The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tokyo Olympics

-DLC-

On 8/2/2021 at 1:10 PM, oldnews said:

same. 

I had to laught today - that penalty call - was....weak.  Right on the border of the box - didn't exactly prevent a scoring chance....

That's the problem with soccer - anything inside that arbitrary box / line - and it's what can be an extremely disproportionate penalty - a penalty shot...that alone is capable of ruining a lot of games.

The other thing I hate about the rules of the game - offside.   Nothing more ludicrous than watching defenders advance, to leave attackers behind them, to trap them offside.  11 players on the field - 22 in total - if you can't get back....you deserve to get beaten.  I'd mitigate that by saying, in the absence of the offside rule, you wouldn't want teams parking a forward 30 meters behind the play cherry picking - but as it is, it's absurdly restrictive, and limits far too much offense in a game that needs more excitement/entertainment value - goal scoring....my 2c.

could you even imagine using the soccer rendition of offside in ice hockey?

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

the Olympics REALLY need so set an age restriction...12 yr olds competing? ridiculous

Why?

Hey, if they have the focus and maturity to compete at this level...all the power to them.  Sky's the limit.

14 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Why?

Hey, if they have the focus and maturity to compete at this level...all the power to them.  Sky's the limit.

sorry, it's just MY opinion. but then again I am against ALL 'sports' that require judges to determine the winner. I totally against these so called 'sports' like artistic gymnastics, diving, skateboarding, trampoline etc. too many judges' votes are bought out. 

and since I'm ranting, I thought the Russians were banned from competition because of their widespread doping in Sochi and yet they are winning dozens of medals. Make up your mind Olympic committee. 

• Cheers 3

I'm loving watching the the decathlon and heptathlon (and the Canadian strength in these events)  - used to throw javelin, high jump. long jump, (and run relays and triple jump which aren't part of decathlon) - never had a chance to try decathlon but it looks like the ultimate individual challenge - which must have some really interesting approaches (and developments) to cross-training for these events.

Damian Warner is one of the most impressive athletes in these games for me.  He probably could have taken home a handful of medals in various events - but chooses to focus on decathlon - just incredible at a range of events.

I'm also loving Hassan - what heart she has - when she won that 1500 after getting tripped - blew me away - and then to see her continue to completely tear up the track - she's amazing.

Was sad to see Melissa Humana-Paredes eliminated - such an amazing player - (and a real sweetie).

Watching Sinclair having passed the torch to Fleming - in tears - after that victory vs the USA - was just priceless.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

On 8/2/2021 at 5:45 PM, AV's Coin said:

We are still beating them :towel:... here is a game between Trinity Western and LBSU the defending NCAA champs. Admittedly LBSU was not the same team after graduating TJ DeFalco, Ensing and Tuaniga each of whom play for the USA national team now (two of them in the Olympics).

That's good to know.  it doesn't seem to necessarily translate at the national level, but there are so many good teams around the world....

I thought the game might expand more eventually in the USA - but looks like it's still dominated primarily by the California schools - a few champions from Loyola (Chicago), Ohio over the years - and Penn State with a few championships as well (actually, they were the best American team we played imo - the only one we lost to - they had Javier Caspar, an unreal setter imo at the time - and a good balance of power, and size down the middle (I thought they'd win a championship sooner, but did eventually in 1994...)

9 hours ago, -DLC- said:

Why?

One thing that makes me upset with all these youth in the Olympics is how some countries basically use these kids as political tools, especially in things like Gymnastics where younger people are just better. They decide a child will be an Olympic athlete for them through their scouting and control their life. It's really &^@#ed up.

Obviously not the case for the current discussion around skateboarders, but it might be the case in the future if some countries want to dominate that field for medals and prestige.

Edited by Kurgom
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Jaimito said:

De Grasse another amazing run.  

Carl Lewis comments on US, Clown Show:

"9 time gold medal winner Carl Lewis had a few thoughts on the matter. "

Drug cheater says what?

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Just caught the end of this...at the end of his race, where he battled, hard, to pass guys and give himself a great finish.

Amazing!   So awesome....this is a really tough grind and a huge accomplishment!

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Just caught the end of this...at the end of his race, where he battled, hard, to pass guys and give himself a great finish.

Amazing!   So awesome....this is a really tough grind and a huge accomplishment!

any decathlete, is high on my list of potential leaders, during the zombie apocalypse.

Well done Damian.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

12 hours ago, coho8888 said:

We qualified for the men’s 4x100!

The Americans didn’t!

Damn, I missed it.  I see it was on at 7:40 pm...went for a walk and when I got back to Dad's he had Jeopardy on.  D'oh!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Bummed I missed the 10000m. I didn't hear a thing about it - and it's been 5/6 days since it was run.

On a side note, does the CCP take kids right from the womb and stick them in a diving camp until they're of age for the Olympics? A 14 and 15 year old girl smoked the competition in the high dive competition - it wasn't even close. The first place girl podiumed without even needing to do a final dive and had perfect or near perfect scores most of her dives (over 460 points total).