The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Maple Leafs looking to trade Zach Hyman’s rights; Canucks interested

I like Hyman. But almost all players get overpaid on free agency day. Except Toffoli.

I'd do 3 or 4 years max but some GM will sign him to a longterm overpaid contract. 

Leafs need more guys like Hyman not less. They should look to trade Marner instead and extend Hyman. 

53 minutes ago, JohnTavares said:

Jim Benning should have been fired long time ago, but if he does sign Hyman to a huge deal, he should be fired on the spot.

did HF Boards have an outage or something? 

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I really hope this is just Benning doing his due diligence. The last thing we need to be doing right now is moving tangible assets for Hyman and then giving him an Eriksson contract.

I doubt it would be much of an asset. 

1 hour ago, JohnTavares said:

Jim Benning should have been fired long time ago, but if he does sign Hyman to a huge deal, he should be fired on the spot.

Tell us how you really feel about JB?

Hyman is a good player but I don’t really see how we can fit him under the cap, and I’m not a big fan of signing long term extensions (especially those rumoured terms—yikes!) for players in that kind of age group. Those big UFA contracts almost never prove worth their value over their lifetime, and often result in serious cap consequences and “negative value.” And we’re not exactly sitting on a ton of cap space, or with a roster that’s just one key addition away from being a contender. I’d much rather target a younger player for trade, maybe on a <$2M AAV RFA expiry deal, that our scouts hope might become a Hyman type player in a season or two, but is currently available for a modest price, either due to expansion draft pressures, or simply underutilization on his current team, but primed to take a next step. Of course, those players don’t exactly offer the immediate “sure thing” that you get with some UFAs, but if your scouting is good enough to hit on undervalued acquisitions, before they’ve proven themselves, the payoff can be huge (cost controlled roster player, RFA rights, and able to keep them with the team for their whole prime, rather than overpaying when they’re at the tail end of their prime and about to hit those inevitable decline years).

• Vintage 1

Hard pass on Hyman. He's going to get way too much term and money.

Canucks should be looking for players that are going to be good value for their entire contract.

This is what pro scouting is for. Being able to determine which ufas are going to be good value contracts and targeting them.

I'm not a fan of the Canucks spending an asset to acquire rights to negotiate with Hyman before he hits UFA and/or before protection lists are set.  I assume they don't intend to protect an impending UFA from expansion (seems like a waste?) but if they didn't protect him, then Hyman could be the player taken from Vancouver since Seattle can sign UFAs leading up to the expansion draft.  I suppose there could be a side deal with Seattle to have them select Hyman and then have the Canucks trade with them for him, but that seems like a huge waste for both Vancouver and Seattle.

If Hyman becomes a Canuck, then I assume it would have to be during the general FA period in which case we'll see if Vancouver holds his attention over other teams.  In principle I would be OK with a medium-term deal (3-4 years) for around $4M AAV though I don't know how the Canucks can afford this unless they are confident that they can get rid of some of the bad $.

At the end of the day, Hyman is a good player and he's been scoring at a 50-60 point pace for the last two season.  He also generally elevates whatever line he is on, which is a great quality.  He might be able to keep this up for another couple years but there's certainly the possibility that he goes the Eriksson route and declines even more rapidly.  I personally think there's a bit less of a chance with Hyman as they have different styles of play, but who knows.  Whatever the case is, I would be disappointed if the Canucks give Hyman big $ and term.

33 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Could use a player like him but would rather leave top 6 opportunities for Podz and need centre and RD much more than another winger. 

Yea I hear you but you can't leave positions open to players with 0 games played.

Not many rookies excel in a top 6 role opening night. He can start down the line up and work up.

Edited by Chris12345

I think some of you may be underestimating how good this guy is. I went back and read Dom Luszczyszyn's recent UFA article. He has Hyman rated as the third best forward available, behind Ovechkin and Lanndeskog, both of whom probably never even make it to UFA. Here's Dom's writeup for anyone curious.

"Zach Hyman

Projected contract: $5.8 million x 4.5 years

One of the most intriguing names by far in this year’s free agent class is Hyman as some of the numbers being thrown out around him seem preposterous. A gritty, 29-year-old who has suddenly blossomed into a top-six talent out of nowhere through sheer hard work and determination? Shades of David Clarkson.

As it turns out, the model doesn’t believe the numbers lobbied toward Hyman are all that out of the ordinary. Actually, it believes it’s not enough — not for the next four seasons anyway. While the model recognizes Toronto’s stars as the ones that stir the drink, it gives plenty of credit to Hyman for being the one doing the dirty work in the top six. There’s a reason the team’s top players all want to play with Hyman and it shows up in the numbers. His on-ice results at five-on-five are very strong.

If that were it, Hyman wouldn’t be worth a ludicrous deal, but he can produce and bury those high danger chances he’s given/created. In 2019-2,  he scored at a 34-goal, 59-point pace and followed that up with a 29-goal, 63-point pace one year later. That’s while getting minimal power play time and over the last two seasons he’s scored 1.96 points per 60 at five-on-five, which ranks 91st among forwards. That’s borderline top line production and his play-driving ability takes care of the rest of the value. He was unsurprisingly one of Toronto’s best forecheckers last season but developed some decent puck skills in zone and in transition. The days of having stone hands are gone.

A four-year deal is the sweet spot for Hyman, but based on his comps there doesn’t seem to be much of a bust risk. Many of Hyman’s comps are rich-man versions of him with Sharp, Marian Hossa and Patrick Marleau all at the top of the list. He’s not that good, but Alex Burrows, Patric Hornqvist, Chris Kunitz also come to mind and it’s that kind of elite support role that Hyman can fill. They make life easier for star players.

Hyman won’t come cheap, but if he can continue to play his game and be the top six grinder that stars love to play with, then there’s a good chance that he can live up to his next deal. As silly as it will look when he signs it. He’s not just a product of his teammates. "

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, ‹(•¿•)› said:

I think some of you may be underestimating how good this guy is. I went back and read Dom Luszczyszyn's recent UFA article. He has Hyman rated as the third best forward available, behind Ovechkin and Lanndeskog, both of whom probably never even make it to UFA. Here's Dom's writeup for anyone curious.

"Zach Hyman

One of the most intriguing names by far in this year’s free agent class is Hyman as some of the numbers being thrown out around him seem preposterous. A gritty, 29-year-old who has suddenly blossomed into a top-six talent out of nowhere through sheer hard work and determination? Shades of David Clarkson.

As it turns out, the model doesn’t believe the numbers lobbied toward Hyman are all that out of the ordinary. Actually, it believes it’s not enough — not for the next four seasons anyway. While the model recognizes Toronto’s stars as the ones that stir the drink, it gives plenty of credit to Hyman for being the one doing the dirty work in the top six. There’s a reason the team’s top players all want to play with Hyman and it shows up in the numbers. His on-ice results at five-on-five are very strong.

If that were it, Hyman wouldn’t be worth a ludicrous deal, but he can produce and bury those high danger chances he’s given/created. In 2019-2,  he scored at a 34-goal, 59-point pace and followed that up with a 29-goal, 63-point pace one year later. That’s while getting minimal power play time and over the last two seasons he’s scored 1.96 points per 60 at five-on-five, which ranks 91st among forwards. That’s borderline top line production and his play-driving ability takes care of the rest of the value. He was unsurprisingly one of Toronto’s best forecheckers last season but developed some decent puck skills in zone and in transition. The days of having stone hands are gone.

A four-year deal is the sweet spot for Hyman, but based on his comps there doesn’t seem to be much of a bust risk. Many of Hyman’s comps are rich-man versions of him with Sharp, Marian Hossa and Patrick Marleau all at the top of the list. He’s not that good, but Alex Burrows, Patric Hornqvist, Chris Kunitz also come to mind and it’s that kind of elite support role that Hyman can fill. They make life easier for star players.

Hyman won’t come cheap, but if he can continue to play his game and be the top six grinder that stars love to play with, then there’s a good chance that he can live up to his next deal. As silly as it will look when he signs it. He’s not just a product of his teammates. "

He's a good hockey player now. But he is going to get a 6 year deal.

Will he still be worth 6 million a year in years 3 to 6?

Has the potential to LE 2.0.

I could see Hyman getting 6 per year - but 8 years term is way too long.

Canucks' could really use this guy in front of the net, and generally for his grit and scoring ability. I could also see Benning liking him. But if he offers him 6mx8y he should be fired.

16 minutes ago, ‹(•¿•)› said:

"Zach Hyman

A 5.8x5 or maybe a 6x5 would be fine but an longer term at that rate would be a huge mistake IMO.

Edited by Teemu Selänne

1 minute ago, Teemu Selänne said:

I could see Hyman getting 6 per year - but 8 years term is way too long.

Canucks' could really use this guy in front of the net, and generally for his grit and scoring ability. I could also see Benning liking him. But if he offers him 6mx8y he should be fired.

I'll say it again....overpayment is fine but stay away from term. He would round out the team beautifully.

2 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

I agree. 5 year max unless the amount is steeply discounted

Honestly they need an on ice leader who grinds away and gets 45 points.

Think Alex Burrows but bigger and a worse skater.

I said it a month ago

Armia

Hyman

and Boggy

Zing!

Edited by Chris12345