The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

18 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

That quote was a joke because he had absolutely no memory of wearing the t-shirt or even knowing where Vancouver was. Then earlier in the week reporters pointed out they found a photo of him with a Vancouver t-shirt on as a kid, hence why he made that joke. He was being sly with that comment lol. 

Regardless though, I'm quite sure Petey is very happy to be playing here lol. But yeah, that quote was definitely a joke on Petey's end. 

Again, someone speaking for him and about him.  Can you point out a reference to it being a joke?

Maybe as a kid in Sweden growing up with a dream of playing hockey he'd heard of these two guys named...the Sedins?  And, quite possibly, that had an impact on him?  

Not suggesting the shirt was intentional but I'm quite sure he likely knew about Vancouver.

33 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Again, someone speaking for him and about him.  Can you point out a reference to it being a joke?

Maybe as a kid in Sweden growing up with a dream of playing hockey he'd heard of these two guys named...the Sedins?  And, quite possibly, that had an impact on him?  

Not suggesting the shirt was intentional but I'm quite sure he likely knew about Vancouver.

They had an appearance about it during the games that week. @tas also alluded to it being tongue in cheek a few pages ago as well.

They did a segment on it a longggg time ago. The whole thing was hilarious. It was nothing against Vancouver, it was just so coincidental he ended up on the team from a city he had on his shirt from when he was young. Neither Pettersson or his parents could remember how they ended up with the shirt. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, -DLC- said:

sorry deb, the poster is right. that interview in the context of the time it was given, his comment was an obvious allusion to a previous interview where it was explained that neither he nor his parents remembered that shirt or where it came from. 

Edited by tas
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, tas said:

sorry deb, the poster is right. that interview in the context of the time it was given, his comment was an obvious allusion to a previous interview where it was explained that neither he nor his parents remembered that shirt or where it came from. 

(psssst I sent it to them)   :lol:

OK, I accept this.  

23 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Every Swedish hockey player knows exactly where Vancouver is.  Trust me I know...  :)

Elias will you just stop trolling our fan base already and sign.   I already went from 6.5-7 x 6 - to 8 x 8 for you...AND said that you are our true saviour over QHs and that he should be the guy we bridge.  Well ... Lets Go Come On Man GIF by filmeditor   

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, captainhorvat said:

About playing for a winning team some where else in the next few years if we ain’t winning

Well then you are disliking his comments (and him for the wrong reasons). He never said he would play elsewehere or leave. He was asked about his future and he stated he wants to be here and the upcoming season is exciting with the new additions. To the second question about his contract he said dunno what will happen after his contract is up, he just wants to play for a team that can win - and even the he was kinda lured into saying something and he just couldn’t express himself all that well. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, Spoosh said:

Well then you are disliking his comments (and him for the wrong reasons). He never said he would play elsewehere or leave. He was asked about his future and he stated he wants to be here and the upcoming season is exciting with the new additions. To the second question about his contract he said dunno what will happen after his contract is up, he just wants to play for a team that can win - and even the he was kinda lured into saying something and he just couldn’t express himself all that well. 

Not only that - he'd make himself a liar after what he said after the season was up.   Who knows his heart but EP, for sure there is a certain amount of PR coaching ... say the wrong thing ... like LE with TG a few years ago - did they not play him anyways!   Yes they did.   We shouldn't take anything too much too heart with both his post exit season stuff, or his swedish comments either.    I'm sure he will be back.   Same with QHs.   Both will be extremely rich young men, and both will try their best to earn it too. 

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Or I have to accept this talk don't fit an NA hockey forum. There are limitations... B)

Not really limitations, just that nobody wants to talk  psycho-babble. Here to discuss hockey, not bullish!t about the theories from our Psych 101 course at the Community College. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

Not really limitations, just that nobody wants to talk  psycho-babble. Here to discuss hockey, not bullish!t about the theories from our Psych 101 course at the Community College. 

Ok, so now you say psycho-babble isn’t prt of the game.

I see a lot of psycho-babble talk here. Almost everything about Ferland is due to psycho-babble. One example…

9 hours ago, stawns said:

I would not put Quinn Hughes in the same category as Rafalski, though he's ballpark, and not even remotely close to housley. Both those guys were small but rafalski couod take care of himself and Housley is one of the best to ever play the position.......both played hard at both ends of the ice 

I'm not saying Hughes isn't immensely talented, I just don't think he's heads and tails the most talented dman they've had.

I would put Hughes in exactly the same category as Phil Housley. Both are small, left handed dmen who are among the best skaters in the entire NHL as well as being among the most offensively gifted dmen in their  respective eras.

Do I expect Quinn to put up as many 20+ goal seasons as Housley did? No, absolutely not but I do expect Quinn to put up far more 50+ assist seasons than Housley. In both Covid shortened seasons, Quinn's only 2 seasons in the NHL, Hughes was on a 55 assist pace over 82 games in both. Hughes has also only missed one NHL game since joining the league.

Not to mention despite putting up 1,232 points, Phil Housley was a career -53, which is by far the worst +/- of any dman with over 1,000 points (of which there are only 8) it's also by far the worst of the top 25 scoring dmen in league history.

Edited by 204CanucksFan
  • Cheers 2

11 hours ago, stawns said:

Hughes likely wouldn't even have been able to play in the league in the 80's-90's with the hitting, slashing, interference etc.

Hughes may not be able to play in the playoffs this season, let alone back then (or the 70's).

In the Vegas bubble series, for lots of legitimate reasons, he was completely overwhelmed.

Such a talent and such a brutal game once The Cup is on the line.

I hope JB gets/keeps a stable of heavy wingers at the ready for the playoffs.

(Theory being that if they're wingers, you don't go down a defenceman when taking penalties.

And they're heavies; they don't have to know how to play defense.) 

Hughes is so good, and small, I think we have to protect him, and definitely create space for him.

Make sure guys like Stone and Reeves don't get free runs at him when he's stuck in their headlights.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

On 9/12/2021 at 12:00 AM, shiznak said:

That’s literally a 10-15 points differential, in a single season.

so someone that contribute 5 points a season is just as vaulable as someone that contributes 15-20 points in the same role? 10-15points = 10-15 more goals the team scores. pretty sure those 10-15 more goals the player contributed to would probably net you a few extra wins per season.

• Vintage 1