The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Toronto Maple Leaves | April 18 | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

37 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Like, I understand people don’t like ownership or management for various reasons but this seems more than a little unfair.  I expect comments like this on Twitter where you can’t swing a dead cat without someone launching into a rant about Canuck ownership / management... but there’s a lot of assumption here to shift this moment into crapping on the organization.

Hockey culture as much or more than any sport is all about sucking it up for the team.  From the top down that’s kind of the assumption and where everyone is operating from.  That goes for players but also organizations kowtowing to the league.  It’s a pretty conformist, don’t rock the boat league. 

There’s zero evidence to say players approached management about not feeling comfortable playing.  Really, that would be an issue for the PA who have more leverage with the league than our black sheep franchise.  (Which is where it’s gone.)  

Meanwhile, medical professionals are involved in the return to play process if I’m not mistaken.  Management and yeah, even ownership are likely just going with the flow in pretty unprecedented waters here. A lot of teams have pretty rough patches this season - I’m not aware of any other player or team speaking out besides McDavid.

Full kudos to Miller for speaking his mind.  In the wake of McDavid’s comments about the game being rescheduled on the Colby Cave memorial it’s nice to see players stand up for themselves as the league pushes for all they can get.  Most people when faced by adversity look how to overcome it, strategies to get through it, or how to quit and avoid it.  Takes a pretty special individual to step up and question whether it should even be happening.

You can bet your house that if there were any rumblings about organization being upset with Miller it’d be all over social media.  So far, all I’ve seen are organizational media pushing what Miller has said.  I read his comments off of the official Canuck Twitter.  

Would that not be seen as an endorsement?  

What would have more sway - a hyper competitive player (backed by his union) making these comments or a GM or Owner? Benning could hold his breath until he’s purple and you know everyone would just laugh. I’m hoping he was focused on mobilizing the taxi squad, etc to make sure the team had subs and healthy bodies to get through the end of the year.  They were never going to change the schedule for him.

Well said.  The last player we had to call the league out was Burr and we've been treated to Kelly Sutherland rigging our games ever since.  What Miller did took balls, especially since the league's misconduct has made it very clear that player safety is not a priority.  Benning would have been focused mostly on the trade deadline, although he's never struck me as someone who'll publicly expose the NHL's corruption like Burkie would.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

This is right from their COVID return to play guidelines:

Hmmm

Attachment B, Section 2 is also an interesting read:

https://media.nhl.com/site/asset/public/ext/2020-21/2020-21TransitionRulesCriticalDates.pdf

Basically says that if a player feels the conditions under which the NHL is operating for 2020-21 are unsafe and an unacceptable risk to his family, he can opt out at any time, with no penalty, other than forfeiting the remaining salary payments for this season (but he keeps what he’s earned until then, and his contact remains intact).

The player has to allow the league and the club to attempt to make accommodations and adjustments to correct the situation, but if the player remains unsatisfied, and feels that the COVID-19 risk isn’t acceptable, he has the final decision, and can opt out at any time, without penalty.

I’d imagine at this point, with an entire team getting sick, despite following the league’s protocols (at least for most of them), any Canuck could easily assert that the system is broken, the risk is too high to his family, and he’s pulling the plug on his season.

Not that I’d expect any Canuck would actually do this, but every one of them definitely has a “nuclear option” at their disposal, to unilaterally cancel their individual 2020-21 season, at any time, without facing any form of discipline or penalty (other than losing remaining salary payments for this year).

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Agree with JT health and safety concerns, no games, 1 practice, 90% of the team in covid protocol in what 3 or 4 weeks, that would be difficult even with a fully healthy  bunch of athletes, let alone ones who whatever % of those had covid and have lingering after effects ie lowered stamina, strength, muscle tone, lung capacity etc etc , I would bet money are most are not going to be in playing shape. Besides that the absolute $&!# condensed schedule raises the risks for injury, then the NHL and team would be up $&!# creek. Was the revamped schedule made in consultation with the team ? If not and it was forced and major injuries happen the optics won't look good for the NHL organization. If by some huge miracle the canucks play out of their minds and other teams above fall, the canucks make the playoffs, They'll be at a huge disadvantage going in fatigue wise...I'll support them but I also understand their concerns and protests. 

Edited by CrippledCanuck

2 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Attachment B, Section 2 is also an interesting read:

https://media.nhl.com/site/asset/public/ext/2020-21/2020-21TransitionRulesCriticalDates.pdf

Basically says that if a player feels the conditions under which the NHL is operating for 2020-21 are unsafe and an unacceptable risk to his family, he can opt out at any time, with no penalty, other than forfeiting the remaining salary payments for this season (but he keeps what he’s earned until then, and his contact remains intact).

The player has to allow the league and the club to attempt to make accommodations and adjustments to correct the situation, but if the player remains unsatisfied, and feels that the COVID-19 risk isn’t acceptable, he has the final decision, and can opt out at any time, without penalty.

I’d imagine at this point, with an entire team getting sick, despite following the league’s protocols (at least for most of them), any Canuck could easily assert that the system is broken, the risk is too high to his family, and he’s pulling the plug on his season.

Not that I’d expect any Canuck would actually do this, but every one of them definitely has a “nuclear option” at their disposal, to unilaterally cancel their individual 2020-21 season, at any time, without facing any form of discipline or penalty (other than losing remaining salary payments for this year).

I wouldn't hold it against any of our guys if they used that option.  I'm sure Hamonic is a pretty good resource for the guys as to what that process feels like.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

3 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

No, they can refuse to play if they wish but do you really think any doctor will clear them if they’re not ready to go? No one here knows how they feel or how they’ve been affected so let’s stop with the doom and gloom and leave it up to the pros. I can’t wait for game day.

Agreed. Every player knew this was a potential scenario and by all accounts, the issue seems to be more with rust vs lingering symptoms. They should just dumb down the game and trap the crap out of the Oilers. 

The Devils Sabres and Stars all had similar situations and they came back and played.

I mean it sucks but not playing reminds me of that kid we all played street hockey with who owned a net and would sulk and take it away.

I get where JT is coming from but I wish he wouldn't have come out and said that, I feel like thinking that is fine but outwards he should have just said were gonna go out and keep it simple till we get our legs back. Not trying to start a whole thing just don't recall other team's saying things publicly.

Keep in mind as well that because of one of our players getting Covid, teams like the Oilers and flames had their schedules affected in a negative way. As long as they are medically cleared players just gotta bite the bullet as much as it sucks.

And hey if we win that's a hell of a confidence boost.

• RoughGame 1

Miller speaking it as it is.

The Canucks had the Brazilian variant which is supposed to very exceptionally hard the the age group that these young men are in. Maybe a guy isn't contagious but he could still be very far from full health.

I am a lifelong Canuck fan who has lived the ups and downs of this team. The tight thing to do is to pull the plug on the season because I do not want to see these guys put a a brave face and try to play when they are not ready and then suffer more serious consequences or injury.

Edited by GarthButcher5
  • Huggy Bear 2

1 minute ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Agreed. Every player knew this was a potential scenario and by all accounts, the issue seems to be more with rust vs lingering symptoms. They should just dumb down the game and trap the crap out of the Oilers. 

The Devils Sabres and Stars all had similar situations and they came back and played.

I mean it sucks but not playing reminds me of that kid we all played street hockey with who owned a net and would sulk and take it away.

I get where JT is coming from but I wish he wouldn't have come out and said that, I feel like thinking that is fine but outwards he should have just said were gonna go out and keep it simple till we get our legs back. Not trying to start a whole thing just don't recall other team's saying things publicly.

Keep in mind as well that because of one of our players getting Covid, teams like the Oilers and flames had their schedules affected in a negative way. As long as they are medically cleared players just gotta bite the bullet as much as it sucks.

And hey if we win that's a hell of a confidence boost.

there are definately lingering symptoms. Sutter was excessively sick and Hughes had to have iv and lost weight. There are likely more...

• Vintage 1

Just now, GarthButcher5 said:

there are definately lingering symptoms. Sutter was excessively sick and Hughes had to have iv and lost weight. There are likely more...

Then they don't have to play. Just like any injuries simple as that.

My point is as a team the Nucks unless they can't ice a full lineup should play. It sucks but if this was the Oilers we would all be saying replace the ones still I'll with the extras that were assembled for just this reason,  everyone knew this could happen and several team's had to ice crappy teams it is what it is.

The ironic thing is a bunch of people here were advocating to let the kids play but now that it's happening tunes have changed.

31 minutes ago, luckylager said:

I'm so disengaged rn. Honestly haven't been thjns apathetic about the Canucks since like 2014.

I felt that way when SCTV when off the air.

6 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

It's me.. not this way.... not this way.....

Horvat responds:

• Haha 1