The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Canucks concerned about a Pettersson offer sheet

16 minutes ago, Pears said:

Come on guys, we’re better than to use taj and his fear mongering as a legitimate source. 

Posting Taj is like posting Eklund in years past.

15 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Taj.....

But I probably respected Eklund more, he didn't try all that hard to pretend he knew $&!#, he just let people eat it up 

11 minutes ago, Pears said:

The more adamantly squam denies it, the more likely he is taj. 

No Squam=No Taj?

8 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Why would Montreal telegraph an offer sheet? How would that help their position? 

Dhaliwal has gone from a solid source of information to a speculative tweeter in a matter of a couple of years. Keep believing it though. 

Dhaliwal may still have some connections, but he's heading towards Eklund territory but with a larger media presence. He's not worth respecting, and should always be taken with a heap of salt imo.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Very few teams have this so-called "cap flexibility". Not to mention COVID/flat cap, and the Luongo recapture, both of which have nothing to do with this management.

Total bull$&!# narrative you're trying to spin.

I'm not saying it's likely we're going to lose him.

My post was more towards the people who think we would/could walk away from him.

Just now, Spoosh said:

If they’d be worries about that they would have signed him already. 

But if it was me in charge, I would have signed him first even if there is ’no hurry’ to do it. But since we really don’t know what is going on and what has been discussed I’m not worried just yet.

I highly doubt they are sweating over it or they’d have it on paper on EP40’s terms.

Another thing to consider, people on these boards are super impatient and have no sense of negotiation skills.

Sometimes doing it early is beneficial; however, how do we know if Pettersson WANTS to do it early? Sometimes it's all about trying to squeeze out a little extra moolah just by making the Canucks sweat it a little.

Two sides have to come to a mutual understanding of a price. That's how this works. Simply saying "Pay" is fine and dandy, but that's how you get bent over in talks.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, mll said:

4x 1st.   The overall contract is divided at most by 5 years to determine the compensation bracket.  

8.2M x 7 years = 57.4M then divided by 5 is 11.48M

Did not know that.  Thanks.

Hmm...tempted to take the 4 x 1sts.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Losing a young 1C sets this "rebuild" back years.

This is why some preach cap flexibility. If you need to overpay, you overpay essential players, not placeholders and support/secondary players like the ones we've signed in free agency.

Here's the thing though ..... if said essential player is forcing you to overpay, thus impacting other business/maneuvers that need to take place, I for one show him the door.  What is the point of laying a foundation with such a "me first" attitude.

An "essential" player is also one who understands the importance of compromise and has the humility to realize that they aren't bigger than the team. 

Petey will not disappoint. JP Barry on he other hand ..........

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, kanucks25 said:

I'm not saying it's likely we're going to lose him.

My post was more towards the people who think we would/could walk away from him.

Of course you were, otherwise why would you even bring it up in the first place?

If we did walk away from Pettersson's offersheet, we'd be netting a ton of draft picks potentially. I'm assuming any offer sheet will be no more than 10.2. And within this range, I think maybe 8 would be done? or 9?

1 minute ago, zimmy said:

Here's the thing though ..... if said essential player is forcing you to overpay, thus impacting other business/maneuvers that need to take place, I for one show him the door.  What is the point of laying a foundation with such a "me first" attitude.

An "essential" player is also one who understands the importance of compromise and has the humility to realize that they aren't bigger than the team. 

Petey will not disappoint. JP Barry on he other hand ..........

Petey also isn't a Cman yet and may very well end up as a lw in the NHL.  

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Dhaliwal has proven for years he has connections when it comes to the Canucks.

The problem more is whenever something is talked about but doesn't come to fruition, people think it's BS. In reality, GM's and agents talk about a lot of things that don't work out. Some discussions end quickly, other transactions fall apart at the very last minute.

Some people here especially seem to take it really personally for some reason. Chill out lol

Dhaliwal didn't report it specifically; however, he (and others) did reference players being POTENTIALLY on IV, which was a phony report.