The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Coming Back or No?

Rate this topic

40 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its interesting that the same people who really hate Myers on this board are also the least interested in Nik. I'll be thrilled to have him back, he's got Byfugliens size and strength. Not the scoring ability but that's fine, we don't need that out of him. 

Hate the contract and the opportunity cost of that contract. But don't hate the player. 

In any event, I hope Nikita comes back, but see how the cap landscape looks after we sign Hughes and Petey. 

5 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Hate the contract and the opportunity cost of that contract. But don't hate the player. 

In any event, I hope Nikita comes back, but see how the cap landscape looks after we sign Hughes and Petey. 

I suspect he'll be signed pretty soon, I don't know that we get Petey and Hughes signed before then but you never know. I don't think Nik's deal will be that large that we need to worry, I can't see it being much over 2.5 aav if even that high. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I suspect he'll be signed pretty soon, I don't know that we get Petey and Hughes signed before then but you never know. I don't think Nik's deal will be that large that we need to worry, I can't see it being much over 2.5 aav if even that high. 

Agreed, Even a rookie deal of $925k with performance bonuses would be an upgrade on what he's probably signed on for right now.

I don't think he's worth $2.5 mil but he's a good gamble. Maybe a one year prove it deal. And also, should address his feelings towards playing in the AHL, that was a sticking point with him. But it would be nice to start building an environment for Russians here with Podz coming in.

13 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Agreed, Even a rookie deal of $925k with performance bonuses would be an upgrade on what he's probably signed on for right now.

I don't think he's worth $2.5 mil but he's a good gamble. Maybe a one year prove it deal. And also, should address his feelings towards playing in the AHL, that was a sticking point with him. But it would be nice to start building an environment for Russians here with Podz coming in.

I'd go that high if he was willing to eat into his UFA years, say 4 year deal, 10 mil total value. Something like that. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

Mr Diamond only said at the beginning of the interview that NT would like to come back to the' NHL', he worded it specifically so he didnt say the Canucks.

Sounds like their patience is wearing thin.

Then he said how NT was planning on coming to Van for the summer to work with the coaching staff to get ready for the season.

To me, it seemed like Diamond was confirming what many of us thought......that NT was not mature enough to handle being in the NHL at that point in his career.  He really should have been willing to take the AHL development route.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, tas said:

tryamkin, a borderline nhl player at best, is going to step in at age 27 and dominate the league until he's 42 like a first ballot hall of famer?

You're right, with his mobility he'll probly be better than Chara ever was.

1 hour ago, xereau said:

The agent's clearly trying to pump the tires of his client, but Nik passed my personal eye test with flying colors.

He's a unique talent, and I want to see him given another shot.

His style is sometimes a bit unorthodox, which can be a positive at times as players are constantly drilled non-stop on specific plays.

One situation that really stood out for me was when he was defending a 2 on 1... and instead of skating backwards and maybe going down to block the pass, he just immediately charged the puck carrier.... and that attacking player just immediately froze for a split second as he went against conventional tactics.  Good or bad, it did work.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DSVII said:

Someone posted the breakdown on the tryamkin thread but if I remember correctly for him to have the same take home with tax and escrow etc he would need a minimum of 1.5. Also is he eligible for performance bonuses

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

Someone posted the breakdown on the tryamkin thread but if I remember correctly for him to have the same take home with tax and escrow etc he would need a minimum of 1.5. Also is he eligible for performance bonuses

Which fits right in with my guess at +/- $2m depending on term. Shorter term, closer to $1.5m. Longer term, closer to $2.5m