The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning on Sportsnet 650 with Halford & Brough - June 24, 2021

Rate this topic

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

We already have our star in Petey.

If there’s a chance to get a really good young D man in a trade you do it.

Well you can never have too much star power. I completely agree with you, the only two scenarios I want to see with the 9th pick is either a trade for a young, stud RHD or make the pick. Really don't want to see it moved for a forward.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Well you can never have too much star power. I completely agree with you, the only two scenarios I want to see with the 9th pick is either a trade for a young, stud RHD or make the pick. Really don't want to see it moved for a forward.

True. 

You can have too many of the same types of players though.

The goal should be to walk away from the draft with one of the top D men in the draft or a newly acquired D man.

I just don’t think using the pick on a forward is the way to go either.

1 minute ago, 204CanucksFan said:

+1

Benning will pick our next star at 9th... But as you say.  If we can get a Cernak or equal caliber of right D, you go for it.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

True. 

You can have too many of the same types of players though.

The goal should be to walk away from the draft with one of the top D men in the draft or a newly acquired D man.

I just don’t think using the pick on a forward is the way to go either.

I wouldn't mind if we took McTavish, I think he is a player that we could use in our system and on our team. I'd also be ok if we dropped back a couple of spots and took either of Sillinger or Ceulemans. But I'd be ecstatic if we got Cernak or a similar dman. 

I expect Benning to do something good this summer. I know it hasn't always worked, he's obviously made plenty of mistakes in hindsight, but lately he really seems to be making a lot better decisions and has shown he will do what's best for the franchise and not just what he has to do to keep his job.

As long as we move forward, I am good on what Benning does.............

Personally, I would to see Benning use the pick to take BPA.......as some have said above, it will be the next star to join as a prospect. Note that we should not be going 2 years in a row, without drafting a 1st rounder. The same can be said for our 2nd, to a lesser degree.

Regardless, of any trade actions or UFA signings............any of Clarke (not happening), McTavish, Sillinger, or Svechkov, with our 1st, and one of Schmidt, Mailloux or Bar with our 2nd.

As for trade moves............

Sign and Trade Parayko for 2022-1st (Unprotected)

Sign and trade Zadorov for Juolevi...........or     Graves for Juolevi.....................nothing wrong with Juolevi, I just want heavier and more durable

A defense of 

Hughes      Parayko

Rathbone   Schmidt

Graves      Myers

Seems like a formable group 

• Cheers 3

Curious what the Islanders are going to do in the expansion draft... Leddy, Pulock, Mayfield, Pelech.. can't protect them all.

If Mayfield is available he'd be a great target. David Savard is another guy in free agency who might be decent, although he'll probably command 4M+

Upfront there's a thread about DeBrusk, we should inquire on that. And along those lines I wonder what MTL might try and do with Drouin. Maybe some buy low candidates.

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Curious what the Islanders are going to do in the expansion draft... Leddy, Pulock, Mayfield, Pelech.. can't protect them all.

If Mayfield is available he'd be a great target. David Savard is another guy in free agency who might be decent, although he'll probably command 4M+

Upfront there's a thread about DeBrusk, we should inquire on that. And along those lines I wonder what MTL might try and do with Drouin. Maybe some buy low candidates.

They could if they decide to protect 8. Do the Islanders have many forwards worth protecting?  

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

Good point, so quick run through;

Barzal

Lee

Nelson

Bailey

Eberle

Pageau

Beauvillier

Barzal is a given.

Eberle and Bailey are the older guys you’ve listed and Lee is at 7M for a while. 

For what they have they’d be okay losing one of their forwards they’d expose. 

11 hours ago, BPA said:

Gudbranson for $2M x 3yr.

Lol.

I think Gudbranson on the third pairing at a cap hit of $1.5M over 2-3 years would be a good thing. 

I wonder if Samuel Morin in Philly is available?  Big and nasty...lots of injuries that has prevented him from seeing any meaningful playing time, but was a highly touted player coming out of junior. 

Would love me a couple of heavyweight defensive bruisers alongside Myers and Hamonic on the back end to complement Hughes, Rathbone and Schmidt.

10 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Barzal is a given.

Eberle and Bailey are the older guys you’ve listed and Lee is at 7M for a while. 

For what they have they’d be okay losing one of their forwards they’d expose. 

I think they have to protect Pageau and Lee who have NTC unless they waive so that’s 3 with Barzal. 

5 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

As long as we move forward, I am good on what Benning does.............

Personally, I would to see Benning use the pick to take BPA.......as some have said above, it will be the next star to join as a prospect. Note that we should not be going 2 years in a row, without drafting a 1st rounder. The same can be said for our 2nd, to a lesser degree.

Regardless, of any trade actions or UFA signings............any of Clarke (not happening), McTavish, Sillinger, or Svechkov, with our 1st, and one of Schmidt, Mailloux or Bar with our 2nd.

As for trade moves............

Sign and Trade Parayko for 2022-1st (Unprotected)

Sign and trade Zadorov for Juolevi...........or     Graves for Juolevi.....................nothing wrong with Juolevi, I just want heavier and more durable

A defense of 

Hughes      Parayko

Rathbone   Schmidt

Graves      Myers

Seems like a formable group 

On paper that looks juicy…  

Just not sure about 2022 unprotected… a couple of injuries to fwds and we could miss the playoff again. A lot of interesting players in the next two drafts ( yes I know, same most year, so sometimes you just gotta go for it)…

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

I think Gudbranson on the third pairing at a cap hit of $1.5M over 2-3 years would be a good thing. 

I wonder if Samuel Morin in Philly is available?  Big and nasty...lots of injuries that has prevented him from seeing any meaningful playing time, but was a highly touted player coming out of junior. 

Would love me a couple of heavyweight defensive bruisers alongside Myers and Hamonic on the back end to complement Hughes, Rathbone and Schmidt.

Samuel Morin is a forward now - they converted him ahead of the season.   He's also a UFA. 

30 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

So we are wanting to add some beef to the D core eh...thought we had someone already to slot into that role by the name of Nikita Tryamkin, but I digress!

should they have dragged him across the ocean at gunpoint?

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2