The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How good is the Canucks D now?

Rate this topic

NHL97OneTimer

30 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

And the rest of the Canadian teams are C+ or better?  C means that we will be in a lot of trouble defensively.  I would think we have a C+ or a B- defense group (average) now.

Right side isn't good.

It's more like left side is B

Right side is C as guys are gonna play out of their skill sets.

Having said that pairings are critical. Sometimes it just works even though it shouldn't.

I think Jets and Habs have a better defense. Leafs don't although Muzzin would be great.

Edited by Chris12345

10 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Right side isn't good.

It's more like left side is B

Right side is C as guys are gonna play out of their skill sets.

Having said that pairings are critical. Sometimes it just works even though it shouldn't.

I think Jets and Habs have a better defense. Leafs don't although Muzzin would be great.

Habs’ and Jets’ Defence LBS.  Canucks have the best D in Canada, and top five in the league.  Habs are a joke of a D, and the Jets now have mr. PED whooping cough loser guy.  God I can’t stand that frighin’ guy.  He’s such a fakearoo. 

On 9/9/2021 at 2:22 PM, Drakrami said:

OEL, Poolman, Rathbone, Schenn are all new. Will depend on how the season progresses and how well we are coached but slapping together a D core half of them new to the team is hardly solid. We just lost our blueline anchor for the past decade - Edler; that's probably bigger than most people imagine. 

when he was actually on the ice and not injured yeah... 

On 9/9/2021 at 11:32 PM, Mathew Barzal said:

Any team with good LW depth will eat us alive. We have four third pairing defenseman manning that side. And if OEL does not revert to something resembling pre-Tochet form our offense will not be able to compensate for our defensive shortcomings.

Barring Shaw implementing a defensive system that utilizes every dman's max potential I think we're in for a rough go this year. 

I’ve read this a few times and not sure what it’s based on?  Is it those comprehensive analytics rankings?  I’d rather rush against Hughes than Hamonic… Poolman isn’t in the NHL for his offence and OEL isn’t looking to bounce back in that end of the ice either.

Myers can have some brain farts (penalties, breakouts, vs the rush) on the right but while he gives up the odd big chance he also mashed people and is a decent PK’er - he isn’t terrible once he hunkers in his own zone and the left side will be manned by rookies or an undersized Hunt.  

I know Im focusing on that one comment - the D do have some questions - but I’d think the RWs are more likely to have our games circled on the calendar.

Edited by ilduce39
  • Like 1

In a general sense, the offensive potential of the Canucks' defense is (likely) greater than their defensive potential.

Having Rathbone in the bottom LD spot should (likely) support this contention, although Joulevi does have some offensive ability..

The defensive potential of the Canucks' defense will (likely) be improved by having Juolevi in the bottom pairing LD position.

In any event, the defense and goal tending for this season are going to rely heavily on support from the forwards (and I mean all four of the forward lines). With the return of some of the guys from last year, and the new additions, I feel a bit more positive in this regard. 

regards,  G.

I keep looking at Capfriendly and think Canucks might need to make a bit more space.  The trading pieces that make sense would be Miller and Myers.  I would try trading Myers (has 10 team NTC) first before Miller.

But Canucks would be left with...

OEL Poolman

Hughes Hamonic 

OJ Schenn

Not bad but not great.  However, it would be $6M available cap space. 

:mellow:

7 hours ago, BPA said:

I keep looking at Capfriendly and think Canucks might need to make a bit more space.  The trading pieces that make sense would be Miller and Myers.  I would try trading Myers (has 10 team NTC) first before Miller.

OEL Poolman

Hughes Hamonic 

OJ Schenn

You’d have to pay to get a team to take Myers’ $6M.

But this is the problem with signings like Pearson and Poolman. Not that they were significant overpays on their own, just that they backed the team into a corner, somewhat unnecessarily. 

• Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/11/2021 at 7:11 PM, BPA said:

OEL Poolman

Hughes Hamonic 

OJ Schenn

Oh man, losing Hamonic now would really be tough.  Having the money to hopefully secure a longer term plan with QH and EP would be great, but holy man do we ever need some cheaper young guys to really step up in a hurry.  That or JB to work some magic in a big trade.  I know Tanev wasn't at his best before we lost him, but he played decent last season I believe and keeping him in this group would have really been nice (cap, ugh).

Edited by NHL97OneTimer

With Hamonic I think we're one of the best defences in the division for sure. OEL-Poolman is going to be a good safe pair that can pitch in offence. Hughes and Hamonic is basically the same pairing but more offence. Rathbone and Myers on the bottom pair may end up being one of our best pairs by the end of the season, and Juolevi and Schenn off the bench gives us one of the deepest defences in the league with a pretty darn good 8th defenceman.

Take a top-4 guy out of the equation like Hamonic and we're stretched a bit thin, all of a sudden have Schenn or Juolevi on our bottom pairing, Myers trying to cover Hughes' defensive gaps and it destabilises the whole thing. JB would have to replace him and in a hurry...

6 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

With Hamonic I think we're one of the best defences in the division for sure. OEL-Poolman is going to be a good safe pair that can pitch in offence. Hughes and Hamonic is basically the same pairing but more offence. Rathbone and Myers on the bottom pair may end up being one of our best pairs by the end of the season, and Juolevi and Schenn off the bench gives us one of the deepest defences in the league with a pretty darn good 8th defenceman.

Take a top-4 guy out of the equation like Hamonic and we're stretched a bit thin, all of a sudden have Schenn or Juolevi on our bottom pairing, Myers trying to cover Hughes' defensive gaps and it destabilises the whole thing. JB would have to replace him and in a hurry...

I think our best bet is to keep an eye out on other teams and see who gets sent down from defensemen.  There should be some quality d-men being put on waivers especially by teams that are deep on that front like Seattle.  

I think that we can survive without Hamonic, but not with both him and Hughes missing.  

27 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I think our best bet is to keep an eye out on other teams and see who gets sent down from defensemen.  There should be some quality d-men being put on waivers especially by teams that are deep on that front like Seattle.  

I think that we can survive without Hamonic, but not with both him and Hughes missing.  

This is my worry, that we start the season with this:

OEL - Poolman

Rathbone - Myers

Juolevi - Schenn

Worst of all is our penalty kill:

Poolman - Myers

Juolevi - Schenn

Whoever's leftover for final minutes...

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Pretty hard to get a top 4 guy through waivers though

On 9/9/2021 at 5:50 PM, mikeyman109 said:

I believe the system was bad last year and had been for a few. This year new d coach and we may see some improvement.

The biggest improvement i think will be in the bottom 6 players all will have a better grip on defensive play. As a group we should be better just from that. Team defense is rarely all about the D men.

Good post and you highlighted a major point, that we had one of (if not) the worst Defensive coaches in professional hockey - worldwide -on our team last year. Now that's he's been shown the door, hopefully our new D-coach can straighten out the mess that he left.- especially teach QH how to be a defenseman and not have to rely on another Dman like Hamonic to keep him from stretching his horrific +/- record into the stratosphere.   

Fingers crossed that better days are ahead for our D Core, especially now that "slow-poke Edler" is finally gone along with a few of the other boat anchors we dragged trough the mud for the last 10 years.  I think this year will certainly be better than last year - by how much??? Time will tell - but i'm more positive on them than in many years.  I think this year will be "THE" turning point.

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Good post and you highlighted a major point, that we had one of (if not) the worst Defensive coaches in professional hockey - worldwide -on our team last year. Now that's he's been shown the door, hopefully our new D-coach can straighten out the mess that he left.- especially teach QH how to be a defenseman and not have to rely on another Dman like Hamonic to keep him from stretching his horrific +/- record into the stratosphere.   

Fingers crossed that better days are ahead for our D Core, especially now that "slow-poke Edler" is finally gone along with a few of the other boat anchors we dragged trough the mud for the last 10 years.  I think this year will certainly be better than last year - by how much??? Time will tell - but i'm more positive on them than in many years.  I think this year will be "THE" turning point.

Baumer is still an assistant and he was the one running the D. 
we let  brown go he ran the special teams . 
we added Shaw but unless they bumped baumer hes still running the d.