The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Offer Sheet] Hurricanes offer sheet Jesperi Kotkaniemi

42 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

let's be real the only time player don't sign an offer sheet is either they don't want to play on that team.. or he's close to getting a similar deal from the team he's with.. if someone is offering you a better contract then the one that's given from your team you'd sign it unless you don't want to be there or you think/will get a similar offer from your team. nothing to do with loyalty or not.. 

I think it has to do with the $20, which is clearly a jab. Can a player waive the signing bonus? Don’t think it would break the bank. 

I read somewhere that the Canes had talked the possibility of extension with KK before they signed him to the OS. Because of that I'm wondering if this whole thing actually makes a lot more sense than it appears at first. 

Is it possible that the Canes agreed to to pay him something like 3m x 4years (12m total) but to make the offer sheet work work gave him half in the first year?

In other words, an extension of (something like) 2m x 3 years is already agreed upon in theory. 

That would get KK out of MTL. Pay him more that MTL probably wanted to but not look NEARLY as crazy in the end for the Canes. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I agree in principle but I still think the team making the offer would be important to him. For instance, I don’t believe he’d sign if that offer came from Buffalo. Signing that offer sheet would make him a stupid guy.

Hopefully Petey doesn't talk to Ehroff though. Buffalo gives you the best chance to win cup. Lol. 

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Vanisleryan said:

If Habs agree to pay what KK signed does that mean next season when he is up again he has to get a qualifying offer of at least much?

Short answer: yes. His qualifying offer would be equal to his 2021-22 salary.

Long answer: the Habs wouldn’t necessarily have to qualify him (and they probably wouldn’t). Best case scenario, they get KK to accept an extension that’s lower than the $6.1M. They can negotiate and sign an extension in-season, as early as January 2022, if KK is willing to go that route. Otherwise, they could elect for arbitration, in which case the award can be as low as 85% of the previous year’s salary, so around $5.2M (minimum). Qualifying KK at $6.1M would be their worst option IMO, but I suppose they could do it. More likely they’d just let him go to free agency, if something wasn’t done before the qualifying offer deadline. They could still re-sign him as a UFA, for whatever the market demanded, which I’d still think would be well short of $6.1M.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

I don't think I remember a team that fell off this quick after making the Stanley cup final only a couple months ago (Sens in 2017 didn't make the actual final). 

The draft controversy, Weber likely never playing another game again, Danault (their playoff MVP imo) leaving town and now Kotkaniemi making it clear by signing that deal and reports coming out that he's already been wanting leave just 3 years after being drafted 3rd OA. 

Yikes, Montreal.

Totally but in fairness coming out of the North was some kind of joke.

They get props for beating Vegas.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

I don't think I remember a team that fell off this quick after making the Stanley cup final only a couple months ago (Sens in 2017 didn't make the actual final). 

The draft controversy, Weber likely never playing another game again, Danault (their playoff MVP imo) leaving town and now Kotkaniemi making it clear by signing that deal and reports coming out that he's already been wanting leave just 3 years after being drafted 3rd OA. 

Yikes, Montreal.

Welcome to the salary cap era.  Danault wanted more money and term than Montreal wanted  to offer, Kotkaniemi got 3x his market value. Weber was a beast in the playoffs but honestly he struggled most of the season.  Bergevin could have avoided some of this.  But at the end of the day GM’s have to make player personnel decisions. Case in point t the cup champions Lightening lost their entire 3rd line. 

3 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

How would they have to keep him? They can walk away from him next year.

And lose a 1st and 3rd round pick in the process.... look how bad the naysayers lost it about the Miller deal. Now imagine if he stunk it up for a year then walked.

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

Case in point t the cup champions Lightening lost their entire 3rd line. 

And despite this, they are still so stacked and deep at every position that a 3rd SC championship in a row is a real possibility. Right now, so many non-traditional hockey markets have fantastic, competetive teams. Carolina, Florida, Vegas. If any teams could dethrone the Lightning, it may end up being one of them come next season.

16 minutes ago, coryberg said:

And lose a 1st and 3rd round pick in the process.... look how bad the naysayers lost it about the Miller deal. Now imagine if he stunk it up for a year then walked.

True, I'm assuming they are willing to eat that cost. if he fits they talk reasonable contract, otherwise they part ways.

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Short answer: yes. His qualifying offer would be equal to his 2021-22 salary.

Long answer: the Habs wouldn’t necessarily have to qualify him (and they probably wouldn’t). Best case scenario, they get KK to accept an extension that’s lower than the $6.1M. They can negotiate and sign an extension in-season, as early as January 2022, if KK is willing to go that route. Otherwise, they could elect for arbitration, in which case the award can be as low as 85% of the previous year’s salary, so around $5.2M (minimum). Qualifying KK at $6.1M would be their worst option IMO, but I suppose they could do it. More likely they’d just let him go to free agency, if something wasn’t done before the qualifying offer deadline. They could still re-sign him as a UFA, for whatever the market demanded, which I’d still think would be well short of $6.1M.

Another option, of course, is for the Habs to match, then trade him at the deadline if he doesn't re-sign for less. Of course, if he is unwilling to re-sign for less, then his trade value goes down. To think of it this way: would they get a 1st and a 3rd for him at the deadline if he expects 6.1+ going forward? I doubt it. Surely Mtl. can suss out this info prior to matching, but trade value in-season +/- 1st and 3rd has to way heavily into their decision making process.

• Wat 1

43 minutes ago, We Are All Cucks said:

Another option, of course, is for the Habs to match, then trade him at the deadline if he doesn't re-sign for less. Of course, if he is unwilling to re-sign for less, then his trade value goes down. To think of it this way: would they get a 1st and a 3rd for him at the deadline if he expects 6.1+ going forward? I doubt it. Surely Mtl. can suss out this info prior to matching, but trade value in-season +/- 1st and 3rd has to way heavily into their decision making process.

I thought you can’t trade the player for one year after matching?

• Cheers 3

43 minutes ago, We Are All Cucks said:

They can't trade him for one calender year from the day he signed the offer sheet if they match it.

Thats another beauty twist of the kbife by Carolina here. If Monteal matches they have to sign him to an insane QO or let him walk as a UFA next summer.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1