The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

3 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I agree....at this point the only update worth hearing is "done deal".  Beyond that....it's basically just more "we're still dragging it out and there's nothing to see here".  It no longer pacifies to hear "soon" because there's no way to measure that.

I'd EXPECT that they ARE in talks....if not, then that's an update in itself.  

It'll get done...but my concern is that Petey's missed a lot of time and this doesn't serve him well.  He needs to be with the team if he wants to help it be a winning one.  I'm not as concerned about Quinn....Petey's my main concern.  He can't sign soon enough for me.

I don't want his agent to be able to use our losses as leverage....even though we iced an AHL lineup, losses don't look good to a guy who wants to win.  But the flipside, for me, is that we NEED him here to increase our odds in that and I hope he wants to be a difference maker.  That's a winner to me.

I sure loved how well we did against their main roster.   Also get that they needed to give their fans a show and TG and crew let them do just that.   Canucks were responsible managers and coaches letting the fringe guys mostly play.   If we beat them then that would have been something but it won't give their camp any leverage.   Hope TG continues to be a good responsible coach, and start to whittle things down a little as we go.   OJ and Boner played fine - both did exactly what they are good at.    That said yes - i'm in total agreement, EP is our main priority, and if that means QHs comes in and needs some overpayment, ive accepted that.   Be nice to have them both home soon.   And playing. 

• Vintage 4

13 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I would have thought they'd be talking the whole time. (Figuratively speaking).

When there is a period of no talking which is large enough to indicate that there was, in fact, a period of no talking - that's not a great sign in itself when we are so close to the start of the season. Sounds like both sides are willing to let this drag on for the sake of getting the best deal, and that isn't *I*deal for the team, or the players.

3 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I would have thought they'd be talking the whole time. (Figuratively speaking).

When there is a period of no talking which is large enough to indicate that there was, in fact, a period of no talking - that's not a great sign in itself when we are so close to the start of the season. Sounds like both sides are willing to let this drag on for the sake of getting the best deal, and that isn't *I*deal for the team, or the players.

My guess is JB said "this is what we have budgeted, take it or leave it".

• Cheers 2

48 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What does “time zone” have to do with this?  Unless it’s meant to be figuratively speaking, which no one uses.  

because at the time of the tweet it was already 8:30 pm in the east and presumably benning wouldn't be potentially having that conversation until after the game ended at 11:30-midnight eastern time. 

pointing out that brisson is in the pacific was to provide context and clarity.  

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, spook007 said:

That part has been over a long time ago... The term will be the sticking point... 

Don't budge JB.

Yep.   If the cap ask will mean we lose guys like Motte, Sutter and one of Hogs or Miller then all that needs to be factored into the opportunity costs as well.    Every single team in the league has to deal with tough choices at some point.    TO lost a few guys like Kapanen, Hyman etc - and don't have the same luxury last year filling in key spots with cheap veterans (well Spezza i guess)... CHI lost guys every single year for about 7 when they were a contender...we aren't even there yet and faced with some of it.    Appearances seem to be that things are amicable still which is nice.    Pretty sure we won't be too disappointed with the result.   Still going to call 8 x 3 and 7.75 x 8....

• Cheers 1

I don’t believe Jb has a choice he can pretend to play hardball but bottom line his job is on the line. 

if your job was on the line would you go into a season without your two best players and fan favourites. 
Owners want to win, jbs traded away multiple 1st rounders so what his two best young superstars sit and he can ice a sub par line up and lose another season and his job. 

That picture seemed like a set up from the agent saying show your having fun and not worried about the contracts it’s a game and jbs job depends on these guys being here. 
the agents and entire league know this is Jim’s last chance season to put up or get out. 
capped out once again he can’t afford his team to do anything but win. 
Contracts are screwy this  summer most thought contracts would go down due to last year Covid and  flat cap but it’s been the opposite especially for high end young rfa  D. 
I just hope these two are in the line up sooner than later regardless of my dislike for JB losing sucks and we’ll be in tough without them. 

And this isn’t bashing JB for those that are over sensitive. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, combover said:

I don’t believe Jb has a choice he can pretend to play hardball but bottom line his job is on the line. 

if your job was on the line would you go into a season without your two best players and fan favourites. 
Owners want to win, jbs traded away multiple 1st rounders so what his two best young superstars sit and he can ice a sub par line up and lose another season and his job. 

That picture seemed like a set up from the agent saying show your having fun and not worried about the contracts it’s a game and jbs job depends on these guys being here. 
the agents and entire league know this is Jim’s last chance season to put up or get out. 
capped out once again he can’t afford his team to do anything but win. 
Contracts are screwy this  summer most thought contracts would go down due to last year Covid and  flat cap but it’s been the opposite especially for high end young rfa  D. 
I just hope these two are in the line up sooner than later regardless of my dislike for JB losing sucks and we’ll be in tough without them. 

And this isn’t bashing JB for those that are over sensitive. 

Sure appears like a JB bashing post.  Benning had the best summer of any GM, and our club has the depth now to cover when guys get injured, or they are holding out.  

• Cheers 2

18 hours ago, shayster007 said:

I actually don't know about that one, and I definitely know that is a colloquialism I use in conversation.  I googled searched it and I couldn't find anything that wasn't in reference to a racoons life span. I'm not sure I entirely follow why it's not about racoons. Is it something to do with racoons being little bandits or trashy? If it's something that can't be said around here feel free to PM me, but I'm sincerly asking because that is something I know I say and would stop if it's not what I think it means.

Edit, someone messages me. I had no idea about the alternate definition of that word, had never heard it used that way before.

17 hours ago, shayster007 said:

Oh damn... I had no idea. I have never heard that before. Better make sure I clean that one up. I would never use that word besides on that one colloquialism but gotta make sure I stop.

15 hours ago, skategal said:

https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/in+a+coon's+age

Jumping into the sub discussion of meanings of terms - I checked this as it's a term I use and always understood it to reference a raccoon's life span.  It does in fact, but as others have indicated, it's also a slang term that is racist so I'll remove it from my vocabulary, along with some of the others referenced in this discussion.  Totem poles, restless natives, my vocabulary needs to improve.  

Thanks all for the thoughtful discussion and perspectives.

It can be hard to keep up, as the new generations change the meanings of words.

sick, used to meant ill; now to some it means great or awesome.

dope can now mean good- "That's dope".

All we can do is correct our terms if they are found, in current times, to be derogatory to anyone. Live and learn.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Sure appears like a JB bashing post.  Benning had the best summer of any GM, and our club has the depth now to cover when guys get injured, or they are holding out.  

Does it -

can he afford to have another losing season? Does that depth offset what hughes and EP bring on an off the ice.

He acquired a 30 year old that’s has  6 years on his contract for a 1st and guys that had one season left. That’s a long term cap hit.

and garland seems good but is yet another very small/slight forward we have a lot of small players. 

And I’m not sold on poolman and his 4 years 

Dickinson was the best signing 

disagree but for me Jb has put this group together to win and that means you need your top line Center and top pair dman. 

Edited by combover

18 minutes ago, combover said:

don’t believe Jb has a choice he can pretend to play hardball but bottom line his job is on the line. 

Honestly; I don't think J.B. has or will do a single thing because he is 'trying' to keep his job.

Lots of post like this, not a single one states any examples of where this 'job saving'  actions took place.

People thought J.B. was worried about his job and needed immediate help to keep it? J.B. drafts Pods, knowing it would be a couple of years before the kid can even play in North America. Drafted him and kept him, no cares for job security.

J.B. worried about his job, sounds dramatic, but no one posts examples of it.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, gurn said:

Honestly; I don't think J.B. has or will do a single thing because he is 'trying' to keep his job.

Lots of post like this, not a single one states any examples of where this 'job saving'  actions took place.

People thought J.B. was worried about his job and needed immediate help to keep it? J.B. drafts Pods, knowing it would be a couple of years before the kid can even play in North America. Drafted him and kept him, no cares for job security.

meh, every GM is one bad move away from losing their job, there's nothing unique happening with the Canucks.

We don't know what's going on with the agents and the contract demands. We do know Jim tends to be OK with some overpayments or at least not squeezing every last penny he can. I'd be very surprised if he was playing hardball at this point, I'm more leaning toward the agent really trying to put Jim in a hard position, because he can.

So we'll see, maybe that fabled offer sheet for Petey shows up soon too.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, gurn said:

It can be hard to keep up, as the new generations change the meanings of words.

sick, used to meant ill; now to some it means great or awesome.

dope can now mean good- "That's dope".

All we can do is correct our terms if they are found, in current times, to be derogatory to anyone. Live and learn.

All you can do is acknowledged your mistake, accept it, and do better in the future. This one legitimately took me by surprise because I have never heard that word use in that way before to be derogatory. A poster told me it was from a book in the 60s, and admitedly being dyslexic I don't read nearly as much as I would like too.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, gurn said:

How many gms have kept there job for 8 losing seasons. While being capped out and trading 1st rounders? 
how many needed a phone call to tell them they weren’t fired? 

one bad move from being fired? Umm I think we’re way past that. 

These owners want to win they’ve over paid failed ufas for years nows the time to play hard ball with the actual future of this team and legit super stars. 

7 minutes ago, combover said:

How many gms have kept there job for 8 losing seasons.

This helps make my point.

8 years.

Still here.

Not one example of how fear, for his job security, forced him to do something he otherwise would not have done.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1