The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Tucker Poolman

10 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

well I see it this way, we sign 3 RHD that are good  defensively so does this mean Myers is on the way out???

If not why all three??

Schenn is likely a 7/8th dman. Depth for injuries. We have a lot of left side offensive talent, so keeping the more defensive style right side talent allows for easier transition in case anyone is hurt.

5 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

chris farley snl GIF

This gif was a must.

that guy is my mentor.

the primary reason I'm so determined to stay positive and engage with those people who forget their daily affirmations.

if I could motivational speak and shake like that, I wouldn't be here...and on that note, there's a riverfront view waiting for me to break away from the twitterverse and get some sunshine.

Edited by oldnews
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

that guy is my mentor.

the primary reason I'm so determined to stay positive and engage with those people who forget their daily affirmations.

if I could motivational speak and shake like that, I wouldn't be here

Stuart Smalley Its Not Going To Be Perfect But Thats Okay GIF by Saturday Night Live - Find ...

• Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, The Listening said:

Hamonic is a proven defender that has shown to be a safe option on the ice. Poolman is unproven with less than 200 games in the league, and his advanced stats have shown he's not too good. I will wait and see what he can do for us in a reduced role, but from what we can see on the stat sheet, it's not so good. I don't blame people for being critical of this.

11 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

You trying to say that Hamonic and Poolman are similar level players is lol. (btw I am ok with the Poolman signing, I even think it is decent and could surprise to the upside)

As someone who lives in MB and has watched Poolman play live over a dozen times and probably almost 80 times on TV, I can easily say that he is almost exactly the same player as Hamonic, in fact, according to the advanced stats Poolman was much better than Hamonic last season. 

Stat lines over the last 2 seasons:

Hamonic - 88GP 6G 16A 22P  -6  191 blocks, 87 hits

Poolman - 96GP 4G 13A 17P  -3  108 blocks, 127 hits

Advanced stats for last season:

Hamonic - 38GP, 19:20 TOI/G, 40.9 CF %, 41.0 Fen F%, 23 OiGF, 40 OiGA, 90.5 OiS% 98.5 PDO, 45.3 O zone start % 54.7 D zone start %

Poolman - 39GP, 18:30 TOI/G, 44.2 CF%, 43.6 Fen F%, 20 OiGF, 24 OiGA, 93.5 OiS%, 100.3 PDO, 45.4 O zone start %, 54.6 D zone start %

Not to mention that Poolman is the better PKer, in 1:55 shorthanded ice time per game Hamonic was on the ice for 16 goals against, in 1:30 shorthanded ice time per game Poolman was on the ice for just 3 goals against.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

How did Jani Hakanpaa get only 3x1.5 vs. Poolman's 4x2.5? Canadian teams seem to really need to pay a premium to sign some players. 

Similar style but Hakanpaa is better defensively and bigger/hits more. 

Dallas' defense is looking amazing. 

Lindell - Klingberg
Suter - Heiskanen
Sekera - Hakanpaa

That's a dream worthy defense. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

28 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

I'm talking specifically about this season and how bad the negativity became. You conveniently evaded that point.

I don't focus on them like they focus on negativity. That is a false equivalency.

Your posts imply otherwise.

How childish and immature does a person have to be to stalk someone.

AV you are acting like a petulant child.

Somehow their brains don't get obvious distinctions.

The usual suspects crying as always.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

I wonder how many of the posters, who are unhappy with Poolmans contract, wanted Stecher to be re-signed? I might be mistaken, but seem to remember it would cost in the same ballpark to re-sign Stecher?

Maybe, just maybe, let the boy play a few games before finding the pitchforks... 

Stecher signed a two year 1.7 million per year contract as a UFA? The season before he had 17 points in 69 games and was a plus player in the regular season and playoffs. 

Im going to go out on a limb and say this will be the underrated signing this off-season. 

The guy hasnt been on the ice for many goals against…and compared to Savard who a lot of people wanted… hes been on the ice for far fewer goals and had a better on ice sv% as well has a higher PDO than Savard. Keep in mind Savard played on a high scoring low goals against TBL team for 14 games….54gp for Savard this season 66 goals against.. 14 of those games were with Tampa where he was on the ice for 14 goals, a PDO of 93.1 and an oiSV% of .902.  His combined season stats with CBJ and TBL .879oiSV% 93.9PDO and as you look back further and further its a pretty common trend for Savard. Hes on the ice for a lot of goals against.

56GP 66oiGA….

Tucker Poolman 39GP 24oiGA .935 oiSV% 100.3 PDO 24oiGA

In Poolmans 120 game career he has been on the ice for a total 84 GA thats less than Savards 2017-18 career high of 94oiGA in 81GP

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Master Mind said:

Your posts imply otherwise.

That's only a couple of quotes. Very disingenuous. The posters that I'm referring to are negative all of the time. Referring to them in a couple of quotes is far from focusing solely on them like they focus solely on negativity.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Bure_Pavel said:

Stecher signed a two year 1.7 million per year contract as a UFA? The season before he had 17 points in 69 games and was a plus player in the regular season and playoffs. 

Believe the qualifying offer was above 2M to sign again in VCR, but I may be wrong?

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

How did Jani Hakanpaa get only 3x1.5 vs. Poolman's 4x2.5? Canadian teams seem to really need to pay a premium to sign some players. 

Similar style but Hakanpaa is better defensively and bigger/hits more. 

Dallas' defense is looking amazing. 

Lindell - Klingberg
Suter - Heiskanen
Sekera - Hakanpaa

That's a dream worthy defense. 

Hakanpaa - 230 hits in 62 games, good underlying defensive numbers, average career ice time 18:02

Poolman - 147 hits in 120 games, poor underlying defensive numbers, average career ice time 16:45

We paid 2x the term and AAV based on what Hankanpaa got. Poolman is one of the strangest signings I've seen. I can't find anything positive on him other than he played higher in the lineup than he should have hence why his numbers are so bad. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, canucklehead44 said:

Hakanpaa - 230 hits in 62 games, good underlying defensive numbers, average career ice time 18:02

Poolman - 147 hits in 120 games, poor underlying defensive numbers, average career ice time 16:45

We paid 2x the term and AAV based on what Hankanpaa got. Poolman is one of the strangest signings I've seen. I can't find anything positive on him other than he played higher in the lineup than he should have hence why his numbers are so bad. 

2 Points.... 

The new coach in the set up, specifically wanted Poolman

and secondly, as has been discussed in lots of threads, some players don't wanna come to Canadian markets and with the tax system, the salaries down South are higher in real money...

Not saying these are the reason, just suggesting its not all black and white...

4 hours ago, TmanVan said:

Lol. Great input, thanks. 

The point is Benning more than anyone should know that overpaying bottom pairing defencemen and 4th line depth guys usually ends up being a bad move. 

What would you rather of had a few years ago, and what is more impactful for a team:  Panarin as a free agent, while letting Macewan, Motte, etc do there thing on the 4th line for cheap or: No Panarin, and overpayed 4th line guys, who take up money for true impact signings. 

Sure, Poolman may be fine and play 4 full years for the Canucks. But at the same time that means he's.peobanly going to take the spot of someone like Jet Woo who could grow into the same role or better, for half the price. 

When did Panarin want to be here?

From what i can tell the negativity around this signing isnt based on much the player has actually done badly. Its all predictions that he'll suck.

Its an interesting bet, I'm curious what they saw and how he fits. Its way too soon to crap on this deal.

6 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

That's only a couple of quotes. Very disingenuous. The posters that I'm referring to are negative all of the time. Referring to them in a couple of quotes is far from focusing solely on them like they focus solely on negativity.

The majority of negativity I've seen over the past few pages have come from posts like yours and others saying similar things.

That's weak and disingenuous justification imo. Should be able to have a discussion without name calling.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

Not sure where you are getting your stats but Poolman has better defensive numbers in a larger sample size, that's why he got a bigger contract.

Career Stats:

Hakanpaa - 62GP, 18:01 TOI/G, 44.2 CF%, 43.9 Fen F%, 41 OiGF, 57 OiGA, 89.1 OiS%, 99.1 PDO, 45.1 OZS%, 54.9 DZS%, 90 blocks, 230 hits

Poolman - 120GP, 16:45 TOI/G, 46.4 CF%, 45.1 Fen F%, 79 OiGF, 84 OiGA, 92.2 OiS%, 101.0 PDO, 48 OZS%, 52 DZS%, 126 blocks, 147 hits

• Vintage 2

17 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

The majority of negativity I've seen over the past few pages have come from posts like yours and others saying similar things.

That's weak and disingenuous justification imo. Should be able to have a discussion without name calling.

Past few pages defending against negative trolls. Past 7 years whining about Benning. Same same.

You really are disingenuous.

I even stated that the reason that I started engaging with the negative posters is because they were attacking fans and using derogatory terms against them.           

You sure the heck didn't call anyone out for that back then.            That was only 5-6 months ago when it started ramping up.

Edited by RWMc1
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1