The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Brandon Sutter

1 hour ago, Master Mind said:

Sutter at 1m is good value. Better to have him in a 4C role with Dickinson as 3C.

Can never have too many centres.

Excellent depth at centre:

PETTERSSON

HORVAT

DICKINSON

SUTTER

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Me_ said:

It saddens me that the fandom love given to an athlete is balanced with his monetary compensation.

Not just that... his monetary compensation dictated he have a larger role than 4C PK'er.

Nobody liked him in the top 6 or on the PP.

This won't be a problem with this new contract.

Edited by Jayinblack
  • Vintage 1

The Canucks make it official:

Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the club has re-signed forward Brandon Sutter to a one-year contract worth an average annual value of $1.125 million.

Sutter, 32, recorded 12 points (9-3-12) and two penalty minutes in 43 games with Vancouver last season. He scored his first career hat trick on January 25 vs the Ottawa Senators, becoming the fifth member of the Sutter family to record a regular season NHL hat trick.

The 6'3", 190-pound centre led all Canucks skaters in shorthanded goals (2) in 2020.21 and achieved a career-high in face-off win percentage (55.5%). Sutter has recorded 289 points (152-137-289) in 770 games over 13 NHL seasons split between Carolina, Pittsburgh, and Vancouver. In 50 career playoff games, he has scored nine goals and nine assists (9-9-18).

Born in Huntington, New York, Sutter has represented Canada throughout his international career, helping Canada earn gold at the 2008 IIHF World Junior Championship.

Sutter was originally drafted by Carolina in the first round, 11th overall in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft. He was initially acquired by Vancouver from Pittsburgh on July 28, 2015.

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/canucks-re-sign-brandon-sutter/c-325840368

Surprised JB managed to talk him down to such a cheap contract to be honest, I know people on these boards want Sutter gone but he still brings a LOT to the table. He is our top penalty killer, one of the best faceoff men in the league, defensive safe and let's not forget, he scored 9 goals in 43 games last year (good for just under a 20-goal pace).

No matter how Green plays it, we've got 2 top offensive lines and 2 great defensive lines. I think Sutter will end up being our 3rd line center based on minutes/numbers, especially if he keeps up that offence, but if Dickinson brings some offence then they'll swap.

It'll be interesting to see which wingers play with which centers though. I'd rather see Dickinson with Motte and Pearson for a bit more offence, and MacEwan and just about anyone play with Sutter, but we'll see loads of different combinations.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Really happy with this. I know a lot of people on CDC wanted him gone at any price, but I feel that despite his warts, we could not have expected a more rounded player to replace him at 1m. I think there is something to be said about him being part of the leadership group, besides the faceoff acumen and defensive responsibility.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Surprised JB managed to talk him down to such a cheap contract to be honest, I know people on these boards want Sutter gone but he still brings a LOT to the table. He is our top penalty killer, one of the best faceoff men in the league, defensive safe and let's not forget, he scored 9 goals in 43 games last year (good for just under a 20-goal pace).

No matter how Green plays it, we've got 2 top offensive lines and 2 great defensive lines. I think Sutter will end up being our 3rd line center based on minutes/numbers, especially if he keeps up that offence, but if Dickinson brings some offence then they'll swap.

It'll be interesting to see which wingers play with which centers though. I'd rather see Dickinson with Motte and Pearson for a bit more offence, and MacEwan and just about anyone play with Sutter, but we'll see loads of different combinations.

I see this more of a thank you from Sutter for overpaying him all those years and not trading him at the deadline last year after he was hit with Covid pretty hard.

4 minutes ago, Russ said:

And this is what you should be paying a 4C... Finally Jim got it! 

Yeah, the issue was always the contract.

Well, that and the original trade, where we added assets to acquire arguably the inferior player in Sutter, (Bonino has proven more valuable over time, and many of us felt that way from the start), and a higher salary.

But that’s all water under the bridge.

Sutter has never been a bad player. He’s consistently been a positive on-ice asset, and one who also brought significant additional value for this team off the ice. 

Even by the analytics, he’s only had one season of negative WAR, and is +8 wins and +44 goals above replacement, over his career.

The problem was that he was probably about $2 million AAV overpaid. That certainly wasn’t Sutter’s fault. His agent just did well for his client (or maybe Jim did poorly).

But now at $1.125M, Sutter is probably underpaid for the first time in his career (at least since his ELC), and that can only benefit the Canucks, who definitely needed to find bargains wherever they could, when it comes to cap hits vs. player value, and filling out the final spots on this roster.

Perfect signing for 4C.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2