The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Montreal Canadiens | March 19, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP, RDS

Rate this topic

-SN-

I’m expecting a high energy game from Canucks today, but equally high energy from Habs. Excited to see what Vesey can do and the new look of the bottom 6 with Motte and Vesey both laced up. GCG! These are the 2 most important games of the season so far.

6 hours ago, GoCanucks16 said:

why do we have the loser point again?

montreal has 8 points from losing games this season... not cool tbh

I hate the shoot-out.   It's ruined a century of goalie stats, and frequently means a less deserving team misses the playoffs due to a skills competition.   Lundqvist is a great goalie ... some might  look at his eye popping win column and must think he's one of the best ever ... thing is 61 of those wins were by shoot-out, and should just be considered in the tie column when compared to anyone pre-shootout.   Some goalies from both eras also need to have their stats adjusted like Broduer ... they should be considered ties.   Just goes to show how hard it was to get to 500 wins for Roy - and how hard 400 wins is too.   As of right now, Lundqvist would be two shy...behind Osgood, 398 - instead of 459.   Luongo would drop way done to around Sawchuk.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

6 hours ago, GoCanucks16 said:

why do we have the loser point again?

montreal has 8 points from losing games this season... not cool tbh

Because even the NHL needs participation ribbons nowadays, wouldn't want to hurt professional athlete feelings by not rewarding failure because they at least tried to succeed

• Haha 1

here's something else to think about... we have only 3 back-to-back sets left this season.

Ottawa has 4 and every other team in the north division has either 5 or 6 back to backs in a little over a month and a half. 

that's alot of very tired teams coming up.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, CrippledCanuck said:

Because even the NHL needs participation ribbons nowadays, wouldn't want to hurt professional athlete feelings by not rewarding failure because they at least tried to succeed

or maybe because no one wants to spend 3 hours watching a game only to have it end in a tie. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

here's something else to think about... we have only 3 back-to-back sets left this season.

Ottawa has 4 and every other team in the north division has either 5 or 6 back to backs in a little over a month and a half. 

You bet.   The Canucks aren't the only team that has struggled in our division - sure not like us we were terrible the first 15 games were Keenan era bad - already and the schedule now favours us at a time when a little extra rest should give teams an edge.    Thanks for bringing it up, let's hope EP comes back soon and gives the team a big boost.   Shocking really our record without him, first half BB for sure was our MVP and continues to be our most consistent and best all around forward as far as actual game play goes (hit a post late last game which would have avoided the shoot-out), Demko for sure has been our MVP so far during the second half.   Those three guys, and QHs and Horvat for sure make a great core to build around.   Hogs and OJ looking good this year .... i know playoffs are still very unlikely, but there are a lot of positives to take away from how the season has gone as far as individual play goes.   BB, Demko and Hogs leading the way.   

The last couple of games we made up for some games we should have won early on during that period where the team clicked and things fell into place.   Since then even in this very balanced and tough division (which for sure it is) we'd be at or near the top if our season started that way.    Next season with LA, SJ, ANA ... maybe Seattle hard to tell, too bad not ARI too though ... and the central teams we've played well against... and a roster that won't be any better then it is now given cap stuff ... playoffs should be an expectation.   

This year our record is already much better then it was last year against the same teams we are playing.   That shows the team had made adjustments and statistically improved.   Tonight we have the chance to be a .500 team for the first time since the start of the season.   IMO a huge game and hope they bring it.    From ownership down to TG they preaching that they won't give up.   IF we do somehow squeak in, anyone who plays us should be scared.   So far we are the top team in March in our division, as well as one of the best teams in the entire league as far as winning goes.    Also i'd expect Provost's head to explode. 

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, tas said:

or maybe because no one wants to spend 3 hours watching a game only to have it end in a tie. 

Soccer fans everywhere say that's for sure ok, and it's the most popular sport in the world.  IF there was no lockout, the shoot-out wouldn't exist.   There have been grumbling for awhile that it could be cancelled.   Don't know if Bettman will allow it as he's shown a propensity to ignore what fans like, and a stubbornness not to correct things he's done wrong (ARI, FLD and even a cup winner CAR team)....

For me at least, it's completely ridiculous.   3 x 3 OT is for sure enough, since that came in (because folks were tired of too many games being decided on shoot-outs) way more wins have occurred then 4 x 4 and 5 x 5 OT.  

Time to kill the shoot-out.   Teams STILL play for the "tie",  they thought this would stop it.   It hasn't.   Now teams just go for the gauranteed loser points instead.   There is absolutely nothing wrong with a tie.  

Edit:  There is a reason playoff hockey is the best season to watch.   Refs (at least for now ...) only call plays that actually affect the plays in a real way and let the little stuff go.  And if it's tied at the end they add periods until it's decided as team.  Not some ridiculous gimmick.   I'm glad Horvat didn't look like he gave a sh!t in the world trying to score last game in the shoot-out.   It's just stupid. 

Edited by IBatch

9 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Soccer fans everywhere say that's for sure ok, and it's the most popular sport in the world.  IF there was no lockout, the shoot-out wouldn't exist.   There have been grumbling for awhile that it could be cancelled.   Don't know if Bettman will allow it as he's shown a propensity to ignore what fans like, and a stubbornness not to correct things he's done wrong (ARI, FLD and even a cup winner CAR team)....

For me at least, it's completely ridiculous.   3 x 3 OT is for sure enough, since that came in (because folks were tired of too many games being decided on shoot-outs) way more wins have occurred then 4 x 4 and 5 x 5 OT.  

Time to kill the shoot-out.   Teams STILL play for the "tie",  they thought this would stop it.   It hasn't.   Now teams just go for the gauranteed loser points instead.   There is absolutely nothing wrong with a tie.  

How about, single 10 min 3 vs 3, and if at the end of that it's still a tie, no points for either team.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

How about, single 10 min 3 vs 3, and if at the end of that it's still a tie, no points for either team.

That would be way better.   Still prefer the old system as the loser point is part of the issue as well.   I also think folks made a big deal of nothing  - because nothing changed anyways now teams go for the guaranteed points the same way they did with ties.   

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, grumpyone said:

Good thing Canucks play down to their opponents! 

8 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Edmonton beating Winnipeg didn't help the cause today. 

I still think Edmonton is our best chance. 

We play them like 6 more times,. Have the even number of games played and back 8 points. 

That means we control our destiny still against them. 

Who knows. One injury on McDavid and that last spot is ours... 

Time to tell Erikson to sweep the leg. 

BD970354-CB30-4261-AD55-451339423449.gif

Edited by CaptKirk888
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, tas said:

I've got no problem with that, at all.

I want to watch the game of hockey not a skills comp.

I don't even like the 3 on 3 very much. It's turning into a 'keep away' passing drill.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, tas said:

you just turn your tv off when overtime ends? thats hilariously ridiculous. 

Yes it is.   I will begrudgingly admit i watch the shoot-outs ... but win or lose it always just doesn't feel the same.   Maybe if we badly outplayed them and win it feels pretty good.    But that's about it.   Loser points also changed what getting 100 points in this league used to mean.   It used to mean an incredible accomplishment.   We did it in 93 and a couple times with the WCE era teams ... outstanding.   Wonder what our 117 or so points look like by taking away any OT/Shoot-out wins - making them ties... don't know because it's not like Luongo was very good at it lol.   There was a time when 90 points was good.   Now 100 points is the new 90, and 110 points is the new 100.