The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Which forward(s) should we target as UFA?

Rate this topic

Gawdzukes

“I can’t help but be honest with you that I’m a little bit disappointed that it’s gotten this far and it’s had to come to this point,” Landeskog said.

Landeskog had 20 goals and 52 points in 54 games this season, adding four goals and 13 points in 10 playoff games. The 28-year-old winger told The Athletic that he would have preferred to have not played out a contract year. 

“We’ll see what happens,” Landeskog added. “I’m still hopeful that we can agree on something and come to terms, but if it was up to me, I would have liked it to be done eight months ago, 10 months ago.”

Get Landeskog!!!

• Vintage 2

8 minutes ago, BPA said:

“I can’t help but be honest with you that I’m a little bit disappointed that it’s gotten this far and it’s had to come to this point,” Landeskog said.

Landeskog had 20 goals and 52 points in 54 games this season, adding four goals and 13 points in 10 playoff games. The 28-year-old winger told The Athletic that he would have preferred to have not played out a contract year. 

“We’ll see what happens,” Landeskog added. “I’m still hopeful that we can agree on something and come to terms, but if it was up to me, I would have liked it to be done eight months ago, 10 months ago.”

Get Landeskog!!!

Oh for sure; he’s awesome.  Big, skilled, hyper compete, and tough as hell too.  Huge loss for the Avs, and would be a great get for us.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 7/12/2021 at 11:06 PM, iceman64 said:

LE? Bury him in the minors comes to mind BUT I do not want that guy anywhere near our prospects but it wasn't for that I'd be all over seeing him have his last year demoted to shame would put a smile on my face a mile wide!

Why? At first, I was stoked, finally I thought someone from Boston who shouldn't be a cream puff to put with the twins so at least we'd be in for some good hockey to watch for another 6 years, he did well at the world's playing with the twins and I could have sworn we'd just acquired a higher skilled Anson Carter, and then maybe, just maybe with the right additions, we'd have a outside shot at a cup run, then it happened, he scored into our net by accident, I can't say for sure that was it but then, all downhill from there, PLUS this, if one doesn't have the balls to just leave or change completely and it truly is more about the money more than the game, speaks volumes and that makes my blood boil! 

And I'll even bring it one closer, I listened to my first Canucks game on the radio in the car in 1974 and 2 things come to mind, 1.. No cup, yes an obvious one but it started to really sting with year after year of a cream puff team muscled out of the playoffs with no depth after selling the farm to get a roster which never works or super seldom.

2. IF someone asked me to take over this team in 2012 and offered 5-10 mil a season to do it, I'd have told whoever offered it go F themselves in as many ways possible, no way ever would I have done that with a salary cap and so many players locked in, I saw why MG did that and not forseeing a cap and  no more big money for  bigger tougher skilled players to protect the twins etc was doomed to fail and then to top it all off, a guy like LE shows up and quits... geeez !

So when you said there's no one who hates LE and want him gone more than you.. lol that's sooooo debatable!!! 

By the time LE is out here his popularity will be right about the level of messier. 

7 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

By the time LE is out here his popularity will be right about the level of messier. 

Yeah that'd be a toss up... Messier's b.s. was actually better timed as in not in the middle of so many contract's expiring year after year and the teams identity was smashed to start with, LE after that, was the worst timing in franchise history almost so imo LE wins by a millimeter... pretty damn close though.. both greedy d_ckheads with no respect for the sport that helped make them rich beyond what the average person would make it 5-10 lifetimes. Grrrrrr... I know, I know, bitter much? meh... kinda but.. after no cup ever! 

Jim Benning’s comment yesterday about wanting to bring in another Russian player to help with Podkolzin’s transition to the NHL makes me wonder who that individual may be. One name that comes to mind is free agent Ivan Barbashev who would be inexpensive, can play a physical game and is a free agent if he isn’t signed soon by St Louis. He could play 3rd line centre or move up and down the lineup as needed. Although I can’t understand why St Louis would allow him to get to free agency except that they are trying to move out salary in Tarasenko and bring in a big name free agent.

Edited by laddie

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Sign UFA Ovie for 2 years, the guy is still pretty great, and what an impact on Podz!

Pettersson - Miller - Boeser

Ovechkin - Horvat - Podkolzin

Hmmm.. interesting idea but somehow I don't think OV would up and move his family to Canada for a cpl of years before he retires. However his presence alone would do wonders for the whole team, not just Podz but I think his price tag would be too steep for the payoff but who knows, I only know a few things about this life I'm sure about and one is, anything is possible.

I know this thread specifies forwards, but I read an interesting comment from Jim Benning and this seemed like the best place to discuss...

Apparently, he is interested in signing a Russian vet, to help ease Pods' transition to the big club. Scanning over the UFA list there aren't a lot available. Artem Anisimov is, but he's at 4.5 million...a bit too rich, methinks....

But, Dmitri Kulikov made a bit over 1 mil last year and would check a few boxes.

Thoughts?

Edited by RUPERTKBD

29 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I know this thread specifies forwards, but I read an interesting comment from Jim Benning and this seemed like the best place to discuss...

Apparently, he is interested in signing a Russian vet, to help ease Pods' transition to the big club. Scanning over the UFA list there aren't a lot available. Artem Anisimov is, but he's at 4.5 million...a bit too rich, methinks....

But, Dmitri Kulikov made a bit over 1 mil last year and would check a few boxes.

Thoughts?

My thought is that the Russian vet could be this gentleman:

8. Pavel Buchnevich

Right Wing, New York Rangers
Contract: RFA (Arbitration Eligible)
Scoop: Sources indicate new Rangers GM Chris Drury has engaged in conversation about the possibility of moving Buchnevich. Why? He is coming off a career season, where he collected 20 goals and 48 points in just 54 games – a 30-goal and 72-point run over an 82-game stretch. That means he’s about to be paid. His arbitration award, at a minimum, is well above the $4.54 million walkaway rate – and any arbitration award would walk him to free agency anyway. It’s time to either buck-up or book a ticket for Buchnevich.

Might get paid very well after his 48 points in just 54 games. Canucks would have to move out money in order to be able to add him.