The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jim Benning to return for next season

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, gurn said:

Can you actually quote any body, other than Apollo that has stated J.B. has done a "great job"?

Well you got me.

I don’t hunt through posts looking for that exact term so maybe I exaggerated. Let’s go with “doing a Good Job “ which is still false. 

Edited by combover
  • RoughGame 1

I seriously don't mid the Canucks sucking for 2 more years.  I'm sure the Oilers were among the teams that deliberately sucked with the hopes of drafting McDavid.  There's another Generational Connor coming up in 2 years.  If we get him, it will be worth it.

25 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Not tendering them offers =\= not talking to his UFA's.

OEL would have been part of the attempting to improve/not remain static. You nor I have any idea what was going back to Arizona to even critique any potential deal.

I thought you were going to stop calling people 'bud', pal?:P

Oops lol hard habit to break.

OEL at his contract is not an actual improvement though. He is just a cap anchor.

Both Toffoli and Tanev stated that they had very little if any talks with Benning regarding their potential future with the team. But we are supposed to not believe them, right?

Telling players to wait until you use up all your cap hoping you can clear some is a clear message to those players to get what they can elsewhere.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

19 hours ago, BPA said:

The owner pays the bills and should at least agree of some of the decisions.  But come on...getting Torts was a bad idea.  Wasn't it FA idea to get him?  That's what I mean about meddling owner.

If FA was doing this as a charity then go to it, but he expects others to actually financially pay the bills, in which case i don't think he gets exclusive rights to do what HE wishes with other peoples money. There's a reasonable expectation that he put the product in the best ahnds to achieve success. He's not doing that and so I don't have a lot of sympathy if the fans stay away

49 minutes ago, combover said:

Well you got me.

I don’t hunt through posts looking for that exact term so maybe I exaggerated. Let’s go with “doing a Good Job “ which is still false. 

That's what I thought. 

Strawmen are cool, till people notice you building them.

• Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

OEL at his contract is not an actual improvement though. He is just a cap anchor.

You nor I know the potential trade conditions.... zero ability to judge.

Both Toffoli and Tanev stated that they had very little if any talks with Benning regarding their potential future with the team. But we are supposed to not believe them, right?

Who's saying not to believe them? Those of us not living in a black and white world full of anti-Benning bias can see a boring, non melodramatic reality where management had simple, brief discussions with their representation about being patient while they sort out a few things. You get that it's entirely possible for both things to happen, right?

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, gurn said:

That's what I thought. 

Strawmen are cool, till people notice you building them.

Lol .

right, I guess I could waste my time checking for any exaggeration to others posts but I understand most people add a bit of salt to their fries . 
But hey gold star to you. Oops I mean silver. Wouldn’t want to exaggerate. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

You nor I know the potential trade conditions.... zero ability to judge.

Who's saying not to believe them? Those of us not living in a black and white world full of anti-Benning bias can see a boring, non melodramatic reality where management had simple, brief discussions with their representation about being patient while they sort out a few things. You get that it's entirely possible for both things to happen, right?

There are no possible trade conditions where getting OEL at that contract for that long would be a benefit to the team at this stage.

Even if they retained 50% and took Eriksson and nothing else it still amounts to adding a declining player on a long term contract for a declining player who is only here two more years at that time (thankfully).

Is OEL the answer to pair with Hughes? Nope. And the only money spent on D should be focused on addressing that need first. Hamonic is not the answer there obviously. Good dman if cheap enough but not a long term solution. OEL would be worse there.

• Huggy Bear 1

42 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

There are no possible trade conditions where getting OEL at that contract for that long would be a benefit to the team at this stage.

Even if they retained 50% and took Eriksson and nothing else it still amounts to adding a declining player on a long term contract for a declining player who is only here two more years at that time (thankfully).

Disagree. 

42 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Is OEL the answer to pair with Hughes? Nope. And the only money spent on D should be focused on addressing that need first. Hamonic is not the answer there obviously. Good dman if cheap enough but not a long term solution. OEL would be worse there.

Potentially.

I think Hamonic can certainly be a stop gap 'answer' until a more permanent one can be found (and probably the lowest commitment). I'd also consider Savard or Larsson there as options.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Disagree. 

Potentially.

I think Hamonic can certainly be a stop gap 'answer' until a more permanent one can be found (and probably the lowest commitment). I'd also consider Savard or Larsson there as options.

So, to you, what would a deal (or likely multiple deals to make dverything work) for OEL that makes sense for the Canucks in terms of assets given up, cap hit rearranged to fit him, and roster wise look like?

And where do you another left handed D fitting into our defense?

Both those guys it would really depend on the contract though imo. 

Edited by wallstreetamigo

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

So, to you, what would a deal (or likely multiple deals to make dverything work) for OEL that makes sense for the Canucks in terms of assets given up, cap hit rearranged to fit him, and roster wise look like?

Both those guys it would really depend on the contract though imo. 

Not sure what point there is in a speculative, fantasy trade offer.

As you point out given is contract etc, he's not some highly in demand piece. If ARZ wanted out from even part of it, it's not likely we were offering up Podkolzin, Rathbone and a first in return. Salary would have been going back and/or retained. Use your 50% suggestion of you want. $4m OEL at a buy low trade price is easily something I'd hope we'd look at and could have been a good fit here.

I'm not upset we got Schmidt instead though. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, sassbs said:

Flame on:  benning will still be fired.   Watch and see.   Quote me ! 

Wow what a statement what a quote... after winning the Stanley Cup in 2023-24 the Canucks part ways with Jim Benning as GM and hire Bob the Dog to run the team in 2025. My point being is yeah eventually he will get fired or moved on from. This forum is getting ridiculous. 

• Haha 2

Just now, aGENT said:

Not sure what point there is in a speculative, fantasy trade offer.

As you point out given is contract etc, he's not some highly in demand piece. If ARZ wanted out from even part of it, it's not likely we were offering up Podkolzin, Rathbone and a first in return. Salary would have been going back and/or retained. Use your 50% suggestion of you want. $4m OEL at a buy low trade price is easily something I'd hope we'd look at and could have been a good fit here.

I'm not upset we got Schmidt instead though. 

First, there is zero chance Arizona was going to retain 50% every year for the remainder of his long term contract. 

Having said that, OEL at 4 million per for that long is still a huge risk cap wise. The term relative to his age - and his fit on our roster too - is the issue.

We have no players that I would cap dump at that point to take on OEL. Not even Eriksson. Simply because its trading for a longer term risk.

My point is why did Benning even waste that much time trying to make OEL happen at all? He gets out his little wall chart and myopically focuses on the player he wants rather than all the other important factors in acquiring them. Thats my main beef with Benning. He shows little regard for the long term cap impact.

He is like the mounties. Always gets his man. Even when he gets bent over in a trade of on a contract to do it.

I am hoping he will not do the same things this summer. EP, Hughes, and Ian Clark need to be his main focus until they are signed. And to give himself a chance he might want to get that done sooner rather than later. 

I would not be at all surprised to see EP offer sheeted. It doesnt happen often but other teams know the cap crunch Benning is in too. And some are desperate to keep their jobs too.

3 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

First, there is zero chance Arizona was going to retain 50% every year for the remainder of his long term contract. 

Probably one of the reasons a deal never materialized then eh?

Having said that, OEL at 4 million per for that long is still a huge risk cap wise. The term relative to his age - and his fit on our roster too - is the issue.

He's 29.... For $4m, it's really not that risky.

We have no players that I would cap dump at that point to take on OEL. Not even Eriksson. Simply because its trading for a longer term risk.

My point is why did Benning even waste that much time trying to make OEL happen at all? He gets out his little wall chart and myopically focuses on the player he wants rather than all the other important factors in acquiring them. Thats my main beef with Benning. He shows little regard for the long term cap impact.

He is like the mounties. Always gets his man. Even when he gets bent over in a trade of on a contract to do it.

Your anti-Benning bias is projecting again.

I am hoping he will not do the same things this summer. EP, Hughes, and Ian Clark need to be his main focus until they are signed. And to give himself a chance he might want to get that done sooner rather than later. 

I would not be at all surprised to see EP offer sheeted. It doesnt happen often but other teams know the cap crunch Benning is in too. And some are desperate to keep their jobs too.

*Yawn*

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

would not be at all surprised to see EP offer sheeted. It doesnt happen often but other teams know the cap crunch Benning is in too. And some are desperate to keep their jobs too.

We have a better chance winning this year lottery than a GM offer sheet to Petey. With cap uncertainty it’s not as easy as you think, anything is possible but unlikely these next couple years 

31 minutes ago, NucksIn50 said:

Wow what a statement what a quote... after winning the Stanley Cup in 2023-24 the Canucks part ways with Jim Benning as GM and hire Bob the Dog to run the team in 2025. My point being is yeah eventually he will get fired or moved on from. This forum is getting ridiculous. 

You’re ridiculous if you ever think Vancouver will win with the current management!  

homer fan!