or our D based on the last game against the Habs & Vegas in last years playoffs).

Edited by ShawnAntoski

47 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Agree about the adds, although Rathbone could make the team also.  For me, the question is who goes.  Can we afford both of Edler and Hamonic?  All depends on what Demko, Petey and Hughes settle for, but there may not be much left after that.

well, unless there's a major cap hit move on the horizon I don't see how we keep Edler. I think it would be nice if we could go year to year with him but I don't see the space if we make a play for a UFA 3C, which we actually need even more than Edler. He's so good on the PK though the loss will sting. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

look - he's already crying to the ref mid-flight 

Honestly rewatching that play, McDavid should have been called for holding Sutter, he's gripping his arm so tight before Sutter finally drops him. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

Go Canucks Go

I thought OJ displayed a nice "edge" to his game and showed physicality. He is smart with the puck and has a much higher ceiling than Ben.  How long do you keep him on the sidelines over a bottom Pairing veteran?  

As for the passive defense it is  not the personnel, IMO, it is the system and how it collapses into a PK configuration at 5 on 5 and how easily we give up the zone.

Edited by DIBdaQUIB
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, DS4quality said:

Honestly rewatching that play, McDavid should have been called for holding Sutter, he's gripping his arm so tight before Sutter finally drops him. 

it was a chicken wing. Really a flying chicken wing, which is an impressive dive move. Maybe he really is the best ever. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it was a chicken wing. Really a flying chicken wing, which is an impressive dive move. Maybe he really is the best ever. 

Maybe he will.be the first olympian to compete for both the hockey and dive teams.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Which is like saying you never have a fight/argument with someone you love, or that they don't have a quality or two that you're not a fan of.

It's la-la-land thinking.

Thanks, you’re right. But the la-la comment is too harsh. Like all humans I get passionate about things, people and ideas I love and believe in. Yes, I see the faults in those things and in myself. Being fanatic is part of life, love and self being. 
But being over critical of those things is also unhealthy.

• Cheers 3

8 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Thanks, you’re right. But the la-la comment is too harsh. Like all humans I get passionate about things, people and ideas I love and believe in. Yes, I see the faults in those things and in myself. Being fanatic is part of life, love and self being. 
But being over critical of those things is also unhealthy.

Yes, like a lot of things in life, balance is key. ^_^

• Cheers 1