The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Blackhawks trade Madison Bowey, 2021 5th-round pick to Canucks for 2021 4th-round pick

2 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

Because Benning wouldnt be able to give our 4th round pick. You know he has to give up picks when Canucks have strong drafting.

So many 4th picks turn out too..............

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1

Just now, mll said:

Likely for the expansion.  If they hadn’t added him they would have to expose one of Myers or Schmidt.  Now they can protect both.

I rather Myers actually be exposed. Also we had to give up a 4th to expose a bad Dman instead of Myers? Awesome logic lol

Just now, Me_ said:

So many 4th picks turn out too...............

The 5th round turned put to be Gaudette. Just because 4th round pick is not as sexy as 1st, doesnt mean we should give them away for free. stupid logic. 

• Cheers 1

The Canucks make it official:

Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the club has acquired defenceman Madison Bowey and a fifth-round pick in the 2021 NHL Entry Draft from the Chicago Blackhawks in exchange for a fourth-round draft pick in 2021.

Bowey, 25, has appeared in two games with the Blackhawks this season, registering one assist, as well as two games with the Rockford IceHogs in the AHL. Over parts of four seasons with Washington, Detroit, and Chicago, Bowey has collected 40 points (5-35-40) and 104 penalty minutes in 156 career NHL games.

The 6'2", 202-pound defenceman recorded career highs in games played (53), goals (3), assists (14), and points (17) last season with the Red Wings.

Bowey has also appeared in 116 career AHL games with Hershey, Grand Rapids, and Rockford, collecting 52 points (9-43-52) and 100 penalty minutes.

A native of Winnipeg, Manitoba, Bowey has represented Team Canada three times, winning gold each time, including the 2015 World Junior Hockey Championship.

Bowey was originally selected by the Chicago Blackhawks in the second round, 53rd overall, at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft.

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/canucks-acquire-madison-bowey/c-323561836

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Pick swap is basically meaningless, once you get into the success percentages on three digit numbered picks.

So, for basically the cost of a contract slot, we add a guy who can meet exposure requirements, and gain some flexibility on our protected list (don’t have to expose Myers).

And, I suppose we add a RH shot depth Dman with some “last chance” upside, as a reclamation project, on a cheap contract through next season.

But wow, Bowey’s fancy stats are really something. :sick:

Pin this please mods.

All this ^^^

2 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

I rather Myers actually be exposed. Also we had to give up a 4th to expose a bad Dman instead of Myers? Awesome logic lol

Why else would they trade for Bowie?  They must be planning for expansion. If he isn’t picked they can bury him in the AHL.

Edited by mll
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, DefCon1 said:

The 5th round turned put to be Gaudette. Just because 4th round pick is not as sexy as 1st, doesnt mean we should give them away for free. stupid logic. 

We also got a 5th back.  Difference between 4th and 5th rounders is very small.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

It's very entertaining listening to all the whining in here. Relax buds and gals, the moves may or may not work out but guess what? You can still go outside in the sun today and enjoy a beverage. Thats a win anyday! Plus more Juolevi sounds good to me now that Benn is gone. Good times ahead.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, 24K PureCool said:

For those complaining about waivers, players like Bowen are more valuable once they pass waivers as we can just put him on the taxi squad and have his cap essentially removed. If we pick someone on waivers. The player has to he on the active roaster and eat into our already capped cap.

Also a waiver pick up also would take up a spot from the kids that we should he playing for tue rest of the season. 

The question is why we had to give up a 4th? We got a 6th for Benn but we give up a 4th for a much worst defender. It doesnt add up.

1 minute ago, mll said:

Why else would they trade for Bowie?  They must be planning for expansion. If he isn’t picked they can bury him.

well, I rather expose Myers. Thats the one contract we should get rid of in order to open up more cap space. Rather have Tryamkin playing than Myers.

2 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Every day is a beautiful day. My days and my emotions don’t revolve around hockey.

Depressive and negative people do get to me I will admit, for I do not understand how merely being alive isn’t of utmost gratitude.

Getting emotional about things one cannot control is kind of a waste of time when there are so many other variables in a person’s life which are in need of attention. 

Those are actually really good coping skills. Ok I’m closing my eyes and telling myself how good it feels to be alive.

This is awesome, thanks. 

• Vintage 1