The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Maple Leafs looking to trade Zach Hyman’s rights; Canucks interested

$5M x 8 years (or the max 7-years from any other team) is insane.  Hyman is probably a more complete player than David Clarkson but has a similar complimentary style of game.  Clarkson was around the same age when he hit UFA and was not far removed from a 30 goal season.  Leafs signed him to a $5.25M x 7 years deal and regretted it pretty much right away.

Like Clarkson, I like Hyman's game in principle but that is insane money and term to throw at someone.  Don't blame Hyman for asking for that money but I really hope the Canucks hamstring themselves with a deal like that.  Even at a more "reasonable" cap hit, a long term contract seems like a bad idea.

Just now, DeNiro said:

We’re expected to believe there’s a bidding war for his rights? :lol:

Leafs media never fails to entertain…

Why the hell would the Canucks want to pay him 5+ mil when his stats are being inflated in Toronto? That contract is guaranteed to underperform.

Yeah plus boeser is on the market as well.

okay media well done

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

Good point. That's why I'm always leery of the majority of these guys "playing for their next deal", especially at 30 years old. 

Yeah, in JBs’ tenure we had seen a lot of these examples (ofcourse, these types of situation are nothing new in pro sports).  If I am a GM any player, at/close to 30 looking for a contract and had an uptick leading up to the contract - will only get at (most) two years or a bunch of show me contracts moving forward.  

I get it and I don’t blame the players; if a GM, is foolish enough to negotiate that deal - then it is on the GM and the coach  (to a lesser degree) cause good chance, the coach would had been consulted as well.  

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

I don't see Hyman actually signing in Vancouver. It makes no sense. He's not a fit. Canucks don't have the cap space to make this kind of signing anyways. I feel like this is just a smokescreen and Hyman's camp is just throwing team names out there to drive up his price. I think he stays on the east coast.

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

We’re expected to believe there’s a bidding war for his rights? :lol:

Leafs media never fails to entertain…

Why the hell would the Canucks want to pay him 5+ mil when his stats are being inflated in Toronto? That contract is guaranteed to underperform.

There probably is a bidding war going to happen. Put down the phone, Jim.

Like I said in other posts, I think he's going to pursue that Tyler Johnson type and that's the average $ for that type of player now.

I want that F that can play both sides of the rink and anywhere on 4 lines, but I'd be looking for a Warren Foegle or someone that has proven they can already play and adapt to that type of game and at a better price point and younger. Foegey is likely one of the better candidates all around for us in that way if we could acquire him. He'd make an excellent 2 way player option with a little bit of Shaw's influence.

2 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I don’t get it. The guy has never gone over 41 points and he “has offers North” of 5M per?

I say that’s fake news by the agent or media. I don’t see the logic in there. 

Shows how soft the leugue is getting that a guy that plays hard, tough hockey and can skate is a rarity. 

• Vintage 1

Just now, grandmaster said:

I don’t get it. The guy has never gone over 41 points and he “has offers North” of 5M per?

It's generated from the Toronto Star, so the bias is obvious there.

3 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Contract year numbers; whearas, the rest are more a reflection of his true production - but ofcourse, the context of his usage & deployment through out his career will have to be considered.  Moving forward, the real question is how he will adapt if the team were to change course - will he be able to adjust, be durable and can he play up & down the line up ?

Has Hyman ever played with or was coached by any Canuck staff? Not only is the money big but he wants term as well. At 30 you cannot consider him a core player so how does that impact your offer. I don't see the fit.