The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks Trade for Dickinson from DAL for a 3rd.

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

What do you consider a potato in terms of your own hockey analysis? From all reports on him and the limited games i've seen him play in (between 45-50 maybe?) the guy doesn't seem to have any issues or negative characteristics with his skating.  He hasn't shown superior hands on O, but that isn't what he's been counted on for. Can you explain your POV a bit further? Just curious how you arrived at your opinion. thx man

He doesn’t know what to do with the puck so he just dumps it. 
he is a straight line North and South player

He sucks at face offs. 

to be completely honest, he would be far better on the wing where he can dig the puck out of the scums and give it to someone that isn’t completely useless with it. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How do you know this, because that’s way too much for this type of player?  

https://www.defendingbigd.com/2021/6/14/22526686/analysis-between-radek-faksa-jason-dickinson-who-do-the-dallas-stars-protect-seattle-joe-pavelski

it’s from this article. Don’t shoot the messenger. We are used to overpaying for Sutter so this isn’t so bad.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How do you know this, because that’s way too much for this type of player?  

$2.8M x 3yrs is the contract predicted by Evolving-Hockey’s model.

They’re usually pretty close, at least on average, but it’s just a prediction. I suspect that Dickinson’s strong analytics could inflate the AAV predicted by their model, so hopefully he can be signed for a lot less than that, but he’s probably worth around $3M AAV.

Benning also got permission to talk to Dickinson’s agent before making the trade, and feels comfortable with the salary range they want for the extension, so hopefully that’s a good sign that the new contract will be decent value and nothing outrageous (although Benning is known to overpay, so we’ll see what happens).

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I’m not pleased or displeased with this trade.  I just don’t think Dickinson is a centre, who Green will be comfortable with taking 

D zone face-offs.  Imo, he’s a winger, and guys like this are available in free agency.  It only cost a third, so if he can play bottom six wing, and PK, then it’s fine.  But I still see Miller playing centre.  

Yep, I go is kind of a “meh” deal.  If Seattle takes Holtby instead of Lind that automatically makes it a bit better.

I think there will be some young RFAs who don’t get qualified who are better than Dickinson.  The good news is that it is a low cost acquisition and won’t really handcuff us, assuming we don’t extend him at a big price tag before we see what other options are available.

6 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

Curious, what are some ideas for trades that can help improve the team? You seem to hate this one so I wanna know what you think is better?

Do what Jim does best and draft a hockey team, let his mistakes expire and when all the poo comes off the books his players he is developing will begin to emerge. We just keep going in circles. Wait for contract to expire, Have cap, spend cap, wait for contracts to expire….

• RoughGame 1

6 minutes ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

All right it’s decided, the all-wise Convincing John has spoken. We clearly lost this trade. 

Convincing John, like many other know-it-alls on this board, watches every game that every team plays, all year long.  

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Provost said:

So now you are lying in addition to name calling?  You were the one quoting my post and inventing nonsense while name calling.

You called me dumb for posting that I was going to wait for actual evidence on the ice before giving him credit.

In your mind you seem to think that waiting for evidence is prejudging something.  That is genuinely idiotic logic.

Grown ups look at evidence and then revise their opinions when new evidence presents itself.  No new evidence has presented itself as of yet.

Here are the actual posts to show your utter lack of coherent thinking…

You quoted me first on my very first post in which i said what i said about judgement / criticism! Funny how that gets missed.

Now, f off!!! 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

$2.8M x 3yrs is the contract predicted by Evolving-Hockey’s model.

They’re usually pretty close, at least on average, but it’s just a prediction. I suspect that Dickinson’s strong analytics could inflate the AAV predicted by their model, so hopefully he can be signed for a lot less than that, but he’s probably worth around $3M AAV.

Benning also got permission to talk to Dickinson’s agent before making the trade, and feels comfortable with the salary range they want for the extension, so hopefully that’s a good sign that the new contract will be decent value and nothing outrageous (although Benning is known to overpay, so we’ll see what happens).

That’s a lot for a bottom six winger.  

6 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

Haha, ok. I’ll tell you who, Bottom 6 lines need goals from a bottom 6 player. Look how great it worked for Tampa to win back to back cups with contributions from the bottom 6 and the prices they paid for bottom 6 scoring. Any time Jim can flip a pick for an actual NHL player, it gives us an actual NHL player and not the hopes of an NHL player.
Trust every cup winning team, you need scoring in the bottom 6.

Its not a blockbuster deal that puts us over the top, but its a step in the right direction.

Also… look how great it worked for Edmonton?? Their top line got shut down and they got their a$$es handed to them.

You literally just expanded on my point. 
jason Dickinson can’t score goals. He is not supplementary offence when the top line gets shut down. He shuts himself down though. 

• RoughGame 1

1 minute ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

Have you been following the Canucks bottom six this past season?  Dickinson is a upgrade on what the Canucks currently have there.

But is he next year, when Lind is a year more developed?