The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Ottawa Senators l April 26, 4 p.m. l TSN5, SNP

Rate this topic

-DLC-

Just now, guntrix said:

Surely Vesey has more in the tank, no? Dude has been an outright anchor on his line. 

Vesey has been so soft and is usually the one that kills plays. I think its time to play Lind and scratch vesey

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Players like Brown, Paul, Dadonov, Batherson, Norris, exc are much better than Vesey, Boyd, Virtanen, Highmore, exc.

Hoglander hit a post, Horvat almost had one squeak through. With some luck could've been a different outcome. 

When you have the best 2 players in the league...

We want to rely on luck, going forward? 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Yada yada yada u still lost to a bad team. 

they are  young and up and coming tram played well last 15 games  but canucks are to little to late this yr  time ti play the youth see wat they can do   rathbone  lind gaz jasek should all get looks 

4 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Dreadful game, we played well in the first 5 minutes and last 8 minutes but apart from that were the worse team by a long way. I know the commentators were talking about how it looks like we're fatigued but I disagree - we poured it on in the final minutes so always had something in the tank. All game, our passes were off and that's what lead to odd-man rushes and takeaways, not our skating. I thought we skated and battled hard but we couldn't string 2 passes together.

Miller looked like he was on a mission tonight, Boeser was pretty invisible and Vesey was waived for good reason. Glad to see Lind get called up, you've got to think that's where he's going. I liked the move to get Motte up on the top line but I wanted it from the get-go.

Bo and Hoglander had some nice chances and should have scored 2-3 goals tonight but got a bit unlucky in all fairness. Pearson really didn't do very much at all.

The bottom-6 is where it gets interesting. I thought Highmore was fantastic for what he's worth, a very smart stick that broke up a lot of plays but not much else. Vesey was dreadful, just sloppy defensive play and couldn't cash in on some great opportunities. Hawryluk had a strong game for the time he got. Sutter had a solid, safe game by his standards. Virtanen was invisible apart from a gimmick fight and absolutely no idea why Green trusts him in the final minutes to be on the ice.

On defence I thought we actually played pretty well, limited shots and chances apart from 2 absolutely bone-headed plays by Schmidt which we're sadly coming to expect. Edler was a rock on the ice, rarely lost a puck battle. I'm most impressed by Hughes to be honest, he was dreadful before the Covid break defensively and has come back playing like his rookie season-self on the defensive side - smart poke checks and using his body smartly. If there's one positive to take away, it's that Hughes' defensive game is back and he's much more of a respectable player when he's defending well. Shame he couldn't get any pucks through in the final minutes. Hamonic had a strong game apart from the brain-fart at the end as well with some nice slap shots through, and Myers was stable as always. Juolevi though was IMO our best defenceman, not just for the goal but he uses his body well defensively and plays a heavy game which we need. This kid has to play the rest of our games, he racked up 15 minutes tonight and deserves around that each night for the rest of the year.

Of course Holtby made some rediculous saves and the only goals against were just a product of pathetic team defence so can't blame him, he's still playing hot.

On the whole, not sure what it is but this sloppy passing really let us down and some stupid plays at our own offensive blueline which lead to chances/goals against was sadly reminiscent of our early-season struggles. The playoffs pretty much got washed away tonight, of course anything is possible but I think Green needs to work in some practices to get that passing stronger if we've got any chance. They didn't look fatigued to me the way they did against Vegas in the playoffs, they just looked sloppy which is much more concerning.

You're bang on...  only thing that I would add is that to me they did indeed look tired.  They were always half a step behind in battles for pucks and even though the first forechecker was in there on time, the second forechecker would often be just late enough to let Ottawa get out of their zone.  Hughes got beat down the ice to give up a breakaway at the end, and you will almost never see that.  

I saw a team that was giving it their all but didn't have anything left in the gas tank.  

Anyways I enjoyed seeing Motte playing up the lineup.  Highmore as you said is very good at getting in on the forecheck and winning puck battles.  Haven't seen any offensive skill from him at all, and I'm not expecting it to magically appear but he's been the best out of the bunch on the bottom 6 other then Sutter. 

Anyways I enjoy reading your reviews after the game, cheers 

Vesey's audition has been a bust.

Would love to see Lind or Gadj get a couple looks.

Of course that's a bridge too far cuz guys like Vesey have played in the league and so in Green's mind they give us a better chance to win. Ok up until now - but seriously going forward let's stop. The guy was flushed by TO and was given a great chance here and showed nothing.  0 points.

Would Brindamour or Gallant have the same take? That's  really the question.

Green reminds me of Willy with Vey.  Play the plugs who have 40 - 80 games in the league over up and coming guys because the unproven guys  can make you look bad as a coach.

Experienced coaches have learned that lesson and moved past it.

• Like 2
  • RoughGame 1

1 minute ago, DefCon1 said:

The fact that we still rely on guys like Edler and Sutter shows just how shallow this team is. No depth to push the older vets aside.

True.  It’s like the Nucks are the lone rep from the senior league playing in the major league.

6 minutes ago, appleboy said:

14 games to play in 22 nights.

5 back to backs.

We think they looked tired tonight.  You ain't seen nothing yet.

This.

Especially down the stretch drive when every team comes to play getting reved up for a playoff run..

No easy games and our schedule is horrible..

Yet another dog game. Had it not been Holtby it would have been a blowout 

yet people still talk about extending Green

the coaching has us figured out. They know our pathetic system and they get to our passes before we do 

Green’s cult will never find any fault 

tonight’s excuse .... bad bounces?

3 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

Anyone know what time the “tank train” gonna roll by?? I might just hop on...

I've been jumping on it for months now but the team keeps pushing me off like sadistic torture. Like a cat playing with a mouse until the dog arrives.

• Haha 1