The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Honest Conversation With Those Who Still Support Management

Rate this topic

JohnTavares

1 minute ago, JohnTavares said:

The point of a rebuilding team is to continually have a strong prospect pool in order to insert ELC talents in the lineup.

Even with the prospects that have "graduated" to the NHL, the pool is not strong.

Lind, Gadjovich, Rathbone, DiPietro, Lockwood, Jurmo, Podkolzin, Woo....

There are only two above average prospects on that list (Pods and Rathbone).

Tell me what this new thread offers that is any different than every other thread about Jim Benning. Why did you start it? Not enough places to get your feelings out?

Anyone who offers any explanation for the grievances offered here are called nut huggerz or something else. Here’s a new one you can use, Jimhovah Witnesses. Very few of us blindly back JB or support every move he makes but just because we don’t join you in screaming for his head this is the chorus that you sing.  

FA will decide, not you or I.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

We are inserting ELC talent into the lineup, which team are you following?

If all of our 1st and 2nd round picks are graduating what’s the issue?

We had no first last draft because we got Miller, that’s why our pool looks weaker. And magically after this upcoming draft it will be strong again. Amazing how that works eh?

Our pool is not going to be strong again because of one draft. That's not really how it works.

The graduating talent isn't necessarily good outside of Rathbone. Quality matters.

1 minute ago, 4petesake said:

Tell me what this new thread offers that is any different than every other thread about Jim Benning. Why did you start it? Not enough places to get your feelings out?

Anyone who offers any explanation for the grievances offered here are called nut huggerz or something else. Here’s a new one you can use, Jimhovah Witnesses. Very few of us blindly back JB or support every move he makes but just because we don’t join you in screaming for his head this is the chorus that you sing.  

FA will decide, not you or I.

I'm trying to have an honest discussion. There have been very few people in this thread that have been able to put any honest conversation whatsoever.

The Benning shills can't even recognize or take accountability for JB's mistakes. 

It's hard to have an honest discussion when you can't compromise.

Just now, JohnTavares said:

Our pool is not going to be strong again because of one draft. That's not really how it works.

The graduating talent isn't necessarily good outside of Rathbone. Quality matters.

Actually that is how it works.

Teams rarely have a strong pool for more than a couple years because prospects graduate.

One draft will potentially give us three high end players.

5 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Loui wasn't avoidable because of the twins but many of the later contracts could gave been filled with cheapest possible and prospects.

I rather pay bonus to our prospects instead of overpaying ufas. 

Disagree he wasn't avoidable his contract was signed for longer than the sedins were expected to play. Sedans were already aging players when he was signed to a six year deal. We already knew this team was in decline. 

The others were stop gap signings attempting to carry us through and give some vet leadership to younger players coming up.

Which prospects are you referring to? We had literally nobody the cupboards were bare. ???

13 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Exactly. The parallels to the Oilers $&!#stain years everyone here mocks is undeniable actually.

How are we at all the same?  

Is Bo supposed to be Taylor Hall?

Who would Pettersson be?  Nugent-Hopkins? 

40 minutes ago, JohnTavares said:

Yeah we're better off with Travis Boyd and Jimmy Vesey.

Boyd and Vesey are just cost effective stop gap fillers for a team decimated by Covid and facing a brutal schedule and a lot of injuries. Highly unlikely they will be back next year.

Just now, ilduce39 said:

How are we at all the same?  

Is Bo supposed to be Taylor Hall?

Who would Pettersson be?  Nugent-Hopkins? 

The thing everyone says to defend a string of horrible veteran contracts given out by Benning is that we needed them to not become the Oilers.

That revisionist history, while entertaining, is delusional. One of the Oilers problems were they rushed young guys into top roles for sure.

But the one everyone around here conveniently forgets is they signed and acquired a lot of "mentor vets" too. And they were largely pretty average to garbage players. Same as the Canucks have done really.

Anyone who makes fun of the Oilers inept rebuild plan should hate the Benning plan. Other than obviously drafting a bunch of 1st overalls, Benning has built the rest of the roster exactly the same way the Oilers did.

8 minutes ago, JohnTavares said:

The Benning shills can't even recognize or take accountability for JB's mistakes. 

It's hard to have an honest discussion when you can't compromise.

That you post this is hilarious. Most of the CDC'ers on here do admit that JB has made some mistakes. Most GM's have made mistakes during their tenure. Many of us have mixed feelings about JB's overall performance but your constant drone of only the negatives without any acknowledgement of the positive things he has done is giving off a real bad smell. HMM... Smells like a troll to me

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The thing everyone says to defend a string of horrible veteran contracts given out by Benning is that we needed them to not become the Oilers.

That revisionist history, while entertaining, is delusional. One of the Oilers problems were they rushed young guys into top roles for sure.

But the one everyone around here conveniently forgets is they signed and acquired a lot of "mentor vets" too. And they were largely pretty average to garbage players. Same as the Canucks have done really.

Anyone who makes fun of the Oilers inept rebuild plan should hate the Benning plan. Other than obviously drafting a bunch of 1st overalls, Benning has built the rest of the roster exactly the same way the Oilers did.

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/andrew-ference-rips-terrible-practice-habits-party-atmosphere-of-2013-15-edmonton-oilers

There’s a Ference interview on the Oilers.. I don’t see our group as having any of those issues outside of maybe Jakey - who has always been a bit of a black sheep on this team. 

I just don’t see the parallels - and for good or ill JB saturated the team with leadership type guys - he didn’t just parachute in one or two.

7 minutes ago, JohnTavares said:

Jim Benning did not whiff on Juolevi and Virtanen?

If this isn't Benning shilling, I don't know what isn't.

Those are good picks, nobody knew Ollie was getting injured.

a 20 minute d man is more important than a 20 minute winger, so I'd have passed on Matt.

Virtanen has played over 317 games 55 g and 45 assists for 100 points in the hardest league in the world, so nope not a miss there. Michael Dal Colle at  5, is a miss. 111 games 8g 13 assists for 21 points.

7 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

That you post this is hilarious. Most of the CDC'ers on here do admit that JB has made some mistakes. Most GM's have made mistakes during their tenure. Many of us have mixed feelings about JB's overall performance but your constant drone of only the negatives without any acknowledgement of the positive things he has done is giving off a real bad smell. HMM... Smells like a troll to me

Yeah no, see how this doesn't add up.

Exhibit A below.

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

Those are good picks, nobody knew Ollie was getting injured.

a 20 minute d man is more important than a 20 minute winger, so I'd have passed on Matt.

Virtanen has played over 317 games 55 g and 45 assists for 100 points in the hardest league in the world, so nope not a miss there. Michael Dal Colle at  5, is a miss. 111 games 8g 13 assists for 21 points.

41 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I could see getting Lou Lam as our President as a really good move.  He’s a proven winner.  But he’s with the Islanders now, and made them great.  Any team letting him get away would be just stupid.  

Yeah, him and JB - will be a very front office for sure and I wonder who will leave first but it might work (?).

13 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

Disagree he wasn't avoidable his contract was signed for longer than the sedins were expected to play. Sedans were already aging players when he was signed to a six year deal. We already knew this team was in decline. 

The others were stop gap signings attempting to carry us through and give some vet leadership to younger players coming up.

Which prospects are you referring to? We had literally nobody the cupboards were bare. ???

The years since Petey came in we had a lot of prospect we could have tried. 

But as I learnt Benning spend to the cap max and can't let up prospect because he can't pay the bonus money.

Bailey, Boucher, MacEwan, Lind, Sautner, Brisebois, Woo, Chatfield, Rafferty and a few others could have played a lot more games before this season if Benning didn't fill the team with oldies. The best way to check out wich players that can handle NHL is to let them meet best possible players.  Not keep them in AHL.

Then let players like Goldobin, Baertschi, Eriksson play out their contracts without take in other players. 

That would have forced Green to use his players in a better way instead of forcing the players into what Green wants. 

1 hour ago, stawns said:

technically, they got to round 3 last year.  

I’ll have to disagree here. 

That first round against Minnesota was technically the regular season since the league was trying to acknowledge the fact that the teams in the play-ins weren’t lock to make the playoffs during the regular season pre Covid.

1 hour ago, JohnTavares said:

And it turned out to be a huge bust.

Nobody can claim JB as this exceptional draft guru when he whiffed on TWO top six picks.

OJ still has lots of time to develop into a good hockey player.  To put things into perspective, he’s only 6 months older than Cale Makar.