The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

4 minutes ago, -SN- said:

So, I have to say I don't like this.  We've essentially extended an awful contract, except now it's worse. We don't have a first round pick, again, and we're running dry on prospects. For everyone saying Gillis left us with the cupboards empty, Benning is doing the same. 

I have to agree with you. Trying to like it... will like it more if there is salary retained. Garland is a good player. But I don't like it.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Agreed hopefully having more talent around him will increase his production and play nicely.

3 minutes ago, The.Burrowers said:

OEL was a Norris Contender a few years ago..... He could be the stud defenseman we have needed since Jovo.... he could also suck in a few short years.  Time will tell.  At least he wont be sitting on the taxi squad anytime soon.  We could compete for a cup next year if we refine the roster a bit more and add a good free agent.

This is the case on both.

He's a smart d-man but he *needs* wingers to pass to to look good. He's not a "Hughes-like" play driver, but rather a "settles the zone" while chipping in offensively. The first pass is a good one as long as the forwards aren't hot garbage.

Think of him more like Ohlund the way he plays. Ohlund looked kinda like crap until the WCE showed up and he got to play with some decent players, then it was all systems go.

OEL plays the same deal. Hopefully he's got the drive to win and it hasn't been Arizona'd out of him.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, awalk said:

I have to agree with you. Trying to like it... will like it more if there is salary retained. Garland is a good player. But I don't like it.

There is. 1.2 mill according to the source in this thread. Trade is good for both teams.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, -SN- said:

So, I have to say I don't like this.  We've essentially extended an awful contract, except now it's worse. We don't have a first round pick, again, and we're running dry on prospects. For everyone saying Gillis left us with the cupboards empty, Benning is doing the same. 

Days not done though 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

So all of our bad contracts & retention on OEL.

We get a top 6 FWD & top 4D.

I like it. It's basically all our problems solved in 1 deal.

agree

garland could be a top line player

we have solved everything, 

this is nothing but a win win win for our team

I would sign hamonic now and we are done

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2