The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Blackhawks trade Madison Bowey, 2021 5th-round pick to Canucks for 2021 4th-round pick

6 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

So, which player from the Canucks would you pick if you were Seattle? 

Does your choice impact how you view the move? 

If I were seattle, I will target contracts close to or at league minimum, and among those contracts, pick the player I believe will have the best shot at being a full time NHLer. If it doesn't work, it doesn't hurt my team's cap.

I will not pick Braydon Holtby, as the goalie I would go after if I were Seattle is Jake Allen from Montreal.

56 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Gaudette and a 4th for Bowie, Highmore and a 5th? That's pretty okay I suppose. Lol. Thanks hindsight for satiating my anger. Gaudette and Bowie are pretty comparable. Defensive liabilities that have some offensive upside. 4th rounder for a flier on Highmore and a 5th round pick. All in all it's decent.

... and the ability to protect both Schmidt and Myers... which is important to some.

regards,  G.

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

If I were seattle, I will target contracts close to or at league minimum, and among those contracts, pick the player I believe will have the best shot at being a full time NHLer. If it doesn't work, it doesn't hurt my team's cap.

I will not pick Braydon Holtby, as the goalie I would go after if I were Seattle is Jake Allen from Montreal.

They have a minimum total salary they have to draft. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

They HAVE to spend a minimum of $60m. And that's after selecting some guys they will turn right around and trade out. There's certainly a place for some 'bargain' selections. But they're likely to largely select the best players they can, (largely) regardless of their cap.

They're not just going to select 15 league minimum guys and a smattering of more established guys.

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

We need to be protecting Lind.

I hope we get to see him play over the next month, and then decide on protecting Lind, Jake or Big Mac. It would be nice if we can trade Jake before the draft but that seems unlikely. 

22 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I think a lot of JB’s signings were designed to be sold off down the road... (the NTC for example always taper off) but guys like Loui and Roussel haven’t just regressed, they aren’t NHL caliber players anymore.

As long as that doesn’t happen to Myers I think a he’d be pretty enticing as a deadline acquisition, particularly with retention.

Personally, I don't think the regression guys like Roussel and Beagle have gone through are anything out of the ordinary. Roussel was what, a 28 year old coming off of a 17 point season? It was a probably a good bet that by the time he turned 31, he wouldn't have any trade value left. Same thing with Beagle, except he was producing at a slightly higher rate at a much higher age. In fact, I would say that Roussel and Beagle have probably declined at slower rate than most players. Eriksson's decline was definitely unusually fast, but even if he was producing like he was about 3 years ago, he'd still have negative value because of his contract.

If you are right, and these signings were designed as such, then I think it was misplaced optimism to think that these guys could still be trade assets a few years down the road with those contracts and at those ages. Hopefully Myers can be an anomaly and still have positive value as he enters his mid-30s at a high cap hit. 

Edited by Grape
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bang Bang Boogie said:

I was convinced this guy was going to be the next Shea Weber.  He was an absolute stud in junior and at the WJC

The year they had him, Draisaitl and Morrisey I went to 10-12 games that year and he was so dominant, I felt he would translate easily to the NHL.  Here's to hoping he can be reclaimed

1 hour ago, Chicken. said:

:frantic:

I hate JB

I love JB

I hate JB

I love JB

I hate JB

I love JB

I hate JB

I love JB

I laugh at JB

I sigh about JB

I laugh at JB

I sigh about JB

I laugh at JB

I sigh about JB

I laugh at JB

I sigh.....

• Like 1

Just now, aGENT said:

They HAVE to spend a minimum of $60m. And that's after selecting some guys they will turn right around and trade out. There's certainly a place for some 'bargain' selections. But they're likely to largely select the best players they can, (largely) regardless of their cap.

They're not just going to select 15 league minimum guys and a smattering of more established guys.

Not 60M but 60% of the cap.  They have the off-season to reach the floor.  

Seattle must choose a minimum of 20 players under contract for the 2021-22 regular season and those with an aggregate Expansion Draft value that is between 60-100 percent of the prior season's upper limit for the salary cap. 

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Not 60M but 60% of the cap.  They have the off-season to reach the floor.  

Seattle must choose a minimum of 20 players under contract for the 2021-22 regular season and those with an aggregate Expansion Draft value that is between 60-100 percent of the prior season's upper limit for the salary cap. 

Thanks. Point still stands though. 

And again, they may not need to select $60m, but they will need to eventually spend it.

Edited by aGENT

22 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

No kidding... pretty bad plan if you want to claim Vatanen to meet exposure requirements.

I wouldn't have gone with Vatanen if he had one more year on his deal, and met the draft requirements (an extra $2 million on the cap). As it is, Bowey will likely be with the Canucks next season (barring some kind of player move), on a minimal contract. The deal is better than the Nattering Nabobs of Negativism would agree.

regards,  G.

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Bowey will be in Utica to start next season. He was only acquired to meet expansion requirements and allow the Canucks to protect both Myers and Schmidt. Many on here had wanted Benning to re-sign Benn to meet that requirement but with Benn's departure he had to find a replacement and I agree this is a better option. I doubt Bowey will ever play a game for the Canucks but that allowed us to trade Benn, save cap and meet expansion draft requirements. Don't see a downside with this approach.

He might play in the 19 games in 32 nights.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Grabbing a name who no team wanted to pick up through waivers mutiple times.... with a 4th round pick. 

Ha ha... What a disappointment. 

You're missing the point, which was already discussed at length in the previous 10 pages.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2