The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Which forward(s) should we target as UFA?

Rate this topic

Gawdzukes

Time to build from the net out. Defense is what this team needs, one or two minute munching defenders. 

I think if deployed right this team has plenty of scoring and prospects to work through the forward ranks as it stands, the depth could get challenged if injuries erupt but the top lines look pretty good imo.

Now that Schmidt is most likely dealt, along with Holtby. Edler, most likely not coming back. I target.... 

1. Jake McCabe (could be good value, depending on his knee) 

2. James Reimer or Brossoit 

3. I'm really not sure how to address our Right D, still a bit butthurt that Seattle signed Larsson. 

Jujhar Khaira not being qualified by EDM. 

Dont know if this is speculation or Spector know something but I'd be on board with bringing Khaira in on a cheap deal.

Size, skated well, hard nosed player, and has a decent shot too. Would take him over guys like Boyd & Hawryluk on our 4th line.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Jujhar Khaira not being qualified by EDM. 

Dont know if this is speculation or Spector know something but I'd be on board with bringing Khaira in on a cheap deal.

Size, skated well, hard nosed player, and has a decent shot too. Would take him over guys like Boyd & Hawryluk on our 4th line.

Really like Khaira.  I do hope he’s a guy we try to bring in.  He can really skate, and plays hard.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Khaira is great when he's invested in the game, completely invisible when he's not. He had 2 really big concussions to end the season (one from being knocked out in a fight, and another from coming back way too soon after his lights got shut off from said fight) so his health is a huge question mark. 

I'd prefer a guy with a more consistent motor but on a league minimum contract to have him in and out of the lineup if his health is okay isn't a bad decision. 

On 7/18/2021 at 1:10 PM, Johnny Torts said:

Getzlaf, cheap 1 year deal if possible. 

It's interesting, if he can still play, we'd have to remember not to boo every time he touched the puck. I think Coleman would be a great fit here, but there are many options.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, aliboy said:

It's interesting, if he can still play, we'd have to remember not to boo every time he touched the puck. I think Coleman would be a great fit here, but there are many options.

1 minute ago, aliboy said:

Totally. I want to see this team bigger and meaner! I just hope its more than a big body like Gudbranson!

We've got room to do a few things.  Let's say new contracts for Petterson (8.5) Hughes (7) Garland (4.8) and Dickenson (2.2) come in at 22.5 mil for the sake of argument. 

Our available cap:     18,789,341

Trade and buyout candidates:  12,800,000
Virtanen:         2,550,000
Schmidt:        5,950,000
Holtby            4,300,000

LTIR     Ferland        3,500,000

That gives us around 13 mil to spend.  Should be able to get a couple of stay at home RD, a backup goalie and a quality 3/4C out of that

Edited by Maniwaki Canuck

Id be happy just to get a 3rd and maybe a 5th for schmidt for next years draft. 

trade for Gudas(2.5 aav)

sign zach bogosian or luke schenn for cheap (1.4aav)

2 yr 3 mill for janmark (1.5aav)

Thats 5.4 mill right there 

Sign jouveli, sign mcewen? Who else do we need to sign? Is gadj signed? 

Edited by Bertuzzipunch

Canucks should at least kick tires on Nick Bonino, just to see how cheap he might be available.

It might be a little weird bringing him back, but I doubt there are any bad feelings from the Sutter trade, and I’m sure Bonino’s Cup rings make it all water under the bridge.

Bonino is still good for about a half point per game, drives play, is solid at both ends, wins faceoffs, can play C or W, is great on the PK, and since turning 30 has actually had some of his best seasons, by the analytics, averaging 2 wins above replacement over each of the past three years.

I’m seeing predictions of around $2M AAV for his next contract, which would be a bargain, especially if it’s the short term deal, and he can maintain recent performance levels.

• Like 1

Trade Boeser + Schmidt for Dumba 

Trade Myers, Holtby, Virtanen, & Juolevi + 2022 1st 2023 2nd & 2022 3rd for Damon Severson + Yegor Sharangovich 

Sign Landescog

Sign Hamonic 

Sign Edler for cheap 

Landescog Pettersson Hoglander

Miller Horvat Garland

Pearson Sharangovich Podkolzin

Highmore Dickenson Motte 

MacEwan Hawrluk 

OEL Severson

Hughes Dumba 

Edler Hamonic

Rathbone Juolevi 

Demko 

• Haha 1
  • Wat 3
  • RoughGame 1

Pretty damn sure Van will acquire Khaira.  Makes so much sense to market him to the Punjab community… which is hella large in the lower mainland.

Plus he has good size, skates well, and works…. Sounds like a Travis Green guy to me. 

1 hour ago, kenhodgejr said:

Trade Boeser + Schmidt for Dumba 

Trade Myers, Holtby, Virtanen, & Juolevi + 2022 1st 2023 2nd & 2022 3rd for Damon Severson + Yegor Sharangovich 

Sign Landescog

Sign Hamonic 

Sign Edler for cheap 

Landescog Pettersson Hoglander

Miller Horvat Garland

Pearson Sharangovich Podkolzin

Highmore Dickenson Motte 

MacEwan Hawrluk 

OEL Severson

Hughes Dumba 

Edler Hamonic

Rathbone Juolevi 

Demko 

Worst trade proposal of all time. Dumba isnt even that good

11 hours ago, 70seven said:

Pretty damn sure Van will acquire Khaira.  Makes so much sense to market him to the Punjab community… which is hella large in the lower mainland.

Plus he has good size, skates well, and works…. Sounds like a Travis Green guy to me. 

Like Khaira a lot. 

But i almost feel Graovac deserves that 4c spot.  

On 7/24/2021 at 6:27 PM, Bertuzzipunch said:

Id be happy just to get a 3rd and maybe a 5th for schmidt for next years draft. 

trade for Gudas(2.5 aav)

sign zach bogosian or luke schenn for cheap (1.4aav)

2 yr 3 mill for janmark (1.5aav)

Thats 5.4 mill right there 

Sign jouveli, sign mcewen? Who else do we need to sign? Is gadj signed? 

A 3rd and a 5th?  What happened to the circus of appreciation for Schmidt when he arrived?  This past season was a short, weird one.  If Schmidt wants out or if he's an unprofessional clown taking the team down in the dressing room, then I completely get trading him.  But he should be worth more than that.  If a good trade isn't viable, I say we put his butt out on the ice with this team and let the coaches do their work.  This year's team will be different than last year's.  For the better we expect.