The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's your worst ever intrusive thought?

Odd.

Had a very disturbing and bizarre thought pop into my head yesterday. 

I was in this restaurant with my girlfriend and there was a family sitting across from us, however we could only see their heads because the seats blocked most of the view. 

Anyway, this little kid from the family sitting across, probably about 7 or 8, was staring at me the whole time and I could see him because in between the seats, there's a little crack where you can see the person sitting facing you from behind. And all of a sudden, I don't know where it came from, but I had this thought: what If I just went over there and completed squashed his tiny little head right infront of his family.

It startled me for some reason. I mean I've had a lot of those intrusive thoughts that everyone has subconsciously and you don't really pay much attention to them,  if at all. But for some reason I was very cognizant of this very thought and I actually talked to my girlfriend about it and she found it hilarious. 

What's your worst ever intrusive thought, im very curious lol

• Cheers 2

I've had these, and they are indeed startling.

Can't remember one off the top of my head but even if I did, probably not safe to share. :lol:

Although some people on this forum won't agree, I am trying to maintain my status as a civil member of society. :bigblush:

Edited by kanucks25
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

I've had these, and they are indeed startling.

Can't remember one off the top of my head but even if I did, probably not safe to share. :lol:

Although some people on this forum won't agree, I am trying to maintain my status as a civil member of society. :bigblush:

I think it's like a way for our brains to be like "Wow, you really could do this if you wanted to but moralzzzzz" and also like a sane check. 

As a man with testosterone, there have been times when I've seen something, thought something, and then corrected and felt shame, but neuroscience will prove that you can't prevent the first thought but can the correction, so I don't worry too much about it.

Edited by Jester13
  • Cheers 1

I don't notice them most of the time, but I used to get them pretty often when I was younger.

They'd usually revolve around family members dying. What would happen if your parents died? How would you care for your younger siblings? What if one of your parents gets into an accident with two of your sibling and they die? What if you get into a car accident driving family and you're the only one to survive?

That sort of thing. 

Mine are usually about harming others, which is something I would never do. I can't even hurt a fly. Needless to say, the thoughts are quite disturbing. Perhaps I've been watching too many crime shows and now I have these crazy thoughts pop into my mind once in a while. I guess everyone has some sort of bad thoughts at some point in their lives, but as long as they don't act on them then it should be okay. Think of positive things.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Odd. said:

Had a very disturbing and bizarre thought pop into my head yesterday. 

I was in this restaurant with my girlfriend and there was a family sitting across from us, however we could only see their heads because the seats blocked most of the view. 

Anyway, this little kid from the family sitting across, probably about 7 or 8, was staring at me the whole time and I could see him because in between the seats, there's a little crack where you can see the person sitting facing you from behind. And all of a sudden, I don't know where it came from, but I had this thought: what If I just went over there and completed squashed his tiny little head right infront of his family.

It startled me for some reason. I mean I've had a lot of those intrusive thoughts that everyone has subconsciously and you don't really pay much attention to them,  if at all. But for some reason I was very cognizant of this very thought and I actually talked to my girlfriend about it and she found it hilarious. 

What's your worst ever intrusive thought, im very curious lol

I had a terrible intrusive thought once.

It was last year in February when the Canucks lost to the Flames 6-2 at Rogers.

After the Flames scored their 6th goal, a Flames fan beside me cheered and I thought to myself, “how great would it be if I had a baseball bat in my hand so that I could swing at his head and then take a piss on him afterwards?”

• Haha 2

I had this type of thought just recently... 

I was driving and occasionally looking at my rear view mirror and notice the guy behind me making awkward hand gestures in his Jeep. 

I kept thinking he is doing these towards me because I kept pressing the brakes due to the idiot in front of me. 

I felt like getting out of my vehicle and beating him up to a pulp because his hands gestures were stressing me out. 

Long story short I did nothing. 

Edited by drummer4now

3 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I could tell you, but then I'd probably get another warning point and finally be served my walking papers from this site.  :bigblush:

I could tell you...then I would have to kill you. :ph34r:

That is pretty funny. Glad you didn't act on it, I feel like thats the difference between us and chimps.

I'm sure everyone's had the thought on the highway 'what if I just swerve in front of this incoming semi' or standing on a mountain looking down... 

These outlandish thoughts, luckily most of us don't act on them - sometimes people do, like the guy who cut the dudes head off on the Greyhound.

Humans being humans

Literally hundreds of times.

most recently the other day.  large ignorant woman at park with yapping dog.  on her phone.  tiny dog yapping away.  Dog proceeds to drop a deuce.  Woman gets up and simply moves benches.  Leaves dog poop there instead of picking it up.

Thought, wouldn't it be nice to grab that yapping pom, use it to wipe up that mess and then swing it around on that leash like a bolos and launch it at her face at speed.

I think I might be seriously disturbed

• Haha 2

I've had a number. Things like "what if I just stabbed my mom right now" even though I love her very dearly. I think if it gets really nuts, it gets to OCD levels akin to what Corey Hirsch experienced, I believe.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, GoCanucks16 said:

"what if i just turn into this semi that's coming down the highway at 100+km/h and kill everyone inside the vehicle?"

L'Appel du vide

The Call of the Void

A french term for what you're describing.  For people who look over balconies and have sudden thoughts of jumping.  Or drive and consider swerving in to oncoming traffic.

Amazing literature surrounding that thought process

• Thanks 2