The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Protected list from teams around the NHL

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, HC20.0 said:

I think Tampa might pay a premium to try and get Seattle to take Tyler Johnson. They’ve been trying to dump his contract for a long time.

they did, but he also showed up in the playoffs. 

It seems like teams are far less willing to give up extra assets to Seattle than Vegas. Pretty interesting game of chicken now, its going to be al long week.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

What we've seen, though, is that on paper doesn't automatically translate to success.  Chemistry and work ethic are two important factors for sure.  I hope they suck...tired of teams buying their way in with a sense of entitlement then expecting immediate gratification.  Vegas acts like they already deserve a cup.  

Definitely. I highly doubt they will have the same success as Vegas did early on.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm thinking they take Gourde. 

I wouldn’t take cap hit from them for free.  They need to drop $10 million or so in cap and most of their players have NTC that preclude sending them to bottom feeders who might be willing to take on cap.

I would tell them I am taking Foote and then do a side deal where they also gave me Gourde or Palat in return for dumping Johnson.

You get Foote, Palat, and Johnson from one team.

The actual expansion pick is the guy (if any) that has Seattle on his no trade list so he can’t stop it.

Edited by Provost

1 minute ago, Provost said:

I wouldn’t take cap hit from them for free.

I would tell them I am taking Foote and then do a side deal where they also gave me Gourde or Palat in return for dumping Johnson.

The actual expansion pick is the guy that has Seattle on his no trade list so he can’t stop it.

Is Tampa really better off losing two assets? Is Gourde >>> Johnson+Foote? 

Palat is a good buyout if they really need an extra 3+mil in cap space too. 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

Is Tampa really better off losing two assets? Is Gourde >>> Johnson+Foote? 

Palat is a good buyout if they really need an extra 3+mil in cap space too. 

They are much better off losing multiple assets… they actually badly need to.

They are handcuffed in that the guys they need to move have trade protection.  This is one process that they can over ride those protections.

Why buy out Palat if they can move his contract to a team that needs him and lets them shed the contract entirely as well as having a cap dump in Johnson.

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

They are much better off losing multiple assets… they actually badly need to.

They are handcuffed in that the guys they need to move have trade protection.  This is one process that they can over ride those protections.

Why buy out Palat if they can move his contract to a team that needs him and lets them shed the contract entirely as well as having a cap dump in Johnson.

And is also in the other conference. Which is a huge plus in the playoffs

33 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Am I the only one who thinks it's horse poo-poo that the VGK are exempt from this?  Why?  Shouldn't get special treatment after they're in.  I mean, they're allowed to trade players, etc.  So wth?

I don't know how wealthy the owners are, but I bet they'd gladly give up a player in exchange for over $21 million

6 minutes ago, Googlie said:

I don't know how wealthy the owners are, but I bet they'd gladly give up a player in exchange for over $21 million

So they paid to "enter" the league and got their players...even competing in the playoffs.  I mean, they got to take players from teams as part of that...seems only fair that other teams can also target them now that they're "part of" the league?

All owners "pay" for their teams.  It shouldn't exclude them from normal operations that other teams are subject to?  I know it was in their agreement...but for how long?  I don't like the idea of being able to pay for special treatment beyond the initial entry.  If they can't have players "taken" from their list they shouldn't be able to trade them either.  Stay pat with the team you bought.

Over Vegas already.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

So they paid to "enter" the league and got their players...even competing in the playoffs.  I mean, they got to take players from teams as part of that...seems only fair that other teams can also target them now that they're "part of" the league?

All owners "pay" for their teams.  It shouldn't exclude them from normal operations that other teams are subject to?  I know it was in their agreement...but for how long?

Vegas is only excluded from this expansion. In exchange they don’t get their share of the expansion fee. I don’t see it as a big deal.  

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Vegas is only excluded from this expansion. In exchange they don’t get their share of the expansion fee. I don’t see it as a big deal.  

I couldn't find the duration anywhere....thank you.

Not a big deal, I'm just so over Vegas already.

2 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Thanks for posting these @-Vintage Canuck-, some surprising choices within these lists.

I don't like how much talent is available to Seattle...

Seconded 

As well, though, some of that talent is high-priced.  Seattle has to iive under the cap too

• Cheers 1